#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ya thats not surprising at all. i also had so-so ugpa and a 31 mcat. so i got interviews but even for lower ranked schools the avg is still like 3.7-3.8 and like 31-32 so i wasnt shocked at all by being waitlisted. i am disappointed tho that none of them are working out

I had a 3.2ish ugpa and a 33 MCAT and ended with a ~3.9 in my post-bacc. It's a hard knock life and if I could do things over again I would change so much!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone was pulled in at Albany yesterday -- hopefully that inspires some people.

EDIT: And a couple of people got pulled into UCLA on Monday
By 'people' I hope you mean other school's admissions committees. Who will hopefully be inspired to let acceptances flow like the Mississippi.

I realize the odds are heavily against us at this point. But I'm still holding out hope. Something could happen!
 
By 'people' I hope you mean other school's admissions committees. Who will hopefully be inspired to let acceptances flow like the Mississippi.

I realize the odds are heavily against us at this point. But I'm still holding out hope. Something could happen!

Fun story for you, then, Monsignor Hopeful:

Guy I knew was waitlisted. May passes -- nothing. June passes -- silence. July plods along -- nothing. He'd already submitted new primaries and was damn near done with all of his secondaries. Three days before class--THREE--he gets The Call.

He was, literally, the last person to get admitted, but finished medical school as the #1 student in his class.

Now, you tell me, how imperfect is the admissions process wherein your very last consideration is the one to outshine all of your foremost draft picks?
 
Fun story for you, then, Monsignor Hopeful:

Guy I knew was waitlisted. May passes -- nothing. June passes -- silence. July plods along -- nothing. He'd already submitted new primaries and was damn near done with all of his secondaries. Three days before class--THREE--he gets The Call.

He was, literally, the last person to get admitted, but finished medical school as the #1 student in his class.

Now, you tell me, how imperfect is the admissions process wherein your very last consideration is the one to outshine all of your foremost draft picks?
The Tom Brady of med school admissions.
 
Fun story for you, then, Monsignor Hopeful:

Guy I knew was waitlisted. May passes -- nothing. June passes -- silence. July plods along -- nothing. He'd already submitted new primaries and was damn near done with all of his secondaries. Three days before class--THREE--he gets The Call.

He was, literally, the last person to get admitted, but finished medical school as the #1 student in his class.

Now, you tell me, how imperfect is the admissions process wherein your very last consideration is the one to outshine all of your foremost draft picks?
That's incredible. And it really illustrates how random this process seems to be. I have friends that got in early in the process and I'm sitting here going '...are you really sure you wanted him?? The guy who compared being a pediatrician to being a farmer and whose personal statement talked about the adversity they experienced because they grew up richer than their friends? Really?'
With that being said, quite a few of the people I know who have been accepted are better applicants than I am. Smarter, more social, with ECs for days and letters of rec that Gandhi could barely match. I guess we'll see how it shakes out. Thanks for sharing that story. The sun hasn't set over the waitlist horizon yet!
 
The Tom Brady of med school admissions.
....Did he get suspended from medical school?
TOM-BRADY-DEFLATEGATE.jpg

Now there's nobody to stop the Chargers in the AFC. Good. Very good.
 
...come again?
"I feel that I had to rise to the challenge of challenging myself to understand the plight of the lower class, (the "poor-poors", if you will.) As I had to be driven by my chauffer, I never had the opportunity to walk to school. When college came around and all of the poor-poors had some sense of direction to navigate campus, I was completely lost, despite my $2000/month apartment being a block away from all of my classes. Through hard work and dedication, I perservered and only made it to class 20 minutes late, but it's cool cause my dad paid for the lecture hall the class was in."
 
"I feel that I had to rise to the challenge of challenging myself to understand the plight of the lower class, (the "poor-poors", if you will.) As I had to be driven by my chauffer, I never had the opportunity to walk to school. When college came around and all of the poor-poors had some sense of direction to navigate campus, I was completely lost, despite my $2000/month apartment being a block away from all of my classes. Through hard work and dedication, I perservered and only made it to class 20 minutes late, but it's cool cause my dad paid for the lecture hall the class was in."
Poetry.
 
