Walgreens' Insurance Codes!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallkitty00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just started working as a tech at Walgreens in CA and I have difficulty identifying the codes of all insurannce companies. Does anybody know the list or where to find info on that? Like: CAMED, BCCAl, HNET, etc.

I didn't get trained properly because my home store now is so busy with Inventories stuff. Hopefully, I will get better with time.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I made a little cheat sheet for myself. send me your email and I can send it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i started tech training, the pharmacy manager printed a list of insurance codes that would be helpful to me, if you want i can email you the list. but the pharm manager should be able to get it off the storenet site.

a lot of those insurance codes take just some getting used to. you'll notice that there are a group of common ones you'll see all the time. for instance, i see PAID, ILBC, AARPMPD, HUMNAMPD, etc. one thing i like doing is going to the 'Third Party Inquiry' (F10) and then typing in the bin # on the insurance card. if you click details for that 3rd party plan... it gives you more info, such as a PCN #...or you can actually search with both. and then voila, you have your insurance info. the one i like the best is PAID - Medco. it's easy to memorize with the mortar and pestle. i'm not sure if they still use that logo, though. i forget. =)

Reactions: 1 user
One thing i like doing is going to the 'Third Party Inquiry' (F10) and then typing in the bin # on the insurance card. if you click details for that 3rd party plan... it gives you more info, such as a PCN #...or you can actually search with both. and then voila, you have your insurance info.

The only beef I have with using the BIN# to search is when you get some obscure card you've never seen before with 3 or 4 different (and well-known) companies listed on it and none of them work, so you try to search by BIN# and you get the response "Your request will return too much information" :mad: I think 610500 is one... never fails, it's always at 5:30 and you have 10 customers lined up by the time you get it done. I think often times it's easier just to call the number on the back of the card...

a lot of those insurance codes take just some getting used to. you'll notice that there are a group of common ones you'll see all the time. for instance, i see PAID, ILBC, AARPMPD, HUMNAMPD, etc. one thing i like doing is going to the 'Third Party Inquiry' (F10) and then typing in the bin # on the insurance card. if you click details for that 3rd party plan... it gives you more info, such as a PCN #...or you can actually search with both. and then voila, you have your insurance info. the one i like the best is PAID - Medco. it's easy to memorize with the mortar and pestle. i'm not sure if they still use that logo, though. i forget. =)

Good Information!!!!!!!!!

I never had a book.... I never wrote anything down.... I soley depended on my memory and the Third Party Inquiry....

April 1st will mark my 4th year at Walgreens and my 2nd year as Sr. Tech.

What is the hourly rate in your neck of the woods? Mine is $11.00 I think. I'm in Flordia.

or you can search by BIN # and they added the field PCN #. i work for walgreen's - IL - sr tech starting rate is $12.75

Just in response to the person saying it always happens during a busy rush...scan in the image and save the card image so you can go back and look at it later. Get's the line of patients moving and you'll always have the image of the card to mess around with the numbers until you get it right.

Other than that I think everyone already covered what I do, memorization and just using BIN + PCN's. Sometimes on the rare one's it will tell you to "Submit claims to XXXXXX," on the back of the card, so that can help narrow it down if you have too many to chose from via BIN #'s and PCN's.

Just in response to the person saying it always happens during a busy rush...scan in the image and save the card image so you can go back and look at it later. Get's the line of patients moving and you'll always have the image of the card to mess around with the numbers until you get it right.

True, I had forgotten about the ability to scan cards. Overall, I like the scanner and the functions it serves; however, it makes me nervous to let people leave without having all unresolved issues straightened out ("submit at least one script before letting them walk/drive off to make sure eveything is working" was drilled into my head when I trained and I guess I never got out of that mode).

I have recently joined the pharmacy at walgreens as a technician and I am having trouble with the insurance codes. If you read this would you be able to send me the codes? Please and Thank you.

