Wake Forest v. Loyola Stritch v. Saint Louis U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MN81

Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, all over the country. Wake, Loyola, or SLU for you?

I am particularly interested in arguments that don't include location. Please comment on the academic credentials, residency match success, and other interesting subjects!

Thanks bundles.

Members don't see this ad.

MN81 said:

I am particularly interested in arguments that don't include location. Please comment on the academic credentials, residency match success, and other interesting subjects!

Thanks bundles.

Here's an interesting subject: I have no idea about schools I don't go to.

That being said, SLU trains solid clinicians and our residency match is usually impressive. People from Wash U seem to think we are living in their shadow, but I've worked with plenty of Wash U students at the VA and never really been that impressed......

Hey,

Obviously, from my signature, I go to Wake. I really like it here and I can go into the whole long tirade about why I like it here. (I can PM it to you if you want rather than subject everyone here to it)

I'm also from St. Louis (The weather in NC is better!) SLU Med School is a really great school and Cardinal Glennon is a great hospital. SLU churns out really great physicians. I got into both Wake and SLU and I chose wake for a few reasons. I think the curriculm at wake is better structured and I like the technology emphasis that wake has (Ask me about the Aquarius program loaded onto our laptops).

I don't know awhole lot about Stritch.

As far as academics and match lists go, I've been Wake's and SLU's and they are both pretty much on par.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a SLU student and think it's a worthy choice against the other two. In terms of reputation, match lists and costs it seems to be more or less a wash among all three. One thing SLU has going for it is a great administration. All the deans of the medical school that I've met have been very nice and do everything they can to provide a good educational environment.

Since both Wake and SLU have been represented, I'll throw in my two cents from Stritch. First, congrats on an excellent set of choices... all three are wonderful schools and you won't go wrong no matter where you end up. The three things I like most about Loyola are the very dedicated and personable faculty, the superb clinical training (it's what we hear back from residency directors about), and most importantly to me now, the exceptional closeness and kindness of our class. Never in my life have I enjoyed the people I spend all day, everyday with as much as I do now. There are a zillion other great things about Stritch, but those are the things that stick out in my mind when I tell people about my school. Maybe some other can add to the list.

Congrats again and good luck with one of the most fortunate decisions you'll ever make!

MN81 said:

Thanks bundles.

Hey man, or gal,
Please, please, please do NOT go to Wake. I have read several of your posts and you are annoying as hell. A couple of examples:

1) Someone said that you should call Wake to find out if you got an interview (which is good advice by the way).
Your Response: I heard back from Wake without calling. That was back in October though...

2)The general trend seems to be that most everyone gets waitlisted, a couple got accepted, but most ppl get accepted off of the waitlist...
Your Response: I wouldn't say that waitlisting is automatic at Wake. I got in right away (in October)...

You also keep dropping this very trollish and detailed questions. Lucky for you there are some nice people out there that take the time to humor you. So please consider SLU or Loyola...anywhere but Wake.

DeaconMD04 said:
Hey man, or gal,
Please, please, please do NOT go to Wake. I have read several of your posts and you are annoying as hell...QUOTE]

What's your problem?

I was just providing info for people. Just letting them know what happened to me.

In one case the person was wondering whether or not people HAD to call to get an interview. I told him/her that I am someone who did not HAVE to call.

Sorry that I offended someone. I'll try to be less 'trollish' and avoid asking 'detailed questions'

Peace