Walgreens freezes salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is amazing how the left continues to try to blame its broken policy of wealth redistribution on an ever shrinking group of people. Their continued mantra seems to be, "if we could only get that group of people into our fold of destitution, we could then finally show our system actually works!" I mean, food stamps, welfare, medicaid and obama phones are just not enough, its those 50% who pay federal taxes, no its the 10% who actually save for the future, no its the 1%ers that have a few billion between them yeah that will fix everything if they just join us!

Yeah, I'm not "the left."

If you have a better way to reconcile the death of labor to automation and AI with capitalism, I'm all ears.

Capitalism as we currently know it isn't going to be a panacea for the entirety of human existence.

It's actually quite funny that we've come to the point as a society that having machines do all the work for us is somehow presenting a major, existential problem. That's actually a remarkable level of dysfunction when you stop and really consider it. It's one of those "embarrassed to be human" moments to be honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I've seen too many people selling food stamps for money to spend on pointless stuff and now you want to give these people $20k and think it will boost the countries prosperity? That is laughable.

I'm more concerned about not doing it and the dystopia that may lead to.

We are leaving the world of 20th century economics. What you think you know isn't going to apply.

The generation after us is going to have to figure some **** out and if they don't do it right, it's going to be very ugly.

Freezes aren't forever. I've worked at more than 1 hospital that froze wages (and 1 which did pay cuts for all employees!) This stuff lasts a couple of years until they figure out all their good employees are moving on, so then wages are unfrozen. I'm sure chains have done wage freezes before (OK, I'm not sure, but it seems very likely that they have done wage freezes before.) Either wait it out for a couple of years until the wage is unfrozen, or move on to a different job.

I think this is a little more perminant. Do you realize how many new pharmacists are being minted? demand is static supply is massive. they could offer 55,000 a year and still get pharmacists to accept it.

I think this is a little more perminant. Do you realize how many new pharmacists are being minted? demand is static supply is massive. they could offer 55,000 a year and still get pharmacists to accept it.
For 55k a yr, I'd retire now lmao. My investments making around that much a yr. I'll pick up another skill. You can have my job. Fu3k pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
I think at 55K/year, a lot of pharmacists will leave the profession and learn another trade

Reactions: 1 user
$55k?

Might as well make it minimum wage if we're going down that road.

Wages are sticky. Our wage will be inflated away over time. But LOL at dropping it to $55k nominal.

$55k?

Wages are sticky. Our wage will be inflated away over time. But LOL at dropping it to $55k nominal.

20 years with inflation, $120k will be $60k.

I think at 55K/year, a lot of pharmacists will leave the profession and learn another trade
The federal government won't give them additional loans to learn another trade and their loans are already high enough. The pharmacists will be trapped into this career not matter how much it pays.

For 55k a yr, I'd retire now lmao. My investments making around that much a yr. I'll pick up another skill. You can have my job. Fu3k pharmacy.
that's 55k before taxes btw so take home would be 40k still pretty good IMO. You should embrace this evolution in the pharmacist earning potential. You went to school to help people not to make money.

Last edited:
$55k?

55k is still around 27 USD an hour well above 7.25 USD an hour which is the minimum wage. I don't think anyone can complain about getting 4x the salary someone working harder at mcdonalds flipping burgers and getting burnt on a hot oven.

Also like a pharmacist a burger flipper has people's lives at danger. Food contamination can easily kill someone probably more so than giving the wrong atorvastatin to someone.

that's 55k before taxes btw so take home would be 40k still pretty good IMO. You should embrace this evolution in the pharmacist earning potential. You went to school to help people not to make money.

Sadly, not many under the age of probably 40 went into this field to help people

Members don't see this ad :)
55k is still around 27 USD an hour well above 7.25 USD an hour which is the minimum wage. I don't think anyone can complain about getting 4x the salary someone working harder at mcdonalds flipping burgers and getting burnt on a hot oven.

Also like a pharmacist a burger flipper has people's lives at danger. Food contamination can easily kill someone probably more so than giving the wrong atorvastatin to someone.