I've found that I can remember the ones I use more often such as PERX, PAID, ANT, and of course, the lovely Indiana Medicaid. It reminds me of sig codes (I still can't remember left ear....lol :rolleyes:)It all comes from practice, practice, practice. (And let me tell ya, 4 and 1/2 years is a lot of practice.)

Suggestions:
1. Use the BIN and PCN numbers before you do anything
2. Scan the card, and figure it out
3. Ask the pharmacist if it isn't too busy
4. If all else fails, call the insurance company

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a newby and also have problems with these codes. Is it possible that you might be able to send these to me also? If so I will send you my email address. Any help is welcome to learning anything so to take my test and pass. Thank you

Last edited:
when i started tech training, the pharmacy manager printed a list of insurance codes that would be helpful to me, if you want i can email you the list. but the pharm manager should be able to get it off the storenet site.

would it be possible that you might be able to send a list to me?

Hi everybody,

I just started working as a tech at Walgreens in CA and I have difficulty identifying the codes of all insurannce companies. Does anybody know the list or where to find info on that? Like: CAMED, BCCAl, HNET, etc.

I didn't get trained properly because my home store now is so busy with Inventories stuff. Hopefully, I will get better with time.

Thank you!
I too am training at Walgreens and they are so busy it is hard to get any training. I have found the ESI is the easiest along with the WMED. But can us any help I can get in this area as well.

hey im a new member...i have trouble with them insurance codes...i was wondering if i can get the cheat sheet also thanks

crystal aka divamom

It really is just a learn as you go process. And the thing is every pharmacy is different. At mine Florida blue cross (FLBC grp: FLBCS), tricare (TRISE grp:trrx), Express Scripts ( PERX), Medco/UHEALTH (PAID), Aetna (aetna), Caremark (CRK), Medicaid (FLMED), vista (WORQ), and Health Ease (WHI) are the most common. But I've worked at many others (just in the same town) and I'll get crazy ones I've never seen. Even at mine because of college students, you just never know. There are only so many you can memorize and the third party inquiry and your telephone are the best things you can use. Some require and dont require groups, person codes, and linking..and this is what the third party tells you. Just read the card for pharmacy info and if all else fails CALL. I used to hate calling but it really is the best thing to do sometimes, especially since a lot of them are open 24 hrs for the pharmacy. :)

Please send me the insurance codes too! I'm in California.:love:

If you don't have a list yet, I'm in TN and we have one at work I think. The new third party function where you can input the bin and pcn directly from the patient's profile is WAY helpful tho!

A little trick I taught myself to remember the left and right ear....back in the day left handed people were thought to be evil or (sinister....where the s comes from in the sig for the left ear). And, if you look at the inside of your ear, it looks like a typed "a". So....the left ear that looks like an "a" and is sinister....sig "as"...I hope this helped and didn't confuse you.

I've found that I can remember the ones I use more often such as PERX, PAID, ANT, and of course, the lovely Indiana Medicaid. It reminds me of sig codes (I still can't remember left ear....lol :rolleyes:)It all comes from practice, practice, practice. (And let me tell ya, 4 and 1/2 years is a lot of practice.)

Suggestions:
1. Use the BIN and PCN numbers before you do anything
2. Scan the card, and figure it out
3. Ask the pharmacist if it isn't too busy
4. If all else fails, call the insurance company

aside from the insurance cheat sheet codes, remember findmpd for the older patients. A lot of my patients either A) don't know where the card is B) don't know what I'm talking about when I ask for an insurance card C) it's just easier to ask if you have medicare part D and looking it up yourself instead of waiting for them to sift through their belongings to see if they brought it.

FINDMPD in plan ID, anything in the ID field and submit. Some people like to use SSN, but you don't need it. Plus it's great because it enters in all the info for you anyways.

Tip: always read the TPR message. It irritates me when I go through our 150 TPRs to find about 20 that tells you how to solve the TPR immediately in the rejection.

