waitlist withdrawal letter ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnisit1234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i haven't had the best experience with an admissions office and was waitlisted there. since i would like to withdraw, is the following sentence to mean? they've just strung me a long (i interviewed in early october) and just heard about the waitlist and really not been helpful in terms of me and my parents asking questions...

"I will be attending X medical school this coming fall because I am unable to to wait for a more specific response from your office. "

Does it matter if it's a little abrupt?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, I think that's just fine. If you have someplace else to go, then they missed out because they were too stupid to realize what you had to offer. This process is very cruel, so you have every right to give them a taste of your frustration. :mad: Plus, you're simply stating the real reason why you are withdrawing. They need to know, and I don't think that this is mean at all. I think that it will help them evaluate how students feel about their admissions process.

I would be more curteous to them. What if for whatever reason you decide to go to that school for residency (you never know) and for whatever reason they decide to pull out your file from when you applied to med school and find that letter.

It probably won't happen but you never know. Why burn your bridges? If you want to give them critisizm there are more tactful ways to do that. Try constructive instead of destructive.

Also you shouldn't blame the school for taking so long with decisions about the waitlist. If they considered you to be a borderline candidate the school needs to wait until they finish their interviews to compare you to other borderline candidates to decide who should be accepted and who should be waitlisted.

Use some tact and common sense

Members don't see this ad :)
TheRussian said:
I would be more curteous to them. What if for whatever reason you decide to go to that school for residency (you never know) and for whatever reason they decide to pull out your file from when you applied to med school and find that letter.

It probably won't happen but you never know. Why burn your bridges? If you want to give them critisizm there are more tactful ways to do that. Try constructive instead of destructive.

Also you shouldn't blame the school for taking so long with decisions about the waitlist. If they considered you to be a borderline candidate the school needs to wait until they finish their interviews to compare you to other borderline candidates to decide who should be accepted and who should be waitlisted.

Use some tact and common sense

I agree. You never know what the future will bring.

Looks fine to me. You told them what they need to know. Do they really have time to read a 10 page letter telling them how wonderful they are only to read in there somewhere that you won't be going to their school.

I don't see anything bad or negative in that sentance. And I don't see how that would be burning bridges. But then again, If I were the school, I would prefer simple and straight to the point letters - which you gave.

Johnisit1234 said:
i haven't had the best experience with an admissions office and was waitlisted there. since i would like to withdraw, is the following sentence to mean? they've just strung me a long (i interviewed in early october) and just heard about the waitlist and really not been helpful in terms of me and my parents asking questions...

"I will be attending X medical school this coming fall because I am unable to to wait for a more specific response from your office. "

Does it matter if it's a little abrupt?

this place sounds like Baylor to me .. hah

I think it's fine. I don't even think it's that rude. Besides, do you really think the residency program is talking to the medical school? I don't. Do you really think they would dig through files several years old to find you? Pretty unlikely. Do you think they keep some blacklist for every applicant they didn't like so that the residency program knows who not to take 4+ years down the line? Hilarious thought, but probably not.