-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Waitlist Survivors c/o 2018!
Started by jwliu86
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
major congrats to you! wish some of us waiting on the U of MN would get equally exciting news...on pins and needles with every day that passes....Thrilled though that another on this thread has had their dream come true...hooray!
Very brave and wise. Wish you luck next time. I thought about doing the same thing myself, but I couldn't bring myself to pass up the offer.After doing the math, talking to vets w/debt and agonizing over my decision, I've decided to decline CSU non-sponsored offer & try again next year for a sponsored spot. 🙁 Just too much $$ for me. I hope someone on here gets it & can better afford it than I.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got a call from Dean Read today from Purdue! I got accepted and I am so happy because Purdue is my #1!! =) I will now be declining my Iowa spot and my Michigan waitlist spot as well. I hope this helps someone out!!
Congratulations! And thank you! I am waiting for my spot at Iowa, so it helps me!I just got a call from Dean Read today from Purdue! I got accepted and I am so happy because Purdue is my #1!! =) I will now be declining my Iowa spot and my Michigan waitlist spot as well. I hope this helps someone out!!
Has anyone who got off the Tufts waitlist gotten anything in the mail or received an email from admissions? I got an email from health services regarding immunizations the day after, but I haven't gotten anything from admissions.
What a tough decision to make. 🙁 I understand the feeling as unfortunately the debt load associated with veterinary school (not to mention the cost of applying again) has lead me to the decision that after being waitlisted the last 2 years I will be moving on and not reapplying next year. Debt load to income ratio is not something that many people talk about realistically when it comes to vet school, so good for you for really taking a hard look at it and making an informed decision, even though I'm sure it was not easy! 🙂After doing the math, talking to vets w/debt and agonizing over my decision, I've decided to decline CSU non-sponsored offer & try again next year for a sponsored spot. 🙁 Just too much $$ for me. I hope someone on here gets it & can better afford it than I.
What have other vets said about this? I'm actually very scared about accepting my position at Purdue as OOS because idk how I will ever repay my debt... I do plan to specialize but idk if that makes much of a difference?After doing the math, talking to vets w/debt and agonizing over my decision, I've decided to decline CSU non-sponsored offer & try again next year for a sponsored spot. 🙁 Just too much $$ for me. I hope someone on here gets it & can better afford it than I.
Any word on Kansas from anyone? I haven't seen anything on here or in the Kansas thread, but does anyone have any friends also on the Kansas waitlist that have heard something?
Does anyone know which school has the better large animal (especially equine) program between Purdue and Iowa State (they are also pretty much the same cost for me)? I feel like Purdue felt 'right' when I was there, but I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I'm a little nervous because I was called today by Purdue, and I only have until noon tomorrow to place my deposit, so I think a lot of this is my nerves talking...
Has anyone who got off the Tufts waitlist gotten anything in the mail or received an email from admissions? I got an email from health services regarding immunizations the day after, but I haven't gotten anything from admissions.
I just got a letter from them today that needs to be returned with my decision by April 30th. Still haven't gotten any financial aid information from them though...
SS, I would recommend going with your gut on this one. Also, if you want to explore equine practice/research further, you can always apply for summer research opportunities and equine-specific externships during your fourth year. Whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will be the right fit for you! Congratulations on getting admitted into Purdue and ISU!!!! 🙂Does anyone know which school has the better large animal (especially equine) program between Purdue and Iowa State (they are also pretty much the same cost for me)? I feel like Purdue felt 'right' when I was there, but I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I'm a little nervous because I was called today by Purdue, and I only have until noon tomorrow to place my deposit, so I think a lot of this is my nerves talking...
I don't know which is better, but I do know ~75% of the cases seen in the large animal hospital are equine and, in my experience, there are always horses in the hospital.Does anyone know which school has the better large animal (especially equine) program between Purdue and Iowa State (they are also pretty much the same cost for me)? I feel like Purdue felt 'right' when I was there, but I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I'm a little nervous because I was called today by Purdue, and I only have until noon tomorrow to place my deposit, so I think a lot of this is my nerves talking...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody know if Cornell's list is moving? The wait is killing me. I jump every time my phone rings and get so disappointed when I see it's someone in my phone booke
I got called off the list on the 15th, but not sure if it is still moving.