And we are not banning this guy because...

Reactions: 2 users
that's 55k before taxes btw so take home would be 40k
Your tech makes less than that before taxes and they are raising 3-4 kids. I live on 15k/yr, 20k if I splurge. Retirement is boring. I'm no old fart, I'm 33 yo. If sh1t hits the fan now, I'll be getting another skill set that makes 100k+ quitting the pharmacy world forever. I do my job well, I am probably the top 5% performer in the district but I don't do this job to help people, I do it so I can live relatively well. If the job doesn't provide anymore, I am gone.

If the wages stay the same for the next 8 yrs, I'll have enough to retire without switching profession with 80k+ dividend, rental income, and cap gains. Like @awval999 said wages are sticky. Employer will cut wages without really having to cut them. The toiletries, the drug you dispense, the M&M's you sell will go up in price, everyone you know will get raises but you won't. The company biggest labor cost is down (you), the company makes more money than ever before. Suddenly, in a few short years, you have realized you can't afford to take your kids to that private school anymore. You can't afford 3 vacations a year, now you can only do 2! You are left in the dust with decreasing purchasing power every year.

The federal government won't give them additional loans to learn another trade and their loans are already high enough. The pharmacists will be trapped into this career not matter how much it pays.
Haha nice trolling, as if pharmacists can't get student loans LMAO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Hello, a P4 here..I was relaxing on this beautiful Sunday until I stumbled upon your thread about my future!
I think I caught most of the advice offered throughout: invest when I can, max matched employer 401K contribution, stay away from Walgreens, plan to live under my means.. Am I missing anything else?

I'm thinking a lot of new grads are going to be unemployed, underemployed, or employed in a lower paying job. This is especially true if you end up graduating from a z-tier school like Trashman or Larkin.

55K is only 15K over what a GS-6 level pharmacy tech makes at the VA (the difference is even smaller once you include region-specific differentials and government benefits). Who the F@#$ would go to 4 more years of school and 100-200K in loans just to make 15K more in cash each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello, a P4 here..I was relaxing on this beautiful Sunday until I stumbled upon your thread about my future!
I think I caught most of the advice offered throughout: invest when I can, max matched employer 401K contribution, stay away from Walgreens, plan to live under my means.. Am I missing anything else?
Add to that:
Avoid private schools. Go to a reputable public school in your state (cheaper tuition). Get scholarships like crazy. Join ROTC if you can (free tuition). Stay away from CVS. Intern your way through school.

Not the poor souls who went to MCPHS, Trashman, Roseman, or any other private schools that extract the maximum allowable 220K in student loans from their students. Once you hit that 220K limit, you no longer qualify for federal student loans. God have mercy if these kids end up realizing they don't actually want to practice pharmacy.

Your tech makes less than that before taxes and they are raising 3-4 kids. I live on 15k/yr, 20k if I splurge. Retirement is boring. I'm no old fart, I'm 33 yo. If sh1t hits the fan now, I'll be getting another skill set that makes 100k+ quitting the pharmacy world forever. I do my job well, I am probably the top 5% performer in the district but I don't do this job to help people, I do it so I can live relatively well. If the job doesn't provide anymore, I am gone.

If the wages stay the same for the next 8 yrs, I'll have enough to retire without switching profession with 80k+ dividend, rental income, and cap gains. Like @awval999 said wages are sticky. Employer will cut wages without really having to cut them. The toiletries, the drug you dispense, the M&M's you sell will go up in price, everyone you know will get raises but you won't. The company biggest labor cost is down (you), the company makes more money than ever before. Suddenly, in a few short years, you have realized you can't afford to take your kids to that private school anymore. You can't afford 3 vacations a year, now you can only do 2! You are left in the dust with decreasing purchasing power every year.

cool link with the definition btw. Yeah and when you factor in 3% real inflation rate per a year even with a 1% raise you would be losing 2% a year not even counting for loan interest based on the prime rate which is increasing at a disproportionate rate

Oh. I didn't think people with a terminal degree qualified for additional loans in the US.

