Waiting for CS scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quincyfuturemd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are alot of these but currently going crazy and will do whatever to help myself and potentially others.

Took CS not that long ago, felt ok (not great) coming out and now starting to think of more and more mistakes, some small and some not so small. I know everyone goes through this but I'm an IMG and can't stop thinking about that extra 8% that supposedly will or could fail this year. I feel I generally got the idea of it and practiced with FA and a partner but I'm also not sure if my mistakes could add up to a fail. Mostly concerned about ICE

Some blunder examples: Didn't perform an essential special PE maneuver (intended to but then forgot in the moment of doing other general PE things), performed another special PE maneuver wrong, narrowed in too soon on one case and forgot to ask some important HPI, had no idea what was going on for 2 cases, ran out of time towards the very end of one case and ran out of time while I was typing the last few words of a couple notes. I rarely had 3 ddx, I was told 2 is fine but it just felt wrong leaving it blank and if I had more time I probably could have made a decent 3rd. One of my dx was also really silly and I instantly regretted it lol

I was surprised by how the intimidation of the exam affected me/slowed me down. My first 3 cases were definitely my most flustered. I was physically shaking so bad during the first one I could hardly type. Things got alot more smooth after that but I still forgot things I had always remembered when practicing. Nerves made me run slower than when I practiced too and I was always down to the wire. Seeing/hearing other test takers open their doors sooner or start typing sooner also amped up the fear.

Anyone out there currently waiting I feel you

Members don't see this ad.

I completely understand you. If you go over my publications, you'll see I did A LOT of mistakes and I still passed, with the grace of God. Chances are: you'll pass too. Especially bc i've noticed that usually, people who fail, are those who are not even aware of their mistakes... Anyway.. please, relax.. I almost went crazy, literally crazy for the last 2 months... and for what?? You can't change anything now.

Reactions: 1 user
So true, thanks! I'm hoping because I'm aware of all these errors it's because I practiced enough to at least pass

I completely understand you. If you go over my publications, you'll see I did A LOT of mistakes and I still passed, with the grace of God. Chances are: you'll pass too. Especially bc i've noticed that usually, people who fail, are those who are not even aware of their mistakes... Anyway.. please, relax.. I almost went crazy, literally crazy for the last 2 months... and for what?? You can't change anything now.
Im taking CS soon and was wondering if you could tell me how the mini cases work? Do we just take history and write down DDs but no PE? How much time do we get for these? I'm a bit confused about this and would appreciate some input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im taking CS soon and was wondering if you could tell me how the mini cases work? Do we just take history and write down DDs but no PE? How much time do we get for these? I'm a bit confused about this and would appreciate some input!

I’m afraid I’m not sure what your question is, I’m sorry.. The FA minicases were designed just so we can develop a better idea of DDX. The cases on the real test have all the same length each, although you might find a telephone case, for example, where you don’t need to perform any PE.
Anyway, good luck on your test!

I’m afraid I’m not sure what your question is, I’m sorry.. The FA minicases were designed just so we can develop a better idea of DDX. The cases on the real test have all the same length each, although you might find a telephone case, for example, where you don’t need to perform any PE.
Anyway, good luck on your test!
ohhh okay that answered my question! Thank you!

Just took CS. Did not expect it to be like that. Went by very quickly and all of my SPs were nice. So many things going through my head.
Things i did wrong:
There was an MSK case where i didnt mention special tests on the patient note even though i performed the test on the patient.
Another MSK case where I wrote the wrong name of the ligament involved. ( i also addressed him by the wrong name because i scribbled so quickly on my paper)
Didn't do closure for one patient because he barely had any history so i was trying to find something on physical exam and ran out of time
About 2 cases where I didnt finish typing out PE findings (but typed out everything else)
Also is it just me or did anyone run out of character space? I had info to add in history and trying to figure out what to delete wasted my time and didn't help cause everything was relevant!

Things i did right:
knock before entering, introduce myself and shook hands, expressed concern etc ( im a US IMG so i think the spoken part should be okay?)
sanitized my hands before every PE, thorough closure explaining diagnostic possibilities and work up
Counselled every patient (except the one)
Was thorough with my history taking/asked the relevant questions

You’re sharing a bit much and just opened an account. Maybe you should enroll at Drexel School of Medicine. You might find more fish to fry there.

Wanted to give an update that I passed! I was mostly borderline for ICE and I practiced with the note template and FA cases with my husband (non medical person) so as everyone has been saying these days the exam is lenient but its not a joke or just an english test. Once upon a time they may have given people who showed up and spoke english a borderline but now those people fail and others who actually study hard can have borderline performance and or barely pass.

Thanks to everyone for the support!!!

Wanted to give an update that I passed! I was mostly borderline for ICE and I practiced with the note template and FA cases with my husband (non medical person) so as everyone has been saying these days the exam is lenient but its not a joke or just an english test. Once upon a time they may have given people who showed up and spoke english a borderline but now those people fail and others who actually study hard can have borderline performance and or barely pass.

Thanks to everyone for the support!!!
I totally second this. I don't know how they score this exam cuz for the amount of stars I have below borderline it should have been a failure. But I passed thankfully. It's a weird exam. Trust me.

Reactions: 1 users
Update: I passsed! I just wanted to say I completely agree with those who posted before me. Study well for this exam. Don't take it lightly. I studied for 2 weeks and went through FA 3-4 times and still got borderline ICE. I'm just happy I passed. Good luck to everyone!

I passed two with TWO stars in the borderline for ICE..everything else to the right. I also practiced every case from FA writing the whole note using USMLE patient note on their website which is timed. That really helped...highly recommend it!

Reactions: 1 users
I passed two with TWO stars in the borderline for ICE..everything else to the right. I also practiced every case from FA writing the whole note using USMLE patient note on their website which is timed. That really helped...highly recommend it!

Can I ask what kind of mistakes you made?
Cause I made a lot lol

Can I ask what kind of mistakes you made?
Cause I made a lot lol
I wish I knew the mistakes I made for the notes...on 2 of the cases as I remember...I ran out of characters so I was typing and then I saw I could no longer continue typing, so frustrating. On 1 note I was running out of time and typing wAS LikE thIS sInCe I WaS typinG LiKE a LUNatiC TO fiNiSh mY NoTE. I am sure they didn't appreciate the caps in between lol

Hey there, Just wanted to say that I was in your position and dreaded the day I got my score, but it all worked out. I know I made a ton of mistakes but I passed. Just wanted to say good luck to you. I'm sure you did fine.

Don’t want to hijack a thread but also didn’t want to start a new one. Took this in September and the three month wait is just ridiculous. Haven’t thought of it much but since we’re now a month away doubt is creeping in. Just looking for reassurance I guess. AMG

Mistakes I can think of:
1. One case where I wasn’t sure what the Dx was. I put 3 dx with supporting evidence, but couldn’t shake the feeling that I was missing a diagnosis they wanted me to pick up on.
2. One case where I thought hyperthyroidism was a possibility but forgot to check thyroid or reflexes.
3. 2 cases of pain in a joint (shoulder and ankle) where I forgot to assess things like sensation or reflexes.
4. Some cases I felt I should’ve given more eye contact to the patient rather than write notes
5. One case I wrote down a physical exam finding that I realized after I actually didn’t find
6. One case where I forgot to write down a physical exam finding
7. Like 6 cases where there was nothing to counsel that I could think of
8. Few ROS things on like 5 cases that in retrospect I wish I’d asked
9. Felt like some of my end of visit summaries were a little hurried
10. I’m sure that some of the “evidence” I used in some cases may not be appropriate for the diagnosis listed. IE it’s arguable if it is supportive or not.

Things I always did:
1. Always greeted and introduced myself. Started with open ended questions.
2. Always expressed concern for the patient and assured them that I’d be there for support. Never interrupted them.
3. Always asked all the relevant history portions (pmhx, psrghx, Famhx, sochx, meds, allergies). summarized the hx to the patient and transitioned to PE.
4. Always washed my hands.
5. Always summarized near the end of visits, counseled/comforted when appropriate, ample time for patient to ask questions and answered them till satisfied.
6. Always finished my notes on time, no sections left blank. Always used evidence to support diagnosis. Felt like most diagnostic tests were appropriate.

I know I should be fine and I haven’t let it bother me much, but this nagging feeling is stuck in my head and getting worse the closer we get. Ahh well hopefully a good nights sleep will help me get over it. Hopefully things go well next month and doesn’t derail residency for me.