Walgreens freezes salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I didn't say that.

There's nothing wrong with living by the following: "trust, but verify."

Not every RPh here works at WAGs and knows the process. Thank you for confirming the store manager is in charge.

Thank you for confirming that that form is real.

I guess, from a corporate standpoint, what I don't understand is the flat ZERO. It causes disruptions in morale. Which effects output. Wouldn't a flat 0.25% raise for meets expectations, 0.5% for outperform, give near the same cost-cutting function but not effect morale.

And yes, you can say, "THEY DON'T CARE" and why I totally believe that, why disrupt the store morale, that may cost them 3-4-5% in output?

At this point they've noticed how new grads work, are fine with it, and this is what happens when supply is so high. I think this isn't the best communication they've had but it is how they communicate with stores.

Cap freezes are common, a lot of long term up front workers don't get raises but most are gone when beauty advisors got booted. When that happened I knew we were next, it was just a question of when.

Can't really complain when you are an employee of a company and not to belittle our progression but any new grad can do our job for less.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
the reasoning of this move seems obvious. the amount of pharmacists that are being churned out is ridiculous. tons and tons of pharmacy schools in the north east, essentially printing pharmDs for new grads. hundreds and hundreds of new pharmacists looking for work each year and it's only going up and up. if I were an employer of a big pharmacy chain and I saw this, do you know what I would do? take advantage of these new grads obviously. why? because I can and there's nothing that can stop me. all of these new grads need work. they're desperate, they'll take anything. therefore, I would test the limits. just how low can I go in terms of salary and how much work I can extract from these new grads? that's essentially the sweet spot in terms of maximizing profits. and it's probably what big chains are attempting to do. walgreens is taking the first step which is to freeze raises, stabilizing everyone's pay, let them get use to that for a bit. then take the next step which is to start decreasing pay for new grads. it's such an obvious move, there are TONS of new grads. and because of this is it possible to get away with paying dirt cheap, because new grads will be desperate when they can't find a job due to over saturation

At this point they've noticed how new grads work, are fine with it, and this is what happens when supply is so high. I think this isn't the best communication they've had but it is how they communicate with stores.

Cap freezes are common, a lot of long term up front workers don't get raises but most are gone when beauty advisors got booted. When that happened I knew we were next, it was just a question of when.

Can't really complain when you are an employee of a company and not to belittle our progression but any new grad can do our job for less.

new grads shouldn't have to do the job for less. but they will because they are desperate and don't know any better. and that is exactly why this is a dying profession

Members don't see this ad :)
22045735_874768772679677_4635501200579999239_n.jpg

They want to be "market competitive" by giving "0 % raises".

The most absurd claim company can make. They might as well say "since you are all replaceable cashiers now, we stop giving raises."

They want to be the pioneer of pay freezes setting an example nationwide to other pharmacies. We will see cvs, riteaid, walmart, and groceries follow suit.

The most absurd claim company can make. They might as well say "since you are all replaceable cashiers now, we stop giving raises."

They want to be the pioneer of pay freezes setting an example nationwide to other pharmacies. We will see cvs, riteaid, walmart, and groceries follow suit.
this is why it's vital to encourage students to stay far away from pharmacy. and for the current pharmacists to milk their salaries before the inevitable happens. all the while building up side hustles by investing, marketing, or some other avenue of making cash

Reactions: 1 users

I think if people read between the lines that's what they are saying...

Just about bet that the other chains follow Wags decision over next quarter.

I wonder if it would be possible for Walgreens to reduce salary for current employees?

Maybe they can lay people off and offer to rehire at a lower salary? or fire for "performance related issues?"
I bet there are ways to do it if they really wanted to...

My friend says rite aid is. My sup is giving me hints that CVS will.

new grads shouldn't have to do the job for less. but they will because they are desperate and don't know any better. and that is exactly why this is a dying profession

It's not a dying profession, it's just going through another phase. Who knows what this profession will be like in twenty or even ten years.

And yes new grads do have to do the job for less, they are the ones competing for the jobs.