Last edited:
Not the poor souls who went to MCPHS, Trashman, Roseman, or any other private schools that extract the maximum allowable 220K in student loans from their students. Once you hit that 220K limit, you no longer qualify for federal student loans. God have mercy if these kids end up realizing they don't actually want to practice pharmacy.

There is no limit on federal graduate school loans under the GradPLUS program. That's why you hear about dentists who went through residency having $500,000+ in loans.

There is no limit on federal graduate school loans under the GradPLUS program. That's why you hear about dentists who went through residency having $500,000+ in loans.

I would imagine that if salaries plummet to as low as $55k, many pharmacists will attend health professions programs at technical/community colleges. At a local technical college, nursing, radiology tech, and ultrasound tech programs all cost less than $5k to complete and can be financed with monthly payments. Of course, we're all familiar with the career possibilities for nurses, but radiology techs (who make between $40k-$45k to start in my southeastern town) can also attend online "bridge" programs to become nuclear medicine techs (~$70k income), radiation therapists ($80k income), or higher-level professionals like dosimetrists ($110k-$120k income).

Unless a pharmacist simply doesn't want to go back to school, it's hard to imagine that at least some of them won't consider attending programs like these to transition to a different career that pays as much or more than the hypothetical future $55k (as suggested by another poster). Even now, dosimetrists earn more than most hospital pharmacists, as much as some retail pharmacists, and the work is relatively low-stress as compared to pharmacy.

I would imagine that if salaries plummet to as low as $55k, many pharmacists will attend health professions programs at technical/community colleges. At a local technical college, nursing, radiology tech, and ultrasound tech programs all cost less than $5k to complete and can be financed with monthly payments. Of course, we're all familiar with the career possibilities for nurses, but radiology techs (who make between $40k-$45k to start in my southeastern town) can also attend online "bridge" programs to become nuclear medicine techs (~$70k income), radiation therapists ($80k income), or higher-level professionals like dosimetrists ($110k-$120k income).

Unless a pharmacist simply doesn't want to go back to school, it's hard to imagine that at least some of them won't consider attending programs like these to transition to a different career that pays as much or more than the hypothetical future $55k (as suggested by another poster). Even now, dosimetrists earn more than most hospital pharmacists, as much as some retail pharmacists, and the work is relatively low-stress as compared to pharmacy.

Awesome post. Thank you for your continued contributions to this board.

This thread is getting a little out of hand.

Pharmacists still make six figures and even after inflation bringing it down in twenty years that's still over two million career earnings.

Last edited:

Pharmacists still make six figures and even after inflation bringing it down in twenty years that's still over two million career earnings.

Maybe so, but consider a frozen, zero-raises pharmacist salary next to the salary of some other healthcare professional (even those working in allied health) who might start out their career earning less money than a pharmacist, but they receive annual raises as well as OT and shift differential pay. And when you also consider the fact that most of the people who pursued these alternative healthcare professions have less than $20k to pay back in most cases (as long as they avoided private schools), the difference in long-term earnings potential is even greater.

Also, don't forget that the letter from Walgreens corp. says that they instituted the salary freeze to give them time to go back to the drawing board (so to speak) and re-configure a totally new pharmacist salary scale that takes the oversupply of pharmacists into consideration. So when they finally unveil the new salary ladder, starting salaries are practically guaranteed to be even lower than they are now (they're obviously not going to be higher than they are now).

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe so, but consider a frozen, zero-raises pharmacist salary next to the salary of some other healthcare professional (even those working in allied health) who might start out their career earning less money than a pharmacist, but they receive annual raises as well as OT and shift differential pay. And when you also consider the fact that most of the people who pursued these alternative healthcare professions have less than $20k to pay back in most cases (as long as they avoided private schools), the difference in long-term earnings potential is even greater.

Also, don't forget that the letter from Walgreens corp. says that they instituted the salary freeze to give them time to go back to the drawing board (so to speak) and re-configure a totally new pharmacist salary scale that takes the oversupply of pharmacists into consideration. So when they finally unveil the new salary ladder, starting salaries are practically guaranteed to be even lower than they are now (they're obviously not going to be higher than they are now).

