Waitlist Survivors c/o 2018!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The vets I talked to prior to making the decision told me don't do it. I was originally going to take the offer, but then was talked out of it by the 3 vets I work with. They broke down how much they are paying in interest alone for the sponsored (instate) tuition at CSU from their DVM degree and then I figured out how much I'd be paying (esp. w/ that graduate plus loan) and that pretty much did it. The one vet w/ around $100 thousand in loans who graduated recently told me she's paying $500 a month just in interest without touching the principal. I'd wind up probably in the $300 thousand ball park or more at the end of vet school. I figured out I'd likely have around $1500-$2000 a month in interest without touching the principal. The thought of being up against those payments plunged me into depression. There really is no right decision, it depends on each person. I had to look honestly at how I am wired and think about how I'd feel trying to pay off so very much debt plus interest. A friend of mine took her CSU non-sponsored offer, that was the right decision for her and she's happy with it and I am there to enthusiastically root her on 100%.
Thank you for that information. I was unaware of truly how insane the debt can get, especially since I didn't even factor in the interest.... Now that I understand exactly what I am getting myself into, my choices for schools will be solely based on the cost of tuition. I always considered that factor but I never took it as seriously as I do now, so thank you!! It's a shame that this is what we have to be faced with to follow our dreams in today's world!

Members don't see this ad.

And if it's going to be that expensive to attend a school, we should get our money back for applying if we get rejected! hah

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything from UIUC over the past week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from UIUC over the past week?
I called yesterday and the woman said that she made 5 OOS offers last week, 2 accepted and 3 declined. She said next week they'll know if the class has anymore seats to offer and go from there. Also, she said people around the #10-15 spot on alternate list have a good chance (or better chance) of being called--not that it makes a difference because we don't know what spot we're on. So essentially, it seems like they aren't going through the list as much as I thought they would.. Oh, and she said there were only 82 people on the OOS wait list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I called yesterday and the woman said that she made 5 OOS offers last week, 2 accepted and 3 declined. She said next week they'll know if the class has anymore seats to offer and go from there. Also, she said people around the #10-15 spot on alternate list have a good chance (or better chance) of being called--not that it makes a difference because we don't know what spot we're on. So essentially, it seems like they aren't going through the list as much as I thought they would.. Oh, and she said there were only 82 people on the OOS wait list.
I appreciate the update. Hopefully there will be good news for some of us next week.

did they say they were doing all the calls today? Or have you heard from anyone else on the IS waiting list that got accepted today? I didn't get a phone cal :( Congrats tho!

They didn't tell anything other than what I needed to know. An "unknown id" number called me and asked if I was myself then said "hopefully I can make your day better"...that was an understatement haha

I only know one more person on the IS waiting list and she hasn't heard anything yet. I was surprised because I hear UF doesn't start calling till mid May. If I had to guess, I don't think they have finished making calls yet. Sorry that I'm not much help, but hopefully I get to see you next year!

Thank you for this information. Here's hoping I'm actually near the top of a list for once. Good luck to you as well.

Atlantic Veterinary College:

Auburn:

CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)

Cornell: onisteverina (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)

Florida: PaulsPaws (IS, Phone, 4/25/14)

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:

KSU:

Lincoln: ashplo457 (OOS, snail mail, 4/1/14)

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)

Missouri: Kittyy (4/15, missed phone call, followed by voicemail and email)

Ohio State: FightingQuaker (4/17/14 IS #3)

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

Royal Veterinary College:

St. George's University:

Tennessee: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)

Texas A&M: kmart93 (was #6 IS, phone, 4/24)

Tufts: brownchickenbrowncow (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14), ntorres (OOS, email, 4/14/14)

Washington State University: Kenggy (WHICHE, phone, 4/9/14)

Western University of Health Sciences:

Yeah I spoke with Ms. Chapparo and she said they wouldn't be making calls til May so idk! But that's great news for you, hopefully I'll be able to join the class with you :))
They didn't tell anything other than what I needed to know. An "unknown id" number called me and asked if I was myself then said "hopefully I can make your day better"...that was an understatement haha

I only know one more person on the IS waiting list and she hasn't heard anything yet. I was surprised because I hear UF doesn't start calling till mid May. If I had to guess, I don't think they have finished making calls yet. Sorry that I'm not much help, but hopefully I get to see you next year!

Has anyone heard anything from U Penn about their waitlist?