I wonder if it would be possible for Walgreens to reduce salary for current employees?

It's real simple, you just get coded in as a new position with lower pay.

Who knows what this profession will be like in twenty or even ten years.

The writing is on the wall. It's only a matter of time. I saw this coming when I graduated less than a decade ago... the only surprise is Walgreens is open about how they view pharmacists and Sugar coating it... it comes to down to simple Econ 101, supply and demand... if Amazon gets involved, the demand will decrease even less, supply will be at an all time high in the next three years... indepents already took note, most are offering 50 dollars and less... chains to follow... it's like storm, just have to hold on and hope that somehow we can make it until retirement

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not a dying profession, it's just going through another phase. Who knows what this profession will be like in twenty or even ten years.

And yes new grads do have to do the job for less, they are the ones competing for the jobs.
the trajectory of the profession is going downward at the moment. something significant would have to change in order to balance the supply of pharmacists with demand, I don't see how that will happen anytime soon or over the long run. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or bash pharmacy as a career, I'm actually an APPE student getting ready to graduate in May 2018. I'm just looking at the situation realistically. something needs to change in order to preserve the profession. standards are being raised, wages are freezing/dropping. why is there no expansion or thriving? in the past you could work in a hospital without a residency, now they're pushing it. now wages are being frozen at walgreens and perhaps other retail chains soon. why can't the news be that walgreens is INCREASING raises this year? the supply is just way too damn high. pharmacists left and right. this profession has way too many people in it at the moment, they need to make it much more rigorous to go to pharmacy school or become a pharmacist

The writing is on the wall. It's only a matter of time. I saw this coming when I graduated less than a decade ago... the only surprise is Walgreens is open about how they view pharmacists and Sugar coating it... it comes to down to simple Econ 101, supply and demand... if Amazon gets involved, the demand will decrease even less, supply will be at an all time high in the next three years... indepents already took note, most are offering 50 dollars and less... chains to follow... it's like storm, just have to hold on and hope that somehow we can make it until retirement

this guy gets it. simple supply and demand. government and higher education won't make it difficult to be accepted or go to pharmacy school. they want more pharmacy students. because that means more students taking out 100k+ loans. which just fills up the pockets of universities that push pharmacy as well as government loans. suddenly other schools see this gravy train and want to hop on. it becomes a downward spiral, universities and government loans pushing pharmacy and milking students for their money, leads to oversaturation of pharmacists, leads to decrease in jobs and pay. once students find out that they can't "make bank" or "live like a baller" from going to school for 6 years that's when things will stabilize. until then the milking of students for their money will continue. more money going right into the pockets of higher education with all that interest from kids 100k+ in debt, man must be fun working in the loan department

the trajectory of the profession is going downward at the moment. something significant would have to change in order to balance the supply of pharmacists with demand, I don't see how that will happen anytime soon or over the long run. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or bash pharmacy as a career, I'm actually an APPE student getting ready to graduate in May 2018. I'm just looking at the situation realistically. something needs to change in order to preserve the profession. standards are being raised, wages are freezing/dropping. why is there no expansion or thriving? in the past you could work in a hospital without a residency, now they're pushing it. now wages are being frozen at walgreens and perhaps other retail chains soon. why can't the news be that walgreens is INCREASING raises this year? the supply is just way too damn high. pharmacists left and right. this profession has way too many people in it at the moment, they need to make it much more rigorous to go to pharmacy school or become a pharmacist

The writing is on the wall. It's only a matter of time. I saw this coming when I graduated less than a decade ago... the only surprise is Walgreens is open about how they view pharmacists and Sugar coating it... it comes to down to simple Econ 101, supply and demand... if Amazon gets involved, the demand will decrease even less, supply will be at an all time high in the next three years... indepents already took note, most are offering 50 dollars and less... chains to follow... it's like storm, just have to hold on and hopethat somehow we can make it until retirement

A dying profession is a profession losing jobs and we currently don't have that. Until laws change a pharmacist is always needed. Will jobs be different? Sure but that's still not a dying profession. Amazon will shift jobs but laws still need changed.

