-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I want off of this emotional roller coasterTomorrows still Monday. All is not lost yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too. Mentally I've gotten off the ride and am getting set for the next year. I have a job interview this week for a really cool research position. At this point I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up and be disappointed.I want off of this emotional roller coaster
Sent from my HTC One using SDN mobile
The rule book has been torn up for the people on this thread. There have been too many miracles to make statistical sense. I think more are coming.
The rule book has been torn up for the people on this thread. There have been too many miracles to make statistical sense. I think more are coming.
Hope so
+1Hope so
I'm pretty convinced that if I get lucky, it will be after I've paid for every secondary I'm planning on filling out this year.
LOL Murphy's Law of med school re-applicationI'm pretty convinced that if I get lucky, it will be after I've paid for every secondary I'm planning on filling out this year.
Sent from my HTC One using SDN mobile
There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.
Agreed, I don't like being strung along.There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.
Unrelated/related I had a really good chocolate cream filled donut with blue icing for the 4th. Turned my mouth blue but it was worth it [emoji16]
Sent from my HTC One using SDN mobile
Story of my life with Tufts' waitlist. It hurts too, because I pretty much kicked their MBS program's ass last year. I just heard from someone that admissions has sent out emails to accepted students asking if anyone wants to defer, so I've pretty much thrown in the towel at this point.There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.
There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.
Yep.
This is my second year being waitlisted, and it would be easier to be outright rejected. I had to tell my employers that I can't give them a 2-week notice if I get a call the day before school starts; I'm also waiting around (until the last minute, mind you) to take out more loans for my Master's.
I suppose I just don't understand how it is such an impossibility to tell a student 'yay' or 'nay' -- all it takes is a look at my file and a brief moment of consideration to determine whether or not one of the last seats will go to me. If not, then I'd be happy with a "bye, Felicia". I'd be merrily on my way, knowing with certainty what is to come. Instead, I'm met with, "Honestly, we don't know." Well, honestly, when you're in my position, it's pretty hard to believe that statement.
"Be patient." Yeah? Well I've been on the waitlist for over 8 months, without any whisper of an indication of my REAL chances, and have to put all concrete plans on-hold in the off chance I get a phone call. Feel like I'm blindly groping about in the vacuum of space...
EDIT: Annnnnndddd as soon as I hit submit on my mini-rant, I get a call from the area code of my prospective school. It was FedEx. *flatline*
Last edited:
Hey y'all. Just want to jump on the I'm-waitlisted-and-this-bites-and-I-just-want-to-know-and-I'll-eat-100-bananas-for-an-acceptance bandwagon, if you guys'll have me
. (I might have added that last bit just for myself..)
Little do you know how much I am rooting for all of us. Can't wait to read about the next person that gets accepted!
Little do you know how much I am rooting for all of us. Can't wait to read about the next person that gets accepted!
Hey y'all. Just want to jump on the I'm-waitlisted-and-this-bites-and-I-just-want-to-know-and-I'll-eat-100-bananas-for-an-acceptance bandwagon, if you guys'll have me. (I might have added that last bit just for myself..)
Little do you know how much I am rooting for all of us. Can't wait to read about the next person that gets accepted!
Your avatar is morbid. I love it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep.
This is my second year being waitlisted, and it would be easier to be outright rejected. I had to tell my employers that I can't give them a 2-week notice if I get a call the day before school starts; I'm also waiting around (until the last minute, mind you) to take out more loans for my Master's.
I suppose I just don't understand how it is such an impossibility to tell a student 'yay' or 'nay' -- all it takes is a look at my file and a brief moment of consideration to determine whether or not one of the last seats will go to me. If not, then I'd be happy with a "bye, Felicia". I'd be merrily on my way, knowing with certainty what is to come. Instead, I'm met with, "Honestly, we don't know." Well, honestly, when you're in my position, it's pretty hard to believe that statement.
"Be patient." Yeah? Well I've been on the waitlist for over 8 months, without any whisper of an indication of my REAL chances, and have to put all concrete plans on-hold in the off chance I get a phone call. Feel like I'm blindly groping about in the vacuum of space...
