General Admissions & OTCAS Wait a year or go for unaccredited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT2018YUP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a bind. I have been accepted to a school that isn't accredited yet but am in the second class so it should be a year into the program.

I hate debt with a passion and got denied to the state school I live in which is significantly cheaper. I live rent free right now and could make at least 50 k if I stayed and worked at home with free rent and tried again to get into the cheaper state school that is accredited.

My question is should I move out of state and pay more to go to school that isn't accredited yet or roll the dice and try to get into the state school and maybe be able to pay off grad school debt free. The only problem with this is I was denied to almost every school except the out of state school. So if I waited a year and didn't get in again I would be in trouble.....

What to do???

Members don't see this ad.

So I am in a bind. I have been accepted to a school that isn't accredited yet but am in the second class so it should be a year into the program.

I hate debt with a passion and got denied to the state school I live in which is significantly cheaper. I live rent free right now and could make at least 50 k if I stayed and worked at home with free rent and tried again to get into the cheaper state school that is accredited.

My question is should I move out of state and pay more to go to school that isn't accredited yet or roll the dice and try to get into the state school and maybe be able to pay off grad school debt free. The only problem with this is I was denied to almost every school except the out of state school. So if I waited a year and didn't get in again I would be in trouble.....

What to do???

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats?

What to do???

Call AOTA and ask how often a school makes it past candidacy (1year) without completing accreditation. My bet is pretty rare.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They said it was very rare indeed.
There is so much they have to do, and most use consulting in order to make it past the requirements. So if they make it past the first year.. it’s typically a safe bet in my opinion.

As long as you aren’t in the first cohort for a school then I think you would be in a good spot for them being accredited. Hopefully they have a contingency plan in place for the unlikely unaccrediation decision. Then your decision just comes down to money and if you also want to chance not getting into a school next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed for a school that is undergoing accreditation and they said that they cannot start accepting students if they will not be forecasted to be accredited by the time the first class graduates. So, with that said, I think that you will be fine going to the school, but I would call and ask how they are in the process. I asked during my interview and the woman was very candid and gave very honest answers. I'm sure they would do the same. If they don't, I would start second guessing that school. In the end, it is up to you and what you deem more financially suitable for you :) Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user