Lol wow just wow. Will they start new grads lower? Sure but it's still 2 million in career earnings after twenty years. That's more then 80 some percent of the population will make.

Let's calm down a little.

What could also happen is they start lower but unfreeze salaries.

yeah but rad tech / dosimetrist are exposed to many times the normal amount of unhealthy radiation and chemicals. They earn the money in work hazard. IMO

We are speculating on future earning potential

We are speculating on future earning potential

Right and 100k x 20 years = 2 million earnings potential.

No one currently working or graduating soon will be taking a pay cut.

Lol wow just wow. Will they start new grads lower? Sure but it's still 2 million in career earnings after twenty years. That's more then 80 some percent of the population will make.

Let's calm down a little.

What could also happen is they start lower but unfreeze salaries.

The main point I was making is simply that this makes pharmacy look significantly less appealing (even moreso than before) to prospective applicants who take more of a pragmatic approach to choosing a health professions career that involves comparing pharmacy to other professions (not just NP/PA). How many people are going to justify spending $120k+ to become a pharmacist when there are technical college programs that cost less than $5k and lead to jobs that pay almost as much as what a hospital pharmacist earns?

On the upside (if you care about this sort of thing), it will probably result in weeding out more people from applying to pharmacy school who lack a die-hard passion for pharmacy. The students who are at least somewhat pragmatic in their approach to choosing a career and who have flexible interests (I.e., not "pharmacy or die") will be hard-pressed to justify spending the time, money, and effort it takes to become a pharmacist when they can get a similar deal (in terms of earnings/benefits) by pursuing a multitude of other careers that all have more promising job market outlooks.

True, the Grad Plus loans do not count towards the max federal loan amounts unlike stafford loans... initially.

However, if you were one of those unlucky souls who takes out 200K+ loans, then you will most likely end up on a income-based repayment plan if you pursue residency, or become underemployed or unemployed. Most people would have to refinance their loans into a IBR/PAYE plan that will consolidate both their stafford and grad plus loans into one loan that contributes to the max limit. Once they hit that limit, they no longer qualify for federal loans (even Grad Plus, since its only meant to cover costs that cannot be covered by the stafford loan).

So a hypothetical example would be Chapman pharmacy student A:

If he or she had 110K in stafford loans and 110K+ in grad plus loans during school, they would only be at half the max 220K limit (since stafford is only counted towards that limit). However, when student A graduates and realizes they cannot pay for the 10-year monthly payments because they are in residency or underemployed, they will have to get a IBR/PAYE plan that consolidates both loans into a single 220K+ loan. When that happens, student A will hit his max 220K limit, since the previously uncounted grad plus loan is now part of the consolidated loan. If they don't pay down the loan, then the interest will balloon the total amount. With total federal loans at >220K, they no longer qualify for federal loans (both stafford and grad plus).

Scary stuff. I've seen horrors at the Dreadfort, but the evil that resides at Chapman are on a totally different level.

Remember kids, friends don't let friends go to Trashman Pharmacy School.;)

Last edited:
The main point I was making is simply that this makes pharmacy look significantly less appealing (even moreso than before) to prospective applicants who take more of a pragmatic approach to choosing a health professions career that involves comparing pharmacy to other professions (not just NP/PA). How many people are going to justify spending $120k+ to become a pharmacist when there are technical college programs that cost less than $5k and lead to jobs that pay almost as much as what a hospital pharmacist earns?

On the upside (if you care about this sort of thing), it will probably result in weeding out more people from applying to pharmacy school who lack a die-hard passion for pharmacy. The students who are at least somewhat pragmatic in their approach to choosing a career and who have flexible interests (I.e., not "pharmacy or die") will be hard-pressed to justify spending the time, money, and effort it takes to become a pharmacist when they can get a similar deal (in terms of earnings/benefits) by pursuing a multitude of other careers that all have more promising job market outlooks.