EDIT: Annnnnndddd as soon as I hit submit on my mini-rant, I get a call from the area code of my prospective school. It was FedEx. *flatline*
That whole thing sounds way too familiar. Especially that edit. Like....that's brutal. I'm on the Tulane waitlist, and I get spam calls "from New Orleans" all the time and the caller ID says something something MD which gets me all excited. It's a life alert call. It's happened like 5 times now. And on top of that, I still know exactly zero about my chances. I mean, they're obviously not great at this point, but am I #1 on the wait list or #37?
7
723794
i heard thats one of the better feeder programs tooStory of my life with Tufts' waitlist. It hurts too, because I pretty much kicked their MBS program's ass last year. I just heard from someone that admissions has sent out emails to accepted students asking if anyone wants to defer, so I've pretty much thrown in the towel at this point.
Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.
I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)
I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)
That whole thing sounds way too familiar. Especially that edit. Like....that's brutal. I'm on the Tulane waitlist, and I get spam calls "from New Orleans" all the time and the caller ID says something something MD which gets me all excited. It's a life alert call. It's happened like 5 times now. And on top of that, I still know exactly zero about my chances. I mean, they're obviously not great at this point, but am I #1 on the wait list or #37?
Life alert -- 5 times?? Splishsplash: is this you?
Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.
I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)
You are such a sweetie. 🙂
I agree the wait is brutal and torturous and I often wished I would've just been rejected instead of waitlisted...until I got my acceptance haha...there's still hope!
On an unrelated note, anyone here playing Pokemon go to pass the time?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
On an unrelated note, anyone here playing Pokemon go to pass the time?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.
I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)
Thanks for this.
Also, congrats to you and your partner! I just finished my role as supporting actor to a medical student. Supporting a new resident has been much more....eventful -- he's on ICU rotations and lost 3 patients in a single evening 🙁 If you need any advice, feel free to reach out. Best of luck to you both!
I'm actually crying at work from laughing. Thanks. Everyone thinks I'm crazy now.Life alert -- 5 times?? Splishsplash: is this you?
![]()
Yes, it's been my main source of exercise of late[emoji14]I agree the wait is brutal and torturous and I often wished I would've just been rejected instead of waitlisted...until I got my acceptance haha...there's still hope!
On an unrelated note, anyone here playing Pokemon go to pass the time?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my HTC One using SDN mobile
*sigh* My momentary rage is over. So, I'd like to offer you an uplifting account of what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US can look forward to, at some point:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/when-you-found-out-you-got-in-how-did-you-react.65756/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/when-you-found-out-you-got-in-how-did-you-react.65756/
EDIT: Annnnnndddd as soon as I hit submit on my mini-rant, I get a call from the area code of my prospective school. It was FedEx. *flatline*
Funny I just saw this. Honestly 20 mins ago I got a call from the area code I'm waitlisted at (Penn State) and my heart raced like no other...turned out I "won a $100 gift card". I nearly strangled my coworker next to me in anger/frustration/futility.
I felt the same way too (by proxy), but you have to realize it's not misery without hope up until the very end. Last night I started crying because my hope was starting to falter....and then today happened.Agreed that I wish they'd just put us out of our misery... I was so hopeful for awhile too. I wish I could give up SDN but I always come back to see if one of us has gotten off their WLs.
Someone on the accepted students page for Albany just posted that his would've-been roommate was taken off the waitlist at another school. Let the chain reaction of movement from that begin...crossing my fingers that the ripple effect helps one of you get in
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My partner withdrew from a school that has a heavily-watched waitlist on SDN. So either someone will have a very happy update there (soon) or it will be more proof that SDN is not representative.
I took all the same classes as first year med students, nearly every exam was above the medical students' average, and had a 4.0. What else do you need me to do to prove I can succeed within your program?i heard thats one of the better feeder programs too
I took all the same classes as first year med students, nearly every exam was above the medical students' average, and had a 4.0. What else do you need me to do to prove I can succeed within your program?
Similar situation with another well known post-bacc/smp.. I've come to the conclusion that you had to have already been the kind of candidate that school looks for to get an acceptance even if you rock their program
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Similar situation with another well known post-bacc/smp.. I've come to the conclusion that you had to have already been the kind of candidate that school looks for to get an acceptance even if you rock their program
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If so, that's garbage.
7
723794
do you think the interview went well?I took all the same classes as first year med students, nearly every exam was above the medical students' average, and had a 4.0. What else do you need me to do to prove I can succeed within your program?
I thought so. I had great conversations with both people, and I thought I carried myself pretty well. Granted, it was my only interview, so I have nothing to compare it too.do you think the interview went well?
Georgetown or BU?Similar situation with another well known post-bacc/smp.. I've come to the conclusion that you had to have already been the kind of candidate that school looks for to get an acceptance even if you rock their program
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Too many qualified applicants. Not enough seats.I thought so. I had great conversations with both people, and I thought I carried myself pretty well. Granted, it was my only interview, so I have nothing to compare it too.
This warms my heart.Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.
I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)
Georgetown or BU?
Georgetown. I really liked the school as well and had an great interview (had a few others as well) but alas no love from them [emoji21]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This warms my heart.
Where have you been all my life?
7
723794
if it was your only interview, thats not a great sign. that could mean even though u did really well in that program, there could be something else in your app holding you downI thought so. I had great conversations with both people, and I thought I carried myself pretty well. Granted, it was my only interview, so I have nothing to compare it too.
7
723794
@docjammin
my ugpa was below average but not really low, so i did a masters to boost it which got me multiple interviews but i got waitlisted on all of them
my ugpa was below average but not really low, so i did a masters to boost it which got me multiple interviews but i got waitlisted on all of them
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my best friends just finished there last summer too! Said the same thing. He's going to med school in Southhampton starting in September, so he's not bitter.Georgetown. I really liked the school as well and had an great interview (had a few others as well) but alas no love from them [emoji21]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My verbal MCAT score (most recent, and new MCAT) wasn't all that great, but everything else was pretty solid. Because of it I scored what would've been the equivalent of a 28-29 on the old test. I have at least 500 hours of clinical experience, believe to have pretty solid LOR, my undergrad grades were so-so, but I would hope my grad courses would make up for that.@docjammin
my ugpa was below average but not really low, so i did a masters to boost it which got me multiple interviews but i got waitlisted on all of them
7
723794
ya thats not surprising at all. i also had so-so ugpa and a 31 mcat. so i got interviews but even for lower ranked schools the avg is still like 3.7-3.8 and like 31-32 so i wasnt shocked at all by being waitlisted. i am disappointed tho that none of them are working outMy verbal MCAT score (most recent, and new MCAT) wasn't all that great, but everything else was pretty solid. Because of it I scored what would've been the equivalent of a 28-29 on the old test. I have at least 500 hours of clinical experience, believe to have pretty solid LOR, my undergrad grades were so-so, but I would hope my grad courses would make up for that.
Ah! I had similar stats. 30 MCAT, only 400 hours of clinical (not including shadowing), strong LORs, decent GPA, and leadership positions. I didn't take grad courses though. Aside from that, also just 1 interview.My verbal MCAT score (most recent, and new MCAT) wasn't all that great, but everything else was pretty solid. Because of it I scored what would've been the equivalent of a 28-29 on the old test. I have at least 500 hours of clinical experience, believe to have pretty solid LOR, my undergrad grades were so-so, but I would hope my grad courses would make up for that.
It's tough. 🙁 I'm still hoping Upstate pulls through for the both of us...even if it's the day before.ya thats not surprising at all. i also had so-so ugpa and a 31 mcat. so i got interviews but even for lower ranked schools the avg is still like 3.7-3.8 and like 31-32 so i wasnt shocked at all by being waitlisted. i am disappointed tho that none of them are working out
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 671