...come again?
He complains that his friends always refused to do things with him (including a vacation in the Bahamas) because they didn't have enough money, and that he felt like he wasn't invited to social events because he was too rich and made them all look bad. No it has nothing to do with your attitude. Nothing at all....

This was my roommate in grad school. I've never been poor by any means, but at the time I was driving a 10 year old Hyundai with 180,000 miles on it and he acted like looking at it would give him a disease. I mean, it IS a Hyundai, but still. This guy got accepted to a top 10. C'mon life. You can do better than this.
 
He complains that his friends always refused to do things with him (including a vacation in the Bahamas) because they didn't have enough money, and that he felt like he wasn't invited to social events because he was too rich and made them all look bad. No it has nothing to do with your attitude. Nothing at all....

This was my roommate in grad school. I've never been poor by any means, but at the time I was driving a 10 year old Hyundai with 180,000 miles on it and he acted like looking at it would give him a disease. I mean, it IS a Hyundai, but still. This guy got accepted to a top 10. C'mon life. You can do better than this.
I'd kill a man for a 10 year old Hyundai. Your own car >>>>>>>> The Greyhound
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I feel that I had to rise to the challenge of challenging myself to understand the plight of the lower class, (the "poor-poors", if you will.) As I had to be driven by my chauffer, I never had the opportunity to walk to school. When college came around and all of the poor-poors had some sense of direction to navigate campus, I was completely lost, despite my $2000/month apartment being a block away from all of my classes. Through hard work and dedication, I perservered and only made it to class 20 minutes late, but it's cool cause my dad paid for the lecture hall the class was in."

As a SES disadvantaged student that actually hurt me to read. [emoji21] Some people...damn...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
As a SES disadvantaged student that actually hurt me to read. [emoji21] Some people...damn...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My former roommate burns money like it's firewood. He once bought a $500 pool cue despite the fact that he never played pool, and threw it away. I also found several unopened paychecks addressed to him from a job he had for one semester in the garbage.
 
He complains that his friends always refused to do things with him (including a vacation in the Bahamas) because they didn't have enough money, and that he felt like he wasn't invited to social events because he was too rich and made them all look bad. No it has nothing to do with your attitude. Nothing at all....

This was my roommate in grad school. I've never been poor by any means, but at the time I was driving a 10 year old Hyundai with 180,000 miles on it and he acted like looking at it would give him a disease. I mean, it IS a Hyundai, but still. This guy got accepted to a top 10. C'mon life. You can do better than this.

One of the guys at my undergrad had a lambo.
 
My former roommate burns money like it's firewood. He once bought a $500 pool cue despite the fact that he never played pool, and threw it away. I also found several unopened paychecks addressed to him from a job he had for one semester in the garbage.

That just makes me so sad. I don't understand that at all, honestly. I just don't get that mentality. If he doesn't need the money why not do something positive and help someone? [emoji21]

Meanwhile I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting my financial aid money because I have less than $100 left to live for the rest of the month [emoji28]. Guess I'll be eating a lot of rice!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
That just makes me so sad. I don't understand that at all, honestly. I just don't get that mentality. If he doesn't need the money why not do something positive and help someone? [emoji21]

Meanwhile I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting my financial aid money because I have less than $100 left to live for the rest of the month [emoji28]. Guess I'll be eating a lot of rice!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ha! I'm in a fairly similar situation. In undergrad there were definitely those weeks where I was trying to live off $13. I've found that in lean times potatoes are the best. They cost next to nothing; throw it in the microwave, put some sour cream in there, and you've got yourself a proper meal. Love rice too. I've never completely understood why everyone eats Ramen noodles so much. They're cheap, but they have no caloric value and won't fill you up at all. And I don't know why he acts like that, I actually think he just doesn't understand the value of money. He's directly linked to his parents' credit card account (very wealthy surgeons) and they don't have a problem when he just buys whatever he wants.
 