The over supply has been here for years, nothing new there.

Oh and if anyone joined this profession for the money, you joined for the wrong reason.

At least they are honest about it. There are too many RPhs...they are cutting pay because the market allows them to.
Exactly. I'm glad they admitted it. I think this is the biggest company to officially say the market has tipped nationally. Of course the schools will do their best Sean Spicer and point to some random place on the map and say, "Hey, incoming students there are numerous jobs here and the crowds are huge".

A dying profession is a profession losing jobs and we currently don't have that. Until laws change a pharmacist is always needed. Will jobs be different? Sure but that's still not a dying profession. Amazon will shift jobs but laws still need changed.

The over supply has been here for years, nothing new there.

Depends how you define "dying". Just read Walgreens' memo: half of the states in level of oversupply, part time hire status, wage freeze/decrease in multiple jobs around the country, tougher working conditions...

I disagree with you about supply being this high before, we are at all time high level of supply (this is a fact) and we have five more schools in California that haven't yet entered the job market

Depends how you define "dying". Just read Walgreens' memo: half of the states in level of oversupply, part time hire status, wage freeze/decrease in multiple jobs around the country, tougher working conditions...

I disagree with you about supply being this high before, we are at all time high level of supply (this is a fact) and we have five more schools in California that haven't yet entered the job market

When I think dying, I think people losing jobs. At this point I don't see jobs being lost at high levels. Stores are decreasing hours but it's not caused jobs to be lost, at least in my area.

Supply is at an all time high but it's been known for years that we will be at this point. We are now reaching those projections. I don't see new grads causing currently employed people to lose their job. When that happens, I'll get concerned.

Exactly. I'm glad they admitted it. I think this is the biggest company to officially say the market has tipped nationally. Of course the schools will do their best Sean Spicer and point to some random place on the map and say, "Hey, incoming students there are numerous jobs here and the crowds are huge".

Yea that memo is quite straightforward and the type of people who would ignore it are the ones enrolling in pharmacy schools these days. While schools take advantage of the ignorant, gullible, and idealistic there is not a unlimited number of these students. The value proposition for a PharmD at $200,000, 6-10 years of your life, and a $100,000 salary simply isn't there. I suspect the schools will eventually try to pivot and market the PharmD as a versatile degree and will fail in this endeavor. Also, the working conditions for most pharmacists are pretty poor compared to other white collar jobs. The $120k+ salary made these conditions tolerable, but at $90k you will have a lot more turnover and people seeking out other careers. As our salary declines in real terms due to inflation it makes other fields that much more appealing.

When I think dying, I think people losing jobs. At this point I don't see jobs being lost at high levels. Stores are decreasing hours but it's not caused jobs to be lost, at least in my area.

Supply is at an all time high but it's been known for years that we will be at this point. We are now reaching those projections. I don't see new grads causing currently employed people to lose their job. When that happens, I'll get concerned.

In my area, a lot of older chain pharmacists were let go for one reason or another... I don't have evidence that it was due to supply of new grads, but it can be assumed that it was.

I see much unemployment for new grads...

Again, we'll just agree to disagree

Yea that memo is quite straightforward and the type of people who would ignore it are the ones enrolling in pharmacy schools these days. While schools take advantage of the ignorant, gullible, and idealistic there is not a unlimited number of these students. The value proposition for a PharmD at $200,000, 6-10 years of your life, and a $100,000 salary simply isn't there. I suspect the schools will eventually try to pivot and market the PharmD as a versatile degree and will fail in this endeavor. Also, the working conditions for most pharmacists are pretty poor compared to other white collar jobs. The $120k+ salary made these conditions tolerable, but at $90k you will have a lot more turnover and people seeking out other careers. As our salary declines in real terms due to inflation it makes other fields that much more appealing.
I think the most saddest part of all this is schools taking advantage of gullible idealistic highschool students. I was one of those students. the schools know what they're doing. marketing up their pharmacy programs, telling kids that they can make high salarys if they go to their school, and the kids just eat it up and attend. and their parents tell them good job and push them into it more. kids out of high school don't know what they're getting into when applying and entering an accelerated pharmacy program. they don't have anyone to teach or tell them that the trajectory of whatever field they're entering is not favorable. they aren't shown what options may be the best for them long term. what they are told is that they must go to college and pursue these advanced degrees no matter what because that's where the bank is. i believe most higher education is a scam to be honest. the hell with college. you don't need to spend years of your life in a classroom learning crap you don't care about. you can build your own life with the right mindset and have plenty of money. but of course they don't tell you that in highschool