I just received an e-mail from the University of Tennessee - they are extending me an offer! I am insanely shocked because I was rejected in February after I interviewed (and not all too surprised by that because I was a nervous wreck at my interview and they were only taking 20 OOS students). The e-mail says it's an unusual circumstance, and that I will need to respond in writing by Wednesday.
I am also still currently on the OOS waiting list for Purdue. I just called their admissions office, and was told that most of the offers have been extended already, but that there may be some minimal movement in the next couple of weeks (no specifics though).
I straight up didn't get into my in-state (Michigan State), Purdue was my second choice, and TN was a back-up option. I cannot believe it! I'm planning on accepting the offer in case Purdue doesn't come through. Don't give up hope! Apparently anything can happen!

Reactions: 6 users
That's awesome! Congratulations!

Yeah I spoke with Ms. Chapparo and she said they wouldn't be making calls til May so idk! But that's great news for you, hopefully I'll be able to join the class with you :))
I was called off the IS waitlist on friday as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
After doing the math, talking to vets w/debt and agonizing over my decision, I've decided to decline CSU non-sponsored offer & try again next year for a sponsored spot. :( Just too much $$ for me. I hope someone on here gets it & can better afford it than I.
Fish pixie, that is a very wise decision - good for you! I've met a number of vets who are underwater on student loans well into their 40s and 50s, and would seriously reconsider an IS position again, if they could. It is definitely a personal decision, though - some people just know which school is right for them, and it happens to be OOS. Either way, if you know you won't be able to mentally contend with OOS debt, one or two extra years waiting for an IS spot won't mean much over your lifetime career. Fingers crossed for your IS offer this year!

Well... I guess I'm going to be an epidemiologist then. I can't afford to apply anymore. C'est la vie I guess.
Nothing wrong with being an epidemiologist! A rewarding career on its own with a lot of potential career paths...and hey, if you were interested in using your DVM to become an epidemiologist anyway, you could pursue an MPH, DrPH or PhD to have the same career...potentially while working and saving some money! But if being a vet is truly what you want, don't give up hope. I know a vet who applied 7 times before getting in. Best of luck this year!

Nothing wrong with being an epidemiologist! A rewarding career on its own with a lot of potential career paths...and hey, if you were interested in using your DVM to become an epidemiologist anyway, you could pursue an MPH, DrPH or PhD to have the same career...potentially while working and saving some money! But if being a vet is truly what you want, don't give up hope. I know a vet who applied 7 times before getting in. Best of luck this year!
I know it's a very good career and I think I would be happy in it, but I've wanted to be a vet since I was 8 so being waitlisted again is dragging me down a bit. I don't think I could apply 7 times, that's a lot! I'm hoping after I get my master's to apply 1 or 2 more times. I just felt stagnant and needed to continue my education. At least it'll be something where I can solve problems. I like mysteries lol

So... called Wisconsin again today and the waitlist has moved a total of 16 spots.. Hope that my periodic updates are helping someone.. haha

So... called Wisconsin again today and the waitlist has moved a total of 16 spots.. Hope that my periodic updates are helping someone.. haha
Helping me a ton!!! I'm OOS #21 now I feel as though I may have a shot! Did they say if they are still making any offers? Thank you so much for the updates!

I'm sure that they must have gone a little bit into the wait list though. There were at least a couple of people who wrote their names down under Michigan State in the "Declined Acceptances" thread. If they give alternates 2 weeks to make a decision, that could be why the class is currently full... since they haven't made a decision to accept or decline yet. That would make sense, right?
Im #1 on the waitlist and i have not been called. Someone else told me not a single person declined i really hope that is not the case. I am instate. I do know theyre calling OOS first though.

I know it's a very good career and I think I would be happy in it, but I've wanted to be a vet since I was 8 so being waitlisted again is dragging me down a bit. I don't think I could apply 7 times, that's a lot! I'm hoping after I get my master's to apply 1 or 2 more times. I just felt stagnant and needed to continue my education. At least it'll be something where I can solve problems. I like mysteries lol
Sending wishes your way that you'll hear from Illinois this week!!!

For those waiting for hear from Minnesota, I emailed admissions for an update on my rank and to ask whether or not the list is moving. The response I got this morning told me that my position on the waitlist (OOS) hasn't changed, and that the class is full, but that there will likely be movement on the list between now and August 27th...

Does anyone know how many people, approximately, that UGA has on their wait list? The highest # I've heard thus far is 32, but surely there must be more? I haven't been able to find any info from previous years, but I'd love to know if anybody can tell me!
We got an email the other day saying our class was complete. I bet there will be a bit of movement, but they seem pretty done for this year.

For those waiting for hear from Minnesota, I emailed admissions for an update on my rank and to ask whether or not the list is moving. The response I got this morning told me that my position on the waitlist (OOS) hasn't changed, and that the class is full, but that there will likely be movement on the list between now and August 27th...

