#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I don't like being a Negative Nancy, but the chances of getting in off the waitlist are extremely low to begin with. I've seen schools with hundreds of people on the waitlist. Lots of schools only accept ~20 or so. I really hope some of you guys get good news but I don't want anyone to set themselves up for crippling disappointment. I have done the thing where I look at the hopeful statistics and turn a blind eye to the ugly ones, and it has only made me unhappy. At this point, I would say that between my waitlisted schools I maybe have, liberally, a 10% overall chance at getting an acceptance. It is mentally easier for me to treat it as if I have been rejected everywhere so that I can focus on the future.
However, some schools are looking for that someone special who will bring diversity to its boring class. That someone could be you @bananafish94 ! They need that great banana to make their class shine!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school I am waitlisted at accepted over 12 people in the past couple of days 🙁 I feel like there is no hope at all ! :arghh: +pissed+They also had a secret priority waitlist that we didnt know about but apparently theyve passed that and they have been offering people in the reg waitlist 🙁 Please love me🤔
 
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.
 
Do you have acceptances elsewhere? If so, it could be helpful. I talked to an admissions officer at a school I am waitlisted at and she said that if you are waitlisted and don't have any acceptances, it is "assumed" you want to go there and a LOI is redundant.

I have three acceptances. I guess that's why I am not going to get off of a wait list. One school told me it is not likely since I already have acceptances 🙁
 
I have three acceptances. I guess that's why I am not going to get off of a wait list. One school told me it is not likely since I already have acceptances 🙁
My friend, you have three acceptances. Please get off SDN, pour yourself a tall one, and bask in your tremendous glory. I only know one person who has gotten more than two acceptances--that is tremendous.
 
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.

I feel you. Similar situation in some ways. I dislike how some else sitting on a panel has so much power over the course of someone else's life.

But hey, I think things usually turn out alright in the end. Hang in there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.

Similar situation. Accepted to 2 DO schools, but interviewed and waitlisted at one of my dream MD schools. Every email/call I get gives me a damn heart attack.
 
I have three acceptances. I guess that's why I am not going to get off of a wait list. One school told me it is not likely since I already have acceptances 🙁

From my understanding..
1) you should only hold one acceptance right now
2) if the school you're waitlisted in is "better" than the school you hold, they will consider you with just as much consideration.
 
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.
This sounds almost exactly like my situation. Best of luck to you!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.

I feel the same way. Like today I rarely got outta the bed 🙁 I knew chances of getting off the waitlist is slim to begin with but waking up every morning and waiting for an email to change my life around is torture. Day after day the excitement (possibly getting off the WL) is giving its place to severe depression and feeling of helplessness.
You are definitely not alone my friend. Stay strong we are all in this together .:luck:
 
Anyone find themselves feeling actual depression during this process? I have an acceptance to a DO school, but in April I interviewed for my top choice in state MD school, and was subsequently waitlisted. I know I should be happy with the DO acceptance, and I am, but the MD school would allow me to stay with my fiance (as opposed to being LDR for at least a year) and not have to move over 1000 miles. It's been my dream school for years. I'm just finding it really hard to get through the day. Every day I don't get that call/email feels like another blow.
I definitely feel that. I'm hesitant to describe it as depression because that suggests an actual medical problem whereas I know that I'm perfectly healthy, just sad all the time because of medical schools. I know this isn't any consolation, but you should be very proud of the DO school acceptance. I kick myself every single day for not applying to DO schools and I surely won't make the same mistake come June.
 
My friend, you have three acceptances. Please get off SDN, pour yourself a tall one, and bask in your tremendous glory. I only know one person who has gotten more than two acceptances--that is tremendous.

Everyone told me that you should be happy, but I feel so disappointed right now. I feel like I should have done so much better ;(.
That's what the Dean told me from the other school that I really want to go to. Although, their wait list is not rank, they are ranking the students in some way.

It doesn't help that I asked if WL students can defer their enrollment. They said no 🙁

From my understanding..
1) you should only hold one acceptance right now
2) if the school you're waitlisted in is "better" than the school you hold, they will consider you with just as much consideration.

I do have one acceptance right now.
Yes, that school is better, but it is unlikely that I will get off the WL. Not only that, I need to defer and they don't allow WL students to defer enrollment 🙁

I am sooo sad and disappointed.
 
Everyone told me that you should be happy, but I feel so disappointed right now. I feel like I should have done so much better ;(.
That's what the Dean told me from the other school that I really want to go to. Although, their wait list is not rank, they are ranking the students in some way.

It doesn't help that I asked if WL students can defer their enrollment. They said no 🙁



I do have one acceptance right now.
Yes, that school is better, but it is unlikely that I will get off the WL. Not only that, I need to defer and they don't allow WL students to defer enrollment 🙁

I am sooo sad and disappointed.
I can imagine feeling disappointed. When I was growing up, I wanted to go to an elite private school (one of the insanely competitive ones) because my grandfather had been a professor there for an extremely long time, basically everyone in my family went there, and it was just a huge part of my family culture. I applied there and wasn't rejected, but wasn't accepted either. They told me that if I maintained a certain GPA during my freshman year at another college I would be guaranteed admission. I was heartbroken. So I went to my state school thinking I would transfer after one year, and after spending a month here I would never even DREAM of going to school somewhere else. I forgot about all other colleges. Sometimes things have a funny way of working themselves out. I hope you get off the waitlist, but you may truly love the school you have been accepted at.
 