Surprising from a business standpoint --- trying to avoid negative workplace morale --- they went this route than just give a nominal 0.5% raise.

I totally get the fact they don't care about the pharmacists, but, isn't it better to give a nominal raise than avoid a silent "revolt". Even a 1-2% loss of productivity erases the gains of giving no raise.

What silent revolt? What can you honestly do with a pharmD besides work in a chain? Imagine the people who have worked in a chain for years and have completely forgotten the clinical stuff. If I were the CEO of wag or CVS I would squeeze pharmacists like a hungry monkey squeezes a banana. They are the 800lb gorilla.

What silent revolt? What can you honestly do with a pharmD besides work in a chain? Imagine the people who have worked in a chain for years and have completely forgotten the clinical stuff. If I were the CEO of wag or CVS I would squeeze pharmacists like a hungry monkey squeezes a banana. They are the 800lb gorilla.

Silent revolt is just "half-assing" it. Not recommending OTC products. Not staying late. Not coming in early. Not making those refill telephone calls. Or instead of striving for 100%, just coasting by at 80%. All the little things that add up to patient's not spending as much money, transferring Rxs, not refilling Rx's, it adds up to a couple percent of revenue. Why do you think employers do all those Press-Ganey and Gallup scores about how ENGAGED their employees are?

Silent revolt is just "half-assing" it. Not recommending OTC products. Not staying late. Not coming in early. Not making those refill telephone calls. Or instead of striving for 100%, just coasting by at 80%. All the little things that add up to patient's not spending as much money, transferring Rxs, not refilling Rx's, it adds up to a couple percent of revenue. Why do you think employers do all those Press-Ganey and Gallup scores about how ENGAGED their employees are?

Then the chains will play hard ball and reduce the pharmacist's salary. Or they will fire them and hire some young stupid graduate for 30k less.

Then the chains will play hard ball and reduce the pharmacist's salary. Or they will fire them and hire some young stupid graduate for 30k less.

But that's the thing. They are still "doing their jobs". It's almost like the company is missing out on "missed growth". Perhaps nothing declines, it's just they lost growth because employees stopped giving 110%.

That's the thing though. Even if you fire the old timers, or the 40 year olds, even the new grad is going to stop giving a **** when the raise is 0%. So sure, you can keep firing employees when they hit 30 years old I guess, but everyone stops giving a **** when the raise is 0%. You lose out on missed growth.

Zero is so much worse than 0.25%.

0.25% on $120,000 is $300.
0.5% on $120,000 is $600.

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. But it prevents the employee from "silently revolting".

But that's the thing. They are still "doing their jobs". It's almost like the company is missing out on "missed growth". Perhaps nothing declines, it's just they lost growth because employees stopped giving 110%.

That's the thing though. Even if you fire the old timers, or the 40 year olds, even the new grad is going to stop giving a **** when the raise is 0%. So sure, you can keep firing employees when they hit 30 years old I guess, but everyone stops giving a **** when the raise is 0%. You lose out on missed growth.

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. But it prevents the employee from "silently revolting".

Doing there jobs? What happens when the store metrics job? Constant action plans. Constant required meeting when you will have to explain why you're store is in trouble. Customets screaming in your face Lots of pressure. Pharmacist will do all those things to keep from being yelled at.

Maybe they can lay people off and offer to rehire at a lower salary? or fire for "performance related issues?"
I bet there are ways to do it if they really wanted to...

Actually, that's the one thing CRW can't do, because they lost an IL lawsuit that went the NLRB in the 70s about that. They'll just implement stack ranking and hire new pharmacists all the time.