Does anyone know, or how to find out, how far down the waitlists on average have gone in past years? Would be interesting to find out. Schools if like to know are UMinn, UF and Auburn
I've heard Auburn goes down to around #60-70 typically
UF is 6-10 for ISDoes anyone know, or how to find out, how far down the waitlists on average have gone in past years? Would be interesting to find out. Schools if like to know are UMinn, UF and Auburn
After doing the math, talking to vets w/debt and agonizing over my decision, I've decided to decline CSU non-sponsored offer & try again next year for a sponsored spot. 🙁 Just too much $$ for me. I hope someone on here gets it & can better afford it than I.
O no, that's too bad! Are you moving in-state then?
Good luck for next year!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile
Does anyone know, or how to find out, how far down the waitlists on average have gone in past years? Would be interesting to find out. Schools if like to know are UMinn, UF and Auburn
The UF statistics are on this page: http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/admission-statistics-by-class/
Last year they went about ~50 spots on the OOS wait list, the year before it was ~73.
Does anyone know, or how to find out, how far down the waitlists on average have gone in past years? Would be interesting to find out. Schools if like to know are UMinn, UF and Auburn
University of Minnesota went to 56 last year (I believe the last person got called in like the second week of August). Other than that, I know they went through 34 the past three years. (Note: these are the initial wait list numbers, not the April 15th updates) (Edit: OOS)
hey does anyone have any idea when they will post the C/O 2018 stats on all the colleges websites? june? Im just wondering cause I heard from a lot of people that this seemed to be a pretty competitive year, and I'm just anxious to see the stats of the of how many people applied, etc.
So for anyone who is interested.. I called Wisconsin today and the list hasn't moved since Friday (on Friday, it has moved 3 spots).. I asked if they are waiting until a certain time to allow for post-marked stuff and she said that they weren't, but that there were a couple of ambiguous responses at this point that they are waiting to clear up.. She also mentioned that when they call people off of the list that they are giving 24 hours to decide... kind of wondering if the people called off the waitlist requested more time to decide? Not sure.. but anyhow.. I'm thinking that I might pull myself from the list if I don't hear anything by Friday.
DoctorToby, I doubt that the "successful applicant" stats will be posted until classes begin. Some universities post their current classes' stats after January. It all depends on the school...hey does anyone have any idea when they will post the C/O 2018 stats on all the colleges websites? june? Im just wondering cause I heard from a lot of people that this seemed to be a pretty competitive year, and I'm just anxious to see the stats of the of how many people applied, etc.
Has anyone heard from the instate waitlist at Tennessee?
I emailed UIUC yesterday-ish and Karen said that they'll know if the class of 2018 is full or not in the next few days... So I'm guessing, at this point... it's not looking that good. 🙁Soooo.... anyone brave enough to call U of I and see if their list has been moving at all? At this point I think it's my last hope this year.
Well... I guess I'm going to be an epidemiologist then. I can't afford to apply anymore. C'est la vie I guess.I emailed UIUC yesterday-ish and Karen said that they'll know if the class of 2018 is full or not in the next few days... So I'm guessing, at this point... it's not looking that good. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im going to give up two of my seats one from Auburn and one from Minnesota as soon as everything is all set with my acceptance at Mississippi...just waiting to get paperwork in the mail. So at least those are two new spots
are you os or at Auburn and MN?Im going to give up two of my seats one from Auburn and one from Minnesota as soon as everything is all set with my acceptance at Mississippi...just waiting to get paperwork in the mail. So at least those are two new spots
What do you mean? Im Out of state..im from RI so I have no school contracts or anything. I got into all three and just accepted them all.
sorry - I wasn't clear. I was wondering if you were in state or out of state at either auburn or MN. sounds like you are out of state for both.What do you mean? Im Out of state..im from RI so I have no school contracts or anything. I got into all three and just accepted them all.
