Waitlist watch: Who has released a seat at a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swdave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we'll get some action here.

All of us waitlisters are eager to hear of students that have multiple acceptances and have just now turned them down.

I'm on 2 waitlists currently and I'm interested in knowing if people are releasing seats that may open up an opportunity for me.

You can also post if you are still deciding between multiple acceptances.

Thanks,

Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I don't know if this helps you, but I declined AZCOM and TUCOM a couple of weeks ago. Best of luck!,

Zach

Steve,

I'm assuming the seat you released at AZCOM was before the 2nd deposit.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
I let go a seat at KCOM about a week ago.

Dave,
yeah, it was before the first.

I turned down LECOM a while ago and just yesterday I turned down KCOM over the phone but they said they needed a letter from me stating that I am withdrawing my application. I have yet to send that in. To help those of you waiting, I will send it out Monday.

Hey Bubba and Aloha Kid,

Did either of you end up paying that $1000 nonrefundable deposit at KCOM?

I really worried about that after my visit but my bombed out interview kept me from dealing with it since I didn't get an acceptance. :(

Dave

I'm pretty sure after May 15th you are only allowed to hold one acceptace. GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE WAITLISTED. Hopefully you should hear within the next couple weeks.

I have sent letters to COMP, KCOM, TUCOM.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

electra

Let go of LECOM.... and sent out letters to all the schools saying I'm not interested anymore. This was awhile back so I don't think that would help to much. Good luck to those waitlisted.... I'm sure it's quite nerve racking!!! :eek:

i let go of one at DMU this week, and UHS previous to that. good luck to all, i really know how this goes. i was waitlisted at a few schools in the past myself.

If this will help anybody...I widthdrew from COMP last week.

Declined seat at TOURO, UHS-COM, AZCOM. Withdrew from waitlist at WESTERN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just emailed tucom yesterday and gave up my seat, hope this helps someone. Good luck

Hey j8463dp,

You're spot on with the May 15th date but that is only for MD schools.

The DO schools do not have anything like the May-15th-commit-to-only-one-school deadline. Some of the admission people really would like it but I'm not sure what determines if it will happen or not.

One MD friend of mine that got accepted very shortly before school started claims that the May 15th date isn't really strictly adhered to.

To those of you waiting...I removed my name from LECOM, and DMU, and declined UHS-COM and MSU-COM.

GOOD LUCK.

swdave,

You asked me a couple of posts back whether or not I paid the $1000 to KCOM before I withdrew. The answer is YUP, SURE DID. It's nonrefundable too.

It was such a tough decision and I have never kissed so much money good bye in my life. Anyway, that's how strongly I feel about AZCOM. ;)

Aloha,
I can beat that. I slapped down the full 1500 and just withdrew my app. - ouch!

Ewwwwww!!

Where was that? I thought someone told me Touro was 2k or something close to it. While we're at it, what school did you accept at?

Dave

I blew the two grand to TUCOM. But I don't regret it in the least.

That was at KCOM. I'm headed to UHS instead. In KC it will be much easier for my wife to find a job and to find housing which allows pets.

I was just informed via e-mail that someone made a difficult choice between PCOM and AZCOM and decided to release a spot to a PCOM waitlister (let's hope).

MSUCOM hasn't had any movement on their waitlist.

AZCOM's waitlist hasn't been ranked yet.

Dave

I want that PCOM seat really bad. There doesn't seem to be much talk about PCOM's alternate list moving. I called a week ago and they said that no one from the waitlist has been accepted yet. Please let us waitlisters know if there is any movement, especially at PCOM. Thanks

also if anyone knows the date whereabouts movement in the past has occured, that would be cool

WELCOME TO SDN!!! Patrick O.... Remember that most schools accept more people than the class size, so I think that one person may not necessarily be filled by someone on the waitlist.