I've been doing this for 17 years, I could care less who goes into this field. I tell my dm to find me a hard worker, gpa means nothing to me. I'll take the dumbest kid out there but if he/she gets their tasks done, I'm happy. You're honestly talking to the wrong person but my math still holds true on how much you'll make for a job that is, to be honest, pretty easy for the pay.

Right and 100k x 20 years = 2 million earnings potential.

No one currently working or graduating soon will be taking a pay cut.
And if you max out your 401k you will walk away with most of that money in your pocket.

Great link.

Here's the quote:
In the 1999 book Why Wages Don’t Fall During a Recession, Yale University economist Truman Bewley concluded, after hundreds of interviews with business insiders, that the key reason for downward rigidity might simply be that pay cuts are too damaging to morale, even more so than outright layoffs.

I am curious how the board feels a WAG pay freeze (or an entire retail freeze) would eventually trickle down to hospital pharmacists.

One "benefit", I don't know if that's the right word, is that in hospital practice we are erecting the Gate of Residency(TM) you must pass before you are eligible to practice. Necessary? Of course not. But it does limit candidates. I am always astonished when we have real job openings we get only a handful of applications. Now for our residency spots, we hit 40 or so. But a real, honest to God, pharmacist job? Like 3. Just interesting. Is it our Gate of Residency keeping out the riff raff?

The community vs. hospital paradigm is just completely diverging. After a year or so after graduation neither a community or hospital pharmacist is qualified to do the other job anymore.

Remember. The salary differential between a hospital and retail pharmacist is solely based on supply vs. demand. Will that differential erode?

Can any old timer here discuss the salary differential between retail and hospital practice (ex-California) in the 1980s-1990s?

Has retail always paid more? Even in the 80s-90s?

True, the Grad Plus loans do not count towards the max federal loan amounts unlike stafford loans... initially.

However, if you were one of those unlucky souls who takes out 200K+ loans, then you will most likely end up on a income-based repayment plan if you pursue residency, or become underemployed or unemployed. Most people would have to refinance their loans into a IBR/PAYE plan that will consolidate both their stafford and grad plus loans into one loan that contributes to the max limit. Once they hit that limit, they no longer qualify for federal loans (even Grad Plus, since its only meant to cover costs that cannot be covered by the stafford loan).

So a hypothetical example would be Chapman pharmacy student A:

If he or she had 110K in stafford loans and 110K+ in grad plus loans during school, they would only be at half the max 220K limit (since stafford is only counted towards that limit). However, when student A graduates and realizes they cannot pay for the 10-year monthly payments because they are in residency or underemployed, they will have to get a IBR/PAYE plan that consolidates both loans into a single 220K+ loan. When that happens, student A will hit his max 220K limit, since the previously uncounted grad plus loan is now part of the consolidated loan. If they don't pay down the loan, then the interest will balloon the total amount. With total federal loans at >220K, they no longer qualify for federal loans (both stafford and grad plus).

Scary stuff. I've seen horrors at the Dreadfort, but the evil that resides at Chapman are on a totally different level.

Remember kids, friends don't let friends go to Trashman Pharmacy School.;)

Chapman isn't the only one. There are a ton of hyper expensive schools: Touro in NYC comes to mind

I am curious how the board feels a WAG pay freeze (or an entire retail freeze) would eventually trickle down to hospital pharmacists.
The salary differential between a hospital and retail pharmacist is solely based on supply vs. demand. Will that differential erode?

This is a good question. The number of retail jobs is static or declining. The number of hospital jobs is static or anemic growth. The supply of retail-ready pharmacists is at a massive surplus. The number of pharmacists read for a staff position is at a massive surplus. The number of pharmacist ready for a clinical position is being artificial bottle necked. Will this limited supply of pharmacist lead to an increased demand for them and therefore a income increase for them retaliative to non-clinical positions for pharmacists?

It's actually worse than I though. We had over 30 applicants for a part time job in 6 days.

This is only the beginning. I expect full saturation to take place by 2020. This will be an real unemployment rate for new pharmD grads of 10-20%. I think bribing DM with large sums of cash to secure a position might become a reality in 2020. A $20,000 district manager stipend for the work of placing you in the company.