Also PERX (express scripts) and ESI are the same thing. One of my new techs got confused, so just FYI.

For military/tricare I recommend just using CHAMP and the sponser's SSN. No group needed. I know the older plan id says you need the TRRX group, but CHAMP works just fine without it.

If you're in SoCal and get the county MSI card, it's FAMHN and the ID+01 at the end. A lot of people get stuck and don't remember to put 01 after the ID.

If you get a mediCAL card that's not Calop, put in calop anyways sometimes they have both, if you run it and they have straight CAMED then remove it, otherwise if they have both and you submit it through CAMED it'll reject. CALOP ID using that card is all the numbers including the letter, CAMED is same just add the YYMMDD issue date after the letter. CALOP is ALWAYS primary if they have both calop/camed coverage.

If you get a green mediCAL card, it's FPACT, don't forget the issue date or you can just use todays date YYMMDD format.

Just try and familiarize yourself with it, or ask someone for help. After a while you just kind of commit it to memory and learn tricks here and there.

For Medco (ID: PAID) don't forget the 3 digit person code and group

For Aetna with the weird BBQA whatever IDs the last letter usually corresponds to the person on the plan A=primary B=spouse C=first child etc, so if the angry parental is staring at you and it keeps coming back as invalid birthdate/cardholder that's probably the problem.

Last edited:
Im in california too.... just starting to do the training with walgreens but INS is giving me a headache because i have no clue. It will be awesome if i can get a list of codes and guide if anyone has it. thanks. I appreciate any help :)

can you send me the cheat sheet. I just started working at walgreens 3 weeks ago.

I wish I had a sheet with all the PA #s and DUR rejection codes and the diagnosis codes would help too. Michigan's a mess though.

Hi all,
I am in the same boat but in Wisconsin. Can anyone supply me with a list of insurance codes that Walgreens uses. I work at a very busy pharmacy and the techs don't have the time to train me properly. I am very frustrated and thinking of quitting because of this. Problem is, I love the work but am having a really hard time with the insurance codes.
Thanks much.

I'm taking pharm tech classes and about to be doing an externship at walgreens. May I have that cheat sheet too please? Thanks

Hi can somebody send me that cheat sheet as well...I just started working for walgreens a week ago and I"m having a hard time with the insurance codes.

Considering the person with the cheat sheet hasn't posted since 2007... think you'll be waiting a while on that one.

Hey guys, I just joined Walgreens and I'm having trouble with the insurances short codes... i was wondering if someone can send me the cheat sheet or a list of the short codes? thanks so much! Heres my email. [email protected]

Once again: the OP hasn't been here in nearly 5 years. Sad as it may be, no cheat sheet will be forthcoming.

Which is a damn shame, really.

Honestly, it all narrows down to like the same 10 companies.

ESI/PERX (usually requires person code and requires group)
PAID (three digit person code) (requires group)
ANT (no group and usually no person code)
Aetna (no group and usually no person code)
CRK/APM (group and person code required)
PHARM (group required...can't remember person code)
MEDICARE (ID number straight from card...ask them if they have the red, white, and blue card. This is useful for diabetic supplies, however the prescriber must fill out a CMN form and fax it to the Walgreens Medicare office in Illinois and if they change the directions, they have to change the form or else it gets all screwy)
IMMUNMPB (ID from medicare B card. Free flu and pneumonia shot! Does not cover shingles shot, have them contact their Part D plan or primary insurance to see if it covered at a retail pharmacy. Sometimes they'll cover the shot, but only if we dispense it. And we can't dispense Zostavax, it must be administered on site.)
And whatever your state medicaid is.
And whatever other popular ones are in your region. You'll learn quickly enough.

Coupons?
Therapy First=THRFT (group required)
Restat Coupon=RSPCOB or some crap like that, I never remember that one exactly.
Then there's another one that's AEBSCOB or something like that. Group required for both. One of these requires person codes, I can't remember. Check third party inquiry and it will tell you.