Everyone told me that you should be happy, but I feel so disappointed right now. I feel like I should have done so much better ;(.
That's what the Dean told me from the other school that I really want to go to. Although, their wait list is not rank, they are ranking the students in some way.

It doesn't help that I asked if WL students can defer their enrollment. They said no 🙁



I do have one acceptance right now.
Yes, that school is better, but it is unlikely that I will get off the WL. Not only that, I need to defer and they don't allow WL students to defer enrollment 🙁

I am sooo sad and disappointed.
Buddy, you're entitled to feel disappointed, but I would suggest that you be a little- aware.
If you scroll a few centimeters above, you will see people discussing depression, financial troubles, and abject uncertainty because they
have been denied an acceptance to what they have been working 4+ years to achieve, and now face up to three months of daily uncertainty and what if's.

My suggestion is that you go take your troubles and burdens for that school specific thread. I'm sure you'll find more sympathy there.
Good luck.
 
I definitely feel that. I'm hesitant to describe it as depression because that suggests an actual medical problem whereas I know that I'm perfectly healthy, just sad all the time because of medical schools. I know this isn't any consolation, but you should be very proud of the DO school acceptance. I kick myself every single day for not applying to DO schools and I surely won't make the same mistake come June.

The why isn't terribly important and doesn't necessarily stop it from being a problem that needs treatment. Some people on here sound more than sad or disappointed.

This statement is for everyone here. We, as a group are highly stressed long term and prone to depression that calls for treatment.

Use you academic access to help yourself.

Go to the DSM, look at the symptoms. Look at the time frame. Seriously consider if it sounds like you. Or, take a depression inventory. And if it calls for it, if you have access, seek out help. Don't try to tough it out.
 
I can imagine feeling disappointed. When I was growing up, I wanted to go to an elite private school (one of the insanely competitive ones) because my grandfather had been a professor there for an extremely long time, basically everyone in my family went there, and it was just a huge part of my family culture. I applied there and wasn't rejected, but wasn't accepted either. They told me that if I maintained a certain GPA during my freshman year at another college I would be guaranteed admission. I was heartbroken. So I went to my state school thinking I would transfer after one year, and after spending a month here I would never even DREAM of going to school somewhere else. I forgot about all other colleges. Sometimes things have a funny way of working themselves out. I hope you get off the waitlist, but you may truly love the school you have been accepted at.

You're right! I guess I have to look at the small accomplishments. I should have submitted my primary in June or July, but decided to submit in September 30th. I was waiting on my MCAT scores, and didn't think I was competitive enough to get into school. Should have waited for this upcoming cycle.

Buddy, you're entitled to feel disappointed, but I would suggest that you be a little- aware.
If you scroll a few centimeters above, you will see people discussing depression, financial troubles, and abject uncertainty because they
have been denied an acceptance to what they have been working 4+ years to achieve, and now face up to three months of daily uncertainty and what if's.

My suggestion is that you go take your troubles and burdens for that school specific thread. I'm sure you'll find more sympathy there.
Good luck.

You're right! I am sorry. I didn't mean to come off crass or entitled. I just always get what I want, if and when I work hard towards my goal. I don't apply to anything that I don't have a high chance of getting. I waited so long to apply to medical school, and I didn't get the interviews I wanted 🙁. I applied pretty late in the cycle (late Sept-Oct), but I thought I would have had a chance.

I feel like an underachiever. Why do all of this to have little gain back? I know people who are subpar and they got into a lot of schools. This process is so random and frustrating.
 
Hey i'm curious to know about your experience with Rosalind Franklin's
images-2.jpeg
 
and when my phone rings... my hearts stops.. only to find out it's my family or telemarketers.

please, oh, please-- GWU, VCU, and EVMS love me.

Waiting on the same exact schools...Though not confident I will get off any of these waitlist, as its almost a disadvantage to be IS for EVMS/VCU at this point.
 
You're right! I guess I have to look at the small accomplishments. I should have submitted my primary in June or July, but decided to submit in September 30th. I was waiting on my MCAT scores, and didn't think I was competitive enough to get into school. Should have waited for this upcoming cycle.



You're right! I am sorry. I didn't mean to come off crass or entitled. I just always get what I want, if and when I work hard towards my goal. I don't apply to anything that I don't have a high chance of getting. I waited so long to apply to medical school, and I didn't get the interviews I wanted 🙁. I applied pretty late in the cycle (late Sept-Oct), but I thought I would have had a chance.

I feel like an underachiever. Why do all of this to have little gain back? I know people who are subpar and they got into a lot of schools. This process is so random and frustrating.
Hang on...let me get this straight. You submitted your primary in nearly October and received THREE ACCEPTANCES? Are you some kind of an immortal being or demigod sent to guide us mere mortals to a higher plane of existence?
 