Ha! I'm in a fairly similar situation. In undergrad there were definitely those weeks where I was trying to live off $13. I've found that in lean times potatoes are the best. They cost next to nothing; throw it in the microwave, put some sour cream in there, and you've got yourself a proper meal. Love rice too. I've never completely understood why everyone eats Ramen noodles so much. They're cheap, but they have no caloric value and won't fill you up at all. And I don't know why he acts like that, I actually think he just doesn't understand the value of money. He's directly linked to his parents' credit card account (very wealthy surgeons) and they don't have a problem when he just buys whatever he wants.

Huh. I never really even thought of potatoes...that's a good idea! I'll have to try that! Thank you! [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Same lots of people at my undergrad with supercars. Foreign students with rich mainland Chinese parents, man :dead:
Even if I was insanely rich I wouldn't even want a Lamborghini on campus! First of all, there's too much snow on the ground to drive them like 8 months out of the year here. What would you even do with it? "Hey guys, wanna pile in my Ferrari and go to the grocery store three blocks away?" Second of all, I would be terrified that somebody would open their door against it, a drunk college student would vandalize it, etc. and I'd have to pay $12000 to get it repaired.
 
Best of luck to everyone in the future. I'll be re-applying come next June. Wish I knew everything I know now last June. Time to enjoy the next 1.5 years of my life working a 9-5 and doing every extracurricular possible on evenings and weekends. Cheers everyone.
 
That's incredible. And it really illustrates how random this process seems to be. I have friends that got in early in the process and I'm sitting here going '...are you really sure you wanted him?? The guy who compared being a pediatrician to being a farmer and whose personal statement talked about the adversity they experienced because they grew up richer than their friends? Really?'
With that being said, quite a few of the people I know who have been accepted are better applicants than I am. Smarter, more social, with ECs for days and letters of rec that Gandhi could barely match. I guess we'll see how it shakes out. Thanks for sharing that story. The sun hasn't set over the waitlist horizon yet!
Boo him! Pediatrics is the whole reason why I switched from an accounting major to medicine. Sorry I want to help kids learn about taking care of their bodies. :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best of luck to everyone in the future. I'll be re-applying come next June. Wish I knew everything I know now last June. Time to enjoy the next 1.5 years of my life working a 9-5 and doing every extracurricular possible on evenings and weekends. Cheers everyone.
Best of luck! Saving up for med school is always a good idea. My cousin didn't go to med school, but she did get into podiatry. Worked full time 2 years before attending, saved her quite a bit of money her first year of podiatry school. Less loans in year 1 means less interest to pay later on.
 
My former roommate burns money like it's firewood. He once bought a $500 pool cue despite the fact that he never played pool, and threw it away. I also found several unopened paychecks addressed to him from a job he had for one semester in the garbage.
Damn.. I can't believe some of these stories. I would've retrieved it from the garbage and sold it on ebay! I'll confess there was ONE day when I actually tried my dog's food... suffice to say I decided to wait until the finaid came in the next day lol
I guess for those of us who HAVE worried about where the next meal is coming from, these people are super alien. I mean, writing about facing adversity because you were too rich? WHAT. And it blows my mind they are getting into med school! especially when there's so much hype from med schools about trying to find more empathetic well-rounded applicants. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills 😕
 
That's incredible. And it really illustrates how random this process seems to be. I have friends that got in early in the process and I'm sitting here going '...are you really sure you wanted him?? The guy who compared being a pediatrician to being a farmer and whose personal statement talked about the adversity they experienced because they grew up richer than their friends? Really?'
With that being said, quite a few of the people I know who have been accepted are better applicants than I am. Smarter, more social, with ECs for days and letters of rec that Gandhi could barely match. I guess we'll see how it shakes out. Thanks for sharing that story. The sun hasn't set over the waitlist horizon yet!
Quick question... how is a pediatrician like a farmer??? Was he likening children to livestock???
 
