waitlisted. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinny11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently added to the "alternate list" at the University of Iowa. I am an in-state resident and I thought my stats were good enough to get me in. I have accepted a research position through the orthopaedic department for this summer and I have even been looking at buying a small house in Iowa City with my girlfriend. Iowa is far and away my first choice. Is there anything that I can do? Please, please send advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you could be directly in touch with whomever is in charge of admissions, and ask that person what you should do. I would also send a strong letter of interest and a letter of intent.

I think the school, or the admissions director, will be willing to tell you what to do, if anything to enhance your chances of being accepted. So ask them also.

Goodluck, I really hope that you are accepted soon.

Vinny-

I am in the same boat with you. I bring my reply to the admission office and talk to the lady who takes care of the letters and stuffs. She will tell you how many people are on the waitlist (alternate list) and what your initial ranking is. According to her, last year they admit 15-20 students from the waitlist (for in-state students). They maintain 2 lists, one for instate and one for out-state students. I am not sure when the waitlist moves, so you may want to call or go to the admission office to discuss about your situation.

Bacteria - Soon to Infect Somebody's heart!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks nap and bacteriaER...anyone else?

Send an additional letter of recommendation. I did exactly this when I was placed on a pre-interview hold at several schools. They came through with interviews. I don't see why it wouldn't help in your situation as well.

just sent my second 'update' letter. You all may remember the one I sent to UF that alot of you asked to see. Well I think this one is improved and it's for U Chicago. I attached a letter of rec, but the letter was actually a nomination for an award "outstanding senior award" but it did discuss academics and other things I would like them to hear. ANyway, the secretaries at all 3 places I've kept in contact with in the past week have been very supportive of sending everything and anything that I think would be helpful. Also April (mid to late) was when the ball would begin its roll..