The new grad with $200k+ in loans won't care if they don't get any raises. They'll be happy to get $45/hour now at the moment so they start paying their loans as to not let them balloon at 6%/year interest and/or go into default.

You really think a person won't continue to work hard to keep their job?

And people think I'm in denial. Your boss comes up to you and says either take a $20k cut or leave the company, my advice is take the cut. You won't have a job if you don't. This is still years down the road though.

You really think a person won't continue to work hard to keep their job?

And people think I'm in denial. Your boss comes up to you and says either take a $20k cut or leave the company, my advice is take the cut. You won't have a job if you don't. This is still years down the road though.

You're all talking about the concept of money illusion.

http://webs.wofford.edu/pechwj/money illusion.pdf

Money illusion, we suggest, arises in large part because it is considerably easier and more natural to think in nominal rather than in real terms. This tendency, we suspect, is likely to persist despite economists’ attempts to educate the public (e.g., Fisher [1928])

Long story short, if you can find someone where less is still a better deal and can structure their lives around less, then they win. Yes, overall there is a cut to wages, but to the individual, it'll just be a continual pressure cooker situation as there's always going to be someone else willing to work for less. There is no industry that does not have this feature with labor at some point. That's why I have a problem with @stoichiometrist pushing Computer Science so hard with people that may or may not have the talent and motivation to do the work even in uncomfortable situations, because they have the same labor excess problem. Like everything else, starting conditions don't equal the conditions of longevity.

The game is to lead you from being hungry and working for less, to a situation where you have assets that you ironically have to work even harder to defend (so even as wages go flat, you'll be even more productive to sustain the assets you have), to the endgame of musical chairs where at the point you need a salary most of all (the twilight years), the company finds some way to gray hair get rid of you. In Walgreens, that's why the percentage of RxS's retiring with anything is so, so low (from the numbers up to the inverted acquisition. What Walgreens does with their RxS/DM's is to defer compensation until years 15-20 while paying them an RxM's salary and with a little bit more of a bonus. However, have two years where you don't make your numbers or place at the bottom 10% of the RxS performance, get fired with nothing to show for it. For that sort of rat race, Walgreens wins overall as all of their RxS staff work really hard, but know that they only have to pay out in the small minority of cases who continually are the winners. In some ways, working as a pharmacist is a better deal as you get your stuff upfront without having to work for a promise.

You're now in the second group, where you have assets that you have to defend, so you'll take a lot of indignity because you really don't have a better deal elsewhere if you restart. Wait 10 years, and you'll understand what factory workers, IT workers before the first tech crash (~2001), and basically everyone who works in a field where productivity can be directly measured and HR has replacements. In such situations, you get rid of >50 year olds who are top of their salary classes and hire 20 year olds who are willing to be more productive for less without the issues of health, vacation, and benefits.

Yes, you will eat those paycuts (although we're all hoping that deflation is the future), and yes, you will eventually be discarded by your companies. But on the other hand, unlike the last generation, you know this is coming, so start figuring out how to diversify your earnings now (or create enough assets that you can live off them indefinitely).

... and you say that I'm the one who is exhibiting some sort of shortcoming by choosing to pursue something else instead of "sticking it out" in pharmacy, @owlegrad ? This thread is filled with more doom-and-gloom than I've ever posted on here (and it's sadly compelling, as well). At this point, who wouldn't at least consider withdrawing from pharmacy school to pursue something else, unless they have an absolute all-or-nothing passion for pharmacy and nothing else in life?

... and you say that I'm the one who is exhibiting some sort of shortcoming by choosing to pursue something else instead of "sticking it out" in pharmacy, @owlegrad ? This thread is filled with more doom-and-gloom than I've ever posted on here (and it's sadly compelling, as well). At this point, who wouldn't at least consider withdrawing from pharmacy school to pursue something else, unless they have an absolute all-or-nothing passion for pharmacy and nothing else in life?

Can you please show me where I have ever said that?

You're now in the second group, where you have assets that you have to defend, so you'll take a lot of indignity because you really don't have a better deal elsewhere if you restart.