Hey i'm curious to know about your experience with Rosalind Franklin's

Not much to tell. I'm not sure many of us can make heads or tails of what is going on with it.

They seemed to have not accepted many directly. Some have gotten accepted off of it earlier in a couple waves.

Doesn't seem to be anything related to Traffic day just yet. But best I can tell, waitlist should see movement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The why isn't terribly important and doesn't necessarily stop it from being a problem that needs treatment. Some people on here sound more than sad or disappointed.

This statement is for everyone here. We, as a group are highly stressed long term and prone to depression that calls for treatment.

Use you academic access to help yourself.

Go to the DSM, look at the symptoms. Look at the time frame. Seriously consider if it sounds like you. Or, take a depression inventory. And if it calls for it, if you have access, seek out help. Don't try to tough it out.
I appreciate your concern. If I recall correctly, you need two years of persistent symptoms to diagnose MDD. Then again, don't ask me. God knows I'm not a doctor :help:
 
I got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, and Duke (with only two full rides 😡) but I'm on the waitlist at UCSF and Columbia! +pity+ This is honestly the most stressful time in my entire life. Really glad to have a place to vent.
Really i'm happy for anyone that get in to schools like yours but clearly you are not grateful..
 
Hang on...let me get this straight. You submitted your primary in nearly October and received THREE ACCEPTANCES? Are you some kind of an immortal being or demigod sent to guide us mere mortals to a higher plane of existence?

No, I don't think so. I had 7 IIs. One I didn't go to. Three WLs and three acceptances.

Not a demigod at all. I wish I was. The schools that I got into are okay, but I felt like I could have done slightly better, if I had applied early on in the cycle.
Well, one would hope, lol
 
Just got off the phone with my grandmother after explaining to her that I won't be going to medical school next year. I'll take "worst moments of my entire life" for $500, Alex.

Disappointing myself is one thing but disappointing the people who care about me is just so many orders of magnitude worse. God help me.

@bananafish94 seriously? Everyone here is rooting for you, no one on this board I would rather see get it. But you need to shake the self-flagellation. Its too early to be definitive with grandma about next fall, one thing to tell her might not work out for the fall but nothing is final yet. Yeah its a tortuous process but you WILL get through this and get in. Its a marathon not a sprint, might take another year or even two but if its your dream it doesn't matter. Chin up, pick yourself up, Cinco de Mayo in two days, go out for a margarita.
 
Just got off the phone with my grandmother after explaining to her that I won't be going to medical school next year. I'll take "worst moments of my entire life" for $500, Alex.

Disappointing myself is one thing but disappointing the people who care about me is just so many orders of magnitude worse. God help me.
You are gonna feel really bad about jumping the gun like that if/when you get the call this cycle. One of my schools told me that their waitlist movement is very slow and steady throughout May and June. So make your backup plans but don't get down on yourself. Remember that being on a waitlist means you ARE qualified--and more qualified than most people who applied!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@bananafish94 seriously? Everyone here is rooting for you, no one on this board I would rather see get it. But you need to shake the self-flagellation. Its too early to be definitive with grandma about next fall, one thing to tell her might not work out for the fall but nothing is final yet. Yeah its a tortuous process but you WILL get through this and get in. Its a marathon not a sprint, might take another year or even two but if its your dream it doesn't matter. Chin up, pick yourself up, Cinco de Mayo in two days, go out for a margarita.
I really do appreciate all the support people give me on this forum. It means a lot. But I don't believe in giving people false hope. The medical schools have done that to me far too many times this year for me to inflict that on somebody else. I told her that there is a million to one chance I get accepted off the waitlist somewhere, but I just think it's best to focus on next year.
 
You are gonna feel really bad about jumping the gun like that if/when you get the call this cycle. One of my schools told me that their waitlist movement is very slow and steady throughout May and June. So make your backup plans but don't get down on yourself. Remember that being on a waitlist means you ARE qualified--and more qualified than most people who applied!
totally agree with this. my WL school said that movement is fastest in may but they regularly accept people into JULY.. crazy if i have to wait that long but it's possible!
 
I really do appreciate all the support people give me on this forum. It means a lot. But I don't believe in giving people false hope. The medical schools have done that to me far too many times this year for me to inflict that on somebody else. I told her that there is a million to one chance I get accepted off the waitlist somewhere, but I just think it's best to focus on next year.

I hear you, when i got in my grandma said, "every time we spoke for the past 2 years I thought you were going to tell me you got in. Thank God I can stop praying for it now" Think she wanted it as much for me as I did🙂
 
I really do appreciate all the support people give me on this forum. It means a lot. But I don't believe in giving people false hope. The medical schools have done that to me far too many times this year for me to inflict that on somebody else. I told her that there is a million to one chance I get accepted off the waitlist somewhere, but I just think it's best to focus on next year.
I totally get it. Take whatever approach gets you through. We're all struggling with the anxiety and disappointment that being waitlisted creates. If it's easier to "forget" about this cycle and put all your energy into next.. and if you get in it will be a pleasant surprise, then by god do it!