Like you've probably seen I've been #1 on the out of state list since Feb and haven't heard anything since the April 15th update. I officially accepted my IS spot at UF yesterday but am keeping my #1 spot at UM so that once the call me, I can post on here to let you guys know that it's moving! :)

Reactions: 1 users

the class has been full? oh mine...
that's a torture...are u gonna wait until 27th Aug?

the class has been full? oh mine...
that's a torture...are u gonna wait until 27th Aug?
I mean, I only got waitlisted. I'm #92 or #94 OOS (I can't remember which number) at Iowa State and if I ever get a call from them it won't be until late summer anyways. I have no other choice but to wait or apply again next year, so I'm just gonna start looking for ways to strengthen my resume in case I do have to re-apply next year. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna hope for that phone call!

Our class is almost full for the fall semester, however it is likely that students will drop and we will keep selecting off the alternate list. In the past we have contacted alternates up to the week before classes begin in order to keep the class full. That is really the best update that I can give you at this time.

For any K-states on the waitlist with me, this is exactly what Janel e-mailed me this morning.

Helping me a ton!!! I'm OOS #21 now I feel as though I may have a shot! Did they say if they are still making any offers? Thank you so much for the updates!

Okay, I'm glad that I'm helping someone out.. I'm probably driving these people crazy by calling all of the time. I called again and it has moved one spot since my last update on Monday. She wouldn't tell me the status of the class.. but I'm guessing that they just have one spot available on the OOS list if they are giving everyone 24 hours to decide...

For Missouri peeps, I got an email today about the waitlist and whether or not I wanted to stay on it.. (they said I was one of the next people to be offered a spot) and I took myself off the list. Apparently they have one spot to fill for OOS people.

I got the call today! Going to Mississippi State!
:happy::happy::happy:

Auburn:

CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14), dcjohnson (OOS, phone call, 4/30/14)

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

St. George's University:

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

I got the email today! Going to Tuskegee!
:rofl::biglove::banana::soexcited::cryi::D:D

Auburn:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14), dcjohnson (OOS, phone call, 4/30/14)

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

St. George's University:

Tuskegee: Hotfillyky (IS, email, 4/30/2014)

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

Reactions: 4 users
I got the email today! Going to Tuskegee!
:rofl::biglove::banana::soexcited::cryi::D:D
OMG Hotfillyky! Seriously congrats! I know we don't like "know each other" but I've been on here a while and I know how much you want this! So freaking awesome! Congrats again!

Got a phone call from Wisconsin yesterday!!! I'm accepting the spot so I'll be declining my seat at Minnesota. Hope that helps someone!

Reactions: 3 users

Auburn:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

St. George's University:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

Wisconsin: CallieLou (OOS#21, phone, 5/1/14)

Reactions: 2 users
OMG Hotfillyky! Seriously congrats! I know we don't like "know each other" but I've been on here a while and I know how much you want this! So freaking awesome! Congrats again!

Thanks so much! It is a fantastic feeling for sure! I will gladly accept friend requests on fb for anyone interested. :happy: Just shoot me a pm.

Just got the call from illinois today! :D

Reactions: 5 users

Auburn:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois: mihorsegirl (OOS, phone 5/2/14)

Iowa State:

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

St. George's University:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

Wisconsin: CallieLou (OOS#21, phone, 5/1

Congrats guys! I've been rooting for you! Hopefully some more oos waitlisters will be hearing soon.

See you in August :)

Cloverbug, I am soooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Congrats!:soexcited::thumbup:

Thanks everyone! I'm still in shock over all of it and save the voicemail so I can remind myself that it did finally happen.

Thanks everyone! I'm still in shock over all of it and save the voicemail so I can remind myself that it did finally happen.
Confession: I still have the voicemail saved from February last year when I got my acceptance call. Every so often they try to delete it but I always push the resave button... :D

I got a call too! Hi classmate!! :D
Congratulations! If I remember correctly you were going close to giving up weren't you? See, things worked out! I think Illinois is a great program and wish I would have been accepted but they were taking their sweet time calling off of the waitlist and I couldn't wait around, give up my seat elsewhere, just to see IF I would get in. I wish I could have put down deposits like if they were nothing but I don't have that kind of money. Haha, ANYWAY, I'm so happy for you!!! I know how much you wanted it and deserved it!

Congratulations! If I remember correctly you were going close to giving up weren't you? See, things worked out! I think Illinois is a great program and wish I would have been accepted but they were taking their sweet time calling off of the waitlist and I couldn't wait around, give up my seat elsewhere, just to see IF I would get in. I wish I could have put down deposits like if they were nothing but I don't have that kind of money. Haha, ANYWAY, I'm so happy for you!!! I know how much you wanted it and deserved it!
I wasn't giving up persay, just accepting my plan B as a reality lol. It made me a bit more grounded and made me focus on what to do, but I was also being grumpy about it :p Congrats to you as well. We're going to be vets!