I'm glad that I've managed to avoid moving too far into this group. A combination of seeing my family make terrible financial decisions when I was growing up plus seeing the devastation of the 2008 recession (thank god I was in school and shielded from the worst of it) made me very conservative when it comes to scaling up my lifestyle.

What's scary is that I am no where near being financially independent despite living in a working class neighborhood, small house, no kids. I'd probably have a larger hoard of cash, but I follow the @BMBiology philosophy - nice car that I enjoy, good quality food, high-end craft beer etc. Instead of being house-poor I guess I'm more luxury-poor. That means I could take the hit if my salary suddenly got cut in half (drive a Corolla and drink Bud light? It might be better to ride a bike and stop drinking), but what about these people with the gigantic McMansion and 2 kids in private school? It's going to be brutal out there.

What kind of salary are people willing to drop down to before getting out of pharmacy? This answer will differ for everyone I'm sure. I don't know that I would accept much less.. I have no great love for pharmacy, this is just my career. If it doesn't provide for me, then I have no use for it.

I know too many people like that. The McMansion...Lexus...kids in St Moneybags Catholic Prep School...probably not maxing their 401ks. They are going to get walloped.

I think it's a pretty accurate paraphrasing:

Should I go to pharmacy school?

Ah, I think we have a simple misunderstanding. While I do think it shows a certain character flaw to bounce around from professional school to professional school (if you were being objective about it I suspect you would agree), I also think you are making the right choice by getting out. In fact I think I have told you that over and over again. So nice straw man argument, but no, I still agree with your choice to leave pharmacy school. It is obvious you wouldn't be happy in the professional, so why pursue it? :thumbup:

Im just glad I max out everything with retirement and add on to non-retirement at Vanguard when I can. What sucks is someone can be doing less and gets paid the same as you. Or that person will get a raise and depending how long you are with a company, they may start capping your salary.

How do you not understand this? You are neither a pharmacist nor student. No one wants to hear how great you are for switching. If you want to tell people to get out of pharmacy go to the prepharmacy forum. Us pharmacists don't care about your opinion or gloating.

Reactions: 2 users
I legit had a conversation with a colleague who told me they will start investing in their 401k when they turn 40... I just about threw up thinking about all that investment income lost over the years. I started mine the day I was eligible for a match.

With market factors trending increasingly away from the favor of pharmacists I think it is foolish to not have an emergency fund too.

That hurts to hear.

If pharmacist paid $15/hour, you wouldn't be interested in doing it. You can tell yourself whatever you want, but deep down you know damn well that the high salary is the main reason you wanted to do this. I'm sure that of the professions that paid well, pharmacy was your favorite...and that's fine...I'm the same way...but let's not lie to ourselves and pretend that money isn't the #1 reason the vast, vast majority of people work at all, let alone in retail pharmacy.

I legit had a conversation with a colleague who told me they will start investing in their 401k when they turn 40... I just about threw up thinking about all that investment income lost over the years. I started mine the day I was eligible for a match.

With market factors trending increasingly away from the favor of pharmacists I think it is foolish to not have an emergency fund too.

They must not understand how compound interest works.

They must not understand how compound interest works.

They don't, I legit showed them an amortization table and graph showing how delaying until 40 will yield them like 25% what I am going to have starting at 27. Some people are just financially reckless.

Also trying to buy a place in about 1-3 years. Been saving for a down payment but I need to find a better spot to keep the money, it's currently in a 0.6% rate savings account (only about 10k in it).

They don't, I legit showed them an amortization table and graph showing how delaying until 40 will yield them like 25% what I am going to have starting at 27. Some people are just financially reckless.

Also trying to buy a place in about 1-3 years. Been saving for a down payment but I need to find a better spot to keep the money, it's currently in a 0.6% rate savings account (only about 10k in it).
Try online savings account. Ally bank, capital one, Goldman sach, all give 1.20%. I recommend ally bank due to their great customer service and free ATM pull $10/mo. I have been with them for 8 yrs.

Redneck bank for 2% checking up to 10k.