Damn.. I can't believe some of these stories. I would've retrieved it from the garbage and sold it on ebay! I'll confess there was ONE day when I actually tried my dog's food... suffice to say I decided to wait until the finaid came in the next day lol
I guess for those of us who HAVE worried about where the next meal is coming from, these people are super alien. I mean, writing about facing adversity because you were too rich? WHAT. And it blows my mind they are getting into med school! especially when there's so much hype from med schools about trying to find more empathetic well-rounded applicants. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills 😕

I do feel somewhat sorry for him. He applied to med school but his numbers are too low to ever be accepted, barring several years of dramatic improvement. The amount of things he's wasted money on...it's like buying things is the only thing that makes him happy. What I truly can't wrap my mind around is the concept of money being so worthless to someone that they don't even bother to open their paychecks. That's true madness.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Quick question... how is a pediatrician like a farmer??? Was he likening children to livestock???
In a lot of ways yes. He'd point out that you weigh and measure kids like you do animals, and if they're too big or small, their owners have to make changes to their feeding schedule. Stuff like that. While there's some degree of truth to it, I know I at least see that as being one of the wonderful things about kids. They need to be taken care of, and they need their parents to do things like change their diet to make them healthy. They can't do it for themselves, but that's part of being a kid. Plus they're cute as hell. When they're happy at least.
writing about facing adversity because you were too rich? WHAT. And it blows my mind they are getting into med school! especially when there's so much hype from med schools about trying to find more empathetic well-rounded applicants. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills 😕
He didn't just get in, he got in to an EXTREMELY prestigious school. That's after he went to grad school with me, also at a very well respected school. Like...did nobody look at him and see the warning signs? I realize it's not actually a competition, but when he got in, I felt like I'd somehow lost.
 
He didn't just get in, he got in to an EXTREMELY prestigious school.
Did he have obscene numbers, extraordinary extracurriculars, or something like that? Of the people I know at my school, all of the notoriously cut-throat saboteur-type premeds got in. The sad reality of the situation is that if you can act like a good and decent human being for a 30 minute interview, they really have no way of knowing what you are actually like. Although the fact that they let him in with that personal statement is pretty bizarre...
 
He had ridiculous stats. I want to say his MCAT was 36? He got a 3.9 or some such thing in our ridiculously brutal program too. That being said, he's a gunner through and through. He shredded my notes once, and then after I started locking them up, he moved on to sending out study guides the night before tests that were full of incorrect information. I swear he must have spent more time gunning than he did studying...
 
He had ridiculous stats. I want to say his MCAT was 36? He got a 3.9 or some such thing in our ridiculously brutal program too. That being said, he's a gunner through and through. He shredded my notes once, and then after I started locking them up, he moved on to sending out study guides the night before tests that were full of incorrect information. I swear he must have spent more time gunning than he did studying...

Wow. I hope his med school doesn't utilize a lot of collaborative group learning...but most do...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
He had ridiculous stats. I want to say his MCAT was 36? He got a 3.9 or some such thing in our ridiculously brutal program too. That being said, he's a gunner through and through. He shredded my notes once, and then after I started locking them up, he moved on to sending out study guides the night before tests that were full of incorrect information. I swear he must have spent more time gunning than he did studying...
Well that explains it. Shredding your notes, though? That's quite literally insane. That and sending out incorrect study guides also sound like profound violations of whatever your student honor code is. I consider myself very lucky that my school had very few of these types and was generally a "students vs. the system" mentality. Those who did this sort of thing were universally despised and generally had no friends come junior year.
 
He had ridiculous stats. I want to say his MCAT was 36? He got a 3.9 or some such thing in our ridiculously brutal program too. That being said, he's a gunner through and through. He shredded my notes once, and then after I started locking them up, he moved on to sending out study guides the night before tests that were full of incorrect information. I swear he must have spent more time gunning than he did studying...

Well that explains it. Shredding your notes, though? That's quite literally insane. That and sending out incorrect study guides also sound like profound violations of whatever your student honor code is. I consider myself very lucky that my school had very few of these types and was generally a "students vs. the system" mentality. Those who did this sort of thing were universally despised and generally had no friends come junior year.

It's a shame these types of people exist and it's worse that they're succeeding. I hope for the sake of humanity they go into research or something and stay far, far away from actual patients. These types of people shouldn't even deserve to be doctors (or live, lol. jk, but sorta.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad