Waitlisted = this sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidLynd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did my interview at Louisville and immediately received a "waitlist" email. Since I have not heard from any my other apps, all my hopes are on UofL (whic is fine because it is my first choice anyway.)

In your opinion, do waitlisted candidates get called? Is there anyway to find out more info on a waitlist status?

Has anyone else been waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

Did my interview at Louisville and immediately received a "waitlist" email. Since I have not heard from any my other apps, all my hopes are on UofL (whic is fine because it is my first choice anyway.)

In your opinion, do waitlisted candidates get called? Is there anyway to find out more info on a waitlist status?

Has anyone else been waitlisted?

When did you interview? Are you an in-state resident?

I didn't get off my waitlist last year. I guess some do but it seems more often than not it ends up in a rejection. Sorry man, all you can do is wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 1/31 with about 18 other people - about 15 males and 3 femals. I'm out of state. Hoping for movement on the list

Wait list = best to take it as rejection so you're not disappointed

Wait list = best to take it as rejection so you're not disappointed

For sake of mind its better to think the inverse. Negative thoughts leads to negative outcomes. Positivity always wins at the end!

Interviewed on 1/31 with about 18 other people - about 15 males and 3 femals. I'm out of state. Hoping for movement on the list

Did they happen to mention how many spots were still left?

For sake of mind its better to think the inverse. Negative thoughts leads to negative outcomes. Positivity always wins at the end!

Nah. I'd rather not wake up every day hoping I'm going to get a lucky email. And then look back on it and realize I wasted 4 months of my life waiting for something that wasn't going to happen. That's just my mindset.

Out of curiosity, were there any in state interviewees there too?

As I heard from a recently graduated dentist, you should call frequently since a spot may open up anytime. For ex, someone may have a family emergency that puts them out of school or some other thing that prevents them from attending. If dental schools have an opening, they will think of the last person who called about a spot.

Nah. I'd rather not wake up every day hoping I'm going to get a lucky email. And then look back on it and realize I wasted 4 months of my life waiting for something that wasn't going to happen. That's just my mindset.

its only a waste if you believe you're not worthy of d-school. if you want it bad enough you should think about it every day even when you've been accepted.

As I heard from a recently graduated dentist, you should call frequently since a spot may open up anytime. For ex, someone may have a family emergency that puts them out of school or some other thing that prevents them from attending. If dental schools have an opening, they will think of the last person who called about a spot.

That's interesting. I always assumed that your wait list ranking was determined by when you were put on the wait list (i.e. when a spot opened, the people who were put on the wait list first would be accepted first when a spot opened).

I've been wait listed for 3 years in a row now (not this year so far) so I know how you feel. I agree though, there's no harm in calling and letting a school know you are interested and you might get lucky!

That's interesting. I always assumed that your wait list ranking was determined by when you were put on the wait list (i.e. when a spot opened, the people who were put on the wait list first would be accepted first when a spot opened).

That's what I thought too. If anything I think a "Letter of Intent" would be more useful. It just reaffirms your interest in the school in writing.

this is hearsay, but this seems the most logical to me too. schools do a pseudo rank system but it differs from pre-interview ranks in that the most heavily weighed factor becomes whether or not you'll attend if you've been given an invite.

at that point their need for filling that spot is a lot of pressure, and the stats of people who barely missed the cutoff for an acceptance are fairly homogeneous anyway.

by nagging them you show that assured interest in the school and the person in charge just might take you for the hell of it.

the other obvious one is that kids who live nearer to the school get preferential treatment, and that's something you see a lot especially nearing matriculation. so if you're international or out of state, getting off that waitlist is an arduous task.

Last edited:
UofL is a good dental school. Although it is in Kentucky, they recently renovated their dental school and increased the number of OOS seats. Because of this, they are still interviewing although all of their seats are taken. However, a good amount of people will drop out later once they get accepted to better or their state schools, especially people who are OOS. You indicated that you are also an OOS, so you do have some chance. I remember some people last year were accepted in late March. You def. need to let them know that you are interested in their program, but I wouldn't call them too often. Dr. Babbage, who is like the dean of UofL admission is a very nice person, so you might want to give her an email about your situation. -GOOD LUCK!

this is heresay, but this seems the most logical to me too. schools do a pseudo rank system but it differs from pre-interview ranks in that the most heavily weighed factor becomes whether or not you'll attend if you've been given an invite.

at that point their need for filling that spot is a lot of pressure, and the stats of people who barely missed the cutoff for an acceptance are fairly homogeneous anyway.

by nagging them you show that assured interest in the school and the person in charge just might take you for the hell of it.

the other obvious one is that kids who live nearer to the school get preferential treatment, and that's something you see a lot especially nearing matriculation. so if you're international or out of state, getting off that waitlist is an arduous task.

My point exactly

Do you know for sure that all the seats are already filled? Do you know when deposits are due?

Everyone I interviewed with us OOS.