I do hope you get accepted.... Good luck!!! :cool:

We need to revive some action on this post... if you don't know about any slots being available.. make it up to make me feel better... I'm wait listed dammit

Pat :p

I let go of LECOM and my $1500. I'm about to pay a total of $2000 to CCOM tomorrow although I am still waitlisted at MSUCOM. This $$$ system is ridiculous. Most of our allopathic counterparts have much lower deposits. I hate it. :(

I think PatrickO is absolutely right.... Anyone else off the waitlist by now? IF NOT....YOU SHOULD BE!!! :eek:

Give the waitlisted people time to breath a nice sigh before they start medical school.... that's if they get accepted!!!

It's all a horrible game.

I'm accepted at one and waitlisted at 2. My number 1 I'm still waitlisted at and will free up some spots at least one more school if I get the acceptance I'm hoping for.

I spoke to the admissions guy at AZCOM this morning and he said that when they start calling the alternate list a LARGE percentage of the people they call never bothered to inform the school that they had already made a firm decision on another school. IE: call 8 people on the alternate list to fill one spot.

I'm also of the opinion that the waitlist movement will be later this year because of AACOMAS's problems with applications.

Dave

swdave, the movement at AZCOM may already be starting. I just got back from Phoenix and found a message from a pal on email who stated that she had just got her acceptance notification from AZCOM, and she had been wait listed. She will be coming to join us, so your wait may not be long at all. I'm sure you'll get the call, so let us know when you do! I'm still gonna hold you to that barbeque that you promised all of your classmates!

Muonwhiz,

I messaged you about this. GIVE ME THE SCOOP since it contradicts what I've be hearing from AZCOM.

Dave

I was offered a seat at COMP yesterday but I have already paid a portion of my deposit at CCOM...I'm not quite sure which I'll take yet.

Stay at CCOM, then they might offer me the position!

i turned down osu last week and will give up a spot at dmu this week. good luck.

Anyone else released a seat recently. I've heard of a few from DMU, KCOM and MSUCOM.

I'd also like to know if there are any from AZCOM thinking of releasing one.

DON'T keep us in the dark now.

Dave

DMU class of 2005 is supposedly filled already!!! This is from the admission's people when I asked them....

Yes I must ask again, if there is any movement at PCOM?
Thanks, Pat :)

I hear from admissions that NSUCOM is also already filled. AJC :D

Hey everyone,

I'm guessing we need a little clarification here.

Waitlists or alternate lists exist at ALL schools that have a FULL class.

There are almost ALWAYS people holding a seat at multiple schools sometimes trying to decide which one to go to.

I'm pretty sure that EVERY school has a full class at this very moment. But this changes as August approaches.

Because a class will shrink before school starts the schools have an alternate list to draw from IF students start dropping.

This happens quite regularly to varying degrees. Some schools will have several hundred alternates others will have less than 30. The schools judge this from experience.

I'd say more but I've got kids crying.

Later,

Dave

Don't these individuals need to make a decision to one school to get private loans?

Not sure how the loans would be affected but I do know that it's not uncommon for one or two students to get in off the waitlist AFTER everyone else has started classes.

Certainly not the ideal circumstance but it occurs.

I recently had one adcom staffer relate a story where a student had already started classes at one DO school, got a VERY late spot at another school and uprooted immediately to take the new spot. Left his/her apartment fully furnished and came back to get it later.

It's the waitlist shuffle. You have to be very flexible, especially if you don't have a school you've been accepted at.

Dave

I am wondering if anyone is knowledgable on the amount of people on LECOM's waitlist. I have been on the waitlist for almost 5 months. I believe I am going CRAZY! I just heard too that schools may be accepting April MCATS from those on the waitlist. If this is true, it not only sucks but decreases my chances by however many people are on the waitlist divided by how many took the April MCAT! Not good odds(provided they did GOOD on the MCAT!) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

about the april 2001 mcats for entrance into medical school for this august, look in the mcat 2001 registration book page 29.It looks like you might be able to use your scores from this aprils test if your still waiting.I guess the school had to let you know to retake in april to be reconsidered.

I must confess, I don't know what you are talking about since my MCAT registration books from last august were burned a long time ago. You say in the newest booklet that if you are waitlisted they can look at these April ones to help you get into school in the same year? What is that?, and how does that take precedence over the policy a school puts out to the applying public?
These questions aren't specifically directed to the previous poster, I'm just throwing them out.
Pat

Hey pat, this is jason silversteen, i changed my name because i like this one better. About this april MCAT thing, sophiababe is right! This is what it says in the MCAT registration book:

NOTICE TO AMCAS APPLICANTS FOR 2001 MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSION:

IF YOU ARE STILL UNDER SCTIVE CONSIDERATION FOR THE 2001 ENTERING CLASS BY ANY OF YOUR DESIGNATED SCHOOLS AND YOU RELEASE YOUR APRIL 2001 MCAT SCORES TO AAMC ON TEST DAY, AAMC WILL AUTOMATICALLY FORWARD THOSE SCORES TO AAMC PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS TO WHICH YOU APPLIED FOR ADMISSION IN 2001. DUE TO THE TIME CRITICAL NATURE OF SUCH SITUATIONS, IF YOU ARE STILL UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR 2001 ADMISSION, YOU ARE STONGLY ENCOURAGED TO RELEASE YOUR APRIL 2001 SCORES TO AAMC ON TEST DAY.

Ok, Pat, that is what it says. Except it is a notice to amcas applicants, not form osteopathic. I dont know if it applies to both or just to MD schools. WE NEED TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is that the waitlist is agony. It has really got me depressed. I am usually a person of good spirits but I am down in the dumps. Everyday I come home from my job and look at the answering machine to see if it is blinking and theres a message from PCOM, and everyday there is none. I feel like I busted my ass as an undergrad, and this year that I took off to do medical researh for nothing. All I ever wanted was to attend PCOM and I am faced with some big decisions at the moment. "I" spent 1500 dollars to secure a spot at LECOM.... 1500 dollars that I really didn't have to spend... and now I am toying around with the idea of forfeiting my acceptance and trying again. Man this sucks.... what else can I do.....
I want to be able to say "dreams can come true" like all the waitlisters on the allopathic forums that are getting accepted... why is there no movement like that on the osteopathic forums?

All I can do is be patient amd wait some more... oh but I have already been doing that for a long time.

And as far as that MCAT crap.... the committee should have still made that aware of in the interview....or at least in the waitlist letter... where it said send in additional materials... grades, publications (which I sent in), and other stuff.

Pat :(

Pat.... oh no.... don't toy with that idea.... Personally.... You've been given a spot for Class of 2005... Take it.... But I guess, in retrospect.... It's all up to you buddy!!!

Hey Patrick,
wouldn't it be ironic if there was a person right now wondering why she is waitlisted at LECOM and the list is not moving. I hate to pour salt on your wounds, but you are holding a golden ticket. You have to let it go in order for the list to move, just like someone at PCOM would have to let go of their spot. Face up to the current situation. It sounds like you have talked yourself out of being happy at LECOM. If that is true, indeed give that dream to someone else. If you would be happy at LECOM, then start preparing yourself for going there in the fall and forget about PCOM for now. If by chance something does happen with the PCOM waitlist and you are invited into the class, deal with it then. For the sake of those going to LECOM or thinking about it, don't make it sound like the end of the world. If you don't want it to be a part of your world, make it so.

Don't mean to be harsh.

that was a great point KCOM. I am on the waiting list at LECOM and want to go there so much it hurts. I feel pats pain and it is stressfull. I just hope that people start letting go of seats soon. Im getting antsy. Hell, I've been antsy!

I really am bored and all I think about is when LECOM is going to get moving. I think I would rather get hit with a lead pipe than deal with this torture. Im really serious about that!