Im going to give up two of my seats one from Auburn and one from Minnesota as soon as everything is all set with my acceptance at Mississippi...just waiting to get paperwork in the mail. So at least those are two new spots
Congrats for getting in where you want! I'll probably be getting your spot at Mn since I'm next on the waiting list, and I'm also on the list at Auburn. So thanks a lot!!
Oh good! Im glad someone on here is getting my spot! As soon as everything with Mississippi is finalized I will decline my spots so you can get at least one of them!Congrats for getting in where you want! I'll probably be getting your spot at Mn since I'm next on the waiting list, and I'm also on the list at Auburn. So thanks a lot!!
Have fun at VMRCVM! And congrats again if I didn't say that yet.I withdrew my waitlist position at Illinois, not that I knew if I was remotely close to the top or not. I couldn't wait around forever for them. I'm 100% committed to VMRCVM now, I even just signed a lease today!
Thank you Cloverbug! Don't give up hope yet, something could still turn up. If only U do I would get with it. I know three people declined their OOS admissions so you never know.Have fun at VMRCVM! And congrats again if I didn't say that yet.
Well... I guess I'm going to be an epidemiologist then. I can't afford to apply anymore. C'est la vie I guess.
Don't give up hope just yet; people may decline later. I really sincerely hope you get in.
congrats! what will you do with you MN spot? Are you OOS #1 as well? Minnesota beckons...come to the tundra!Just got my call from UF!! Accepted off the IS list 🙂
Atlantic Veterinary College:
Auburn:
CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)
Cornell: onisteverina (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Florida:
Glasgow:
Guelph:
Illinois:
Iowa State:
KSU:
Lincoln: ashplo457 (OOS, snail mail, 4/1/14)
LSU:
Minnesota:
Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Missouri: Kittyy (4/15, missed phone call, followed by voicemail and email)
Ohio State:
Oklahoma State University:
Oregon State University:
Penn:
Purdue:
Ross University:
Royal Veterinary College:
St. George's University:
Tennessee: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Texas A&M: kmart93 (was #6 IS, phone, 4/24)
Tufts: brownchickenbrowncow (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Tuskegee:
UC Davis:
University of Calgary:
VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14), ntorres (OOS, email, 4/14/14)
Washington State University: Kenggy (WHICHE, phone, 4/9/14)
Western University of Health Sciences:
Auburn:
CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)
Cornell: onisteverina (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Florida:
Glasgow:
Guelph:
Illinois:
Iowa State:
KSU:
Lincoln: ashplo457 (OOS, snail mail, 4/1/14)
LSU:
Minnesota:
Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Missouri: Kittyy (4/15, missed phone call, followed by voicemail and email)
Ohio State:
Oklahoma State University:
Oregon State University:
Penn:
Purdue:
Ross University:
Royal Veterinary College:
St. George's University:
Tennessee: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Texas A&M: kmart93 (was #6 IS, phone, 4/24)
Tufts: brownchickenbrowncow (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Tuskegee:
UC Davis:
University of Calgary:
VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14), ntorres (OOS, email, 4/14/14)
Washington State University: Kenggy (WHICHE, phone, 4/9/14)
Western University of Health Sciences:
Atlantic Veterinary College:
Auburn:
CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)
Cornell: onisteverina (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Florida:
Glasgow:
Guelph:
Illinois:
Iowa State:
KSU:
Lincoln: ashplo457 (OOS, snail mail, 4/1/14)
LSU:
Minnesota:
Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Missouri: Kittyy (4/15, missed phone call, followed by voicemail and email)
Ohio State: FightingQuaker (4/17/14 IS #3)
Oklahoma State University:
Oregon State University:
Penn:
Purdue:
Ross University:
Royal Veterinary College:
St. George's University:
Tennessee: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Texas A&M: kmart93 (was #6 IS, phone, 4/24)
Tufts: brownchickenbrowncow (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Tuskegee:
UC Davis:
University of Calgary:
VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14), ntorres (OOS, email, 4/14/14)
Washington State University: Kenggy (WHICHE, phone, 4/9/14)
Western University of Health Sciences:
Auburn:
CSU: Kenggy (WICHE, phone, 4/9/14), willbvet ( phone 4/15/14, followed next day by portal update), jp2026(OOS, phone, 4/18/14)
Cornell: onisteverina (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Florida:
Glasgow:
Guelph:
Illinois:
Iowa State:
KSU:
Lincoln: ashplo457 (OOS, snail mail, 4/1/14)
LSU:
Minnesota:
Mississippi: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Missouri: Kittyy (4/15, missed phone call, followed by voicemail and email)
Ohio State: FightingQuaker (4/17/14 IS #3)
Oklahoma State University:
Oregon State University:
Penn:
Purdue:
Ross University:
Royal Veterinary College:
St. George's University:
Tennessee: ashplo457 (OOS, phone and email, 4/16/14)
Texas A&M: kmart93 (was #6 IS, phone, 4/24)
Tufts: brownchickenbrowncow (OOS, phone, 4/15/14)
Tuskegee:
UC Davis:
University of Calgary:
VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14), ntorres (OOS, email, 4/14/14)
Washington State University: Kenggy (WHICHE, phone, 4/9/14)
Western University of Health Sciences:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats! what will you do with you MN spot? Are you OOS #1 as well? Minnesota beckons...come to the tundra!
Still haven't heard from UMinn, so I'm still #1 on OOS. Honestly I really want to go to Minneapolis and live in a city as I've lived in northern FL for 5 years BUT the IS tuition sounds like it's too great to pass up on.
did they say they were doing all the calls today? Or have you heard from anyone else on the IS waiting list that got accepted today? I didn't get a phone cal 🙁 Congrats tho!Still haven't heard from UMinn, so I'm still #1 on OOS. Honestly I really want to go to Minneapolis and live in a city as I've lived in northern FL for 5 years BUT the IS tuition sounds like it's too great to pass up on.
Last edited:
The vets I talked to prior to making the decision told me don't do it. I was originally going to take the offer, but then was talked out of it by the 3 vets I work with. They broke down how much they are paying in interest alone for the sponsored (instate) tuition at CSU from their DVM degree and then I figured out how much I'd be paying (esp. w/ that graduate plus loan) and that pretty much did it. The one vet w/ around $100 thousand in loans who graduated recently told me she's paying $500 a month just in interest without touching the principal. I'd wind up probably in the $300 thousand ball park or more at the end of vet school. I figured out I'd likely have around $1500-$2000 a month in interest without touching the principal. The thought of being up against those payments plunged me into depression. There really is no right decision, it depends on each person. I had to look honestly at how I am wired and think about how I'd feel trying to pay off so very much debt plus interest. A friend of mine took her CSU non-sponsored offer, that was the right decision for her and she's happy with it and I am there to enthusiastically root her on 100%.What have other vets said about this? I'm actually very scared about accepting my position at Purdue as OOS because idk how I will ever repay my debt... I do plan to specialize but idk if that makes much of a difference?
Last edited:
Thanks much kenggy! I need all the luck I can get! I live in Colorado now, CSU puts resident CO alternates on both the sponsored and non-sponsored alternate lists. The non-sponsored list moves quite a bit more than the sponsored alternate list. I may yet still get a call for the sponsored list (crossing finger toes and eyes!!) for this year & get to be your classmate. If I do, omg, omg, there will be some joy here!! Not counting on a second call, though, since the sponsored list usually hardly moves, but, one can keep hope alive, might as well! If I'm not offered a spot this year, I'll work, save money, do my best to enjoy life and reapply next year. From everyone I met at the showcase, seemed like a really, really great group of people were potentially going to be the CSU 2018 class, I wish the very best to you!!O no, that's too bad! Are you moving in-state then?
Good luck for next year!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile
Last edited:
repost