It's actually worse than I though. We had over 30 applicants for a part time job in 6 days.

I think this is why I have a tendency to keep patting myself on the back over my decision to leave pharmacy school. In most situations where someone walks away from a challenge, they soon realize (in an "after-the-fact" sense) that they made a mistake and that they would've been better off to just keep pushing through. After I got kicked out of AA school and then saw my former classmates graduate a year or so later to $120k-$170k jobs with 5+ weeks of PTO and great benefits in desirable/non-BFE, that's how I felt. To be honest, I kind of expected to have the same regretful realization after leaving pharmacy school... for example, the way this *should've* gone is that a few weeks after I dropped out, a few reports detailing a slight but steady uptick in the job market would've been published, demand for pharmacists would start increasing again, provider status would pass, etc.

But instead, almost as soon as I decided to withdraw, the only changes that have occurred in the pharmacy job market have been ones that basically reaffirm/validate my decision to leave pharmacy school (I.e., worsening PDI job market projections, Walgreens freezing salaries using the explicit justification that the job market sucks, Amazon preparing to enter/take over pharmacy, etc.). It shouldn't be happening like this; instead, I should be getting presented with numerous indications that I made a mistake and will be worse-off for it.

The icing on the cake here is, what do the leaders of the pharmacy profession (e.g., ChapmanDean) have to say about all this? Do they still insist that an additional 100k pharmacists will be needed over the next few years in addition to those that are already graduating from schools?

I think this is why I have a tendency to keep patting myself on the back over my decision to leave pharmacy school. In most situations where someone walks away from a challenge, they soon realize (in an "after-the-fact" sense) that they made a mistake and that they would've been better off to just keep pushing through. After I got kicked out of AA school and then saw my former classmates graduate a year or so later to $120k-$170k jobs with 5+ weeks of PTO and great benefits in desirable/non-BFE, that's how I felt. To be honest, I kind of expected to have the same regretful realization after leaving pharmacy school... for example, the way this *should've* gone is that a few weeks after I dropped out, a few reports detailing a slight but steady uptick in the job market would've been published, demand for pharmacists would start increasing again, provider status would pass, etc.

But instead, almost as soon as I decided to withdraw, the only changes that have occurred in the pharmacy job market have been ones that basically reaffirm/validate my decision to leave pharmacy school (I.e., worsening PDI job market projections, Walgreens freezing salaries using the explicit justification that the job market sucks, Amazon preparing to enter/take over pharmacy, etc.). It shouldn't be happening like this; instead, I should be getting presented with numerous indications that I made a mistake and will be worse-off for it.

The icing on the cake here is, what do the leaders of the pharmacy profession (e.g., ChapmanDean) have to say about all this? Do they still insist that an additional 100k pharmacists will be needed over the next few years in addition to those that are already graduating from schools?

Why would you switch from a PA to pharmD anyway? the PA market is on fire right now. Did you real wanna be a "phake doctor" that bad?

Question?

Since I created this thread can I ask it to be closed?

PatoPharm is having a discussion with his other account grapepropel.

These threads are getting bad now that the trolls are taking all of them over. It would be nice to have a discussion instead of just having trolls post their doomed predictions.

Question?

These threads are getting bad now that the trolls are taking all of them over. It would be nice to have a discussion instead of just having trolls post their doomed predictions.
Nice attempt at miscategorizing my predictions as trolling. We all are mature, professional adults here. No one is trolling anyone.

Question?

Get real. Just because someone references objectively negative aspects of the pharmacist job market in their post, it doesn't mean that it's coming from me "disguised" as another poster. That's ridiculous. It's also ridiculous that to you, anyone who doesn't share your rosy outlook and perspective of pharmacy is automatically branded a troll.

Nice attempt at miscategorizing my predictions as trolling. We all are mature, professional adults here. No one is trolling anyone.

You created an account and have pretty much spoken negatively about the profession.

Sounds like a troll to me.