Worker's comp is a pain in the rear! Before the patient walks away, make sure you have the date of injury, social security number, current employer, and a contact phone number and address. I don't care what it says in IC+, someone's fat fingers could have punched it in wrong. Write it down for yourself on the back of the script. So if they don't have the ID information, you can call the workers comp (usually First Script or Matrix up in my area) and have the info to find them. Otherwise they give you the whole spiel "sorry, i can't find them in the system blah blah blah".

Best way to figure out if it's any of those? Look at the card. If you see the word express scripts, PERX. If you see CVS caremark...CRK or APM. Oxford and United health are PAID. Occasionally you'll get the oddball plans. Over in this area, some empire plans are processed under PAID while others are under PERX. Honestly, whenever I see BIN 610014 I know it's PAID. But that's pure memorization.

If you forget if you need a group number or not, use the third party inquiry. Plug in the group, or plan name. It will tell you if group required, person code, etc. For Tricare and certain coupons, it will even tell you the group.

If you get a TPR saying to put in an override code...read what it says. If you need to put in 9994 in the PA field for a brand name drug, do it. RxEntry, Options, Third Party, Prior Auth: 9994.

If you get something like ***RxLSA*** when filling lamictal (or a few other drugs), first make sure you typed the script correctly, then go to options, third party, Prior Auth: 6666. Then it will go through. It's basically saying that you're filling the correct drug so this person doesn't die and we don't get sued if for some reason the pharmacist doesn't catch it.

Insurance DUR's are different from actual DUR status in the queue. Insurance DUR's pop up as TPRs. Make sure it isn't an early refill (it will say early refill). If it's a drug interaction, (in my store we print the screen so it's tangible and I can slap the pharmacist in the face with it if they forget I told them about it) create an exception that says drug interaction DUR or something and have the pharmacist review it. Yeah, the interaction will probably pop up again while they F4 the prescription, but god forbid it doesn't and something awful happens. Techs really shouldn't clear DURs unless talking to the pharmacist first and they have the OK to do it (because the pharmcist is just so busy sometimes they can't be bothered to hit M0 1B).

Other basic info you may need to know when people go "WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!?!"
-Deductible: They need to pay a certain amount out of pocket before full benefits kick in. The insurance takes off a % stille, about 10-20, but sometimes the patients can be left paying hundreds of dollars. Certain insurance plans tell us if there is a deductible remaining or not, others you are SOL. In the work queue, select the RX, then go to options, view claim info. Usually on the right hand side it will tell you if there is a deductible that needs to be met.

-Non-formulary: Insurance companies have a list of preferred drugs and generics that have cheaper copays. If the drug isn't on that list (Proventil vs Proair....Crestor vs Simvastatin etc), they may be charged a higher rate. Sometimes a penalty fee can apply for getting the non-formulary drug. This fee and penalty often results in an over a hundred dollar copay. Suggest that they don't have to take the drug right now and they can speak to the doctor and insurance company to find a cheaper alternative

Prior Authorization: Insurance won't pay for the drug until the prescriber contacts them and explain why they are using this drug instead of specific other drugs, such as generics. More often than not, people have tried the generics and they didn't work so that's why they're using this one. It just requires someone from the doctor's office to call the insurance and explain why they're using that one. Most of the time, PA's go through. Other times it's not as fun. Honestly once we send the fax to the doctor's office, it is out of our hands. It all depends on how mquickly the doctor contacts the insurance and how quickly it processes in the insurance's system. This can take up to 72 hours if done immediately.

Some insurance plans just suck. Period. I think that's all I can think of for right now...I have a final in about 20 minutes so thanks for keeping me preoccupied! Haha!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! please send the list of Walgreens insurance code , I just start working at Walgreens.
Thanks . Im very appreciate yoyr help.

I made a little cheat sheet for myself. send me your email and I can send it to you.

HI my email is:[email protected], please send me the list of Walgreens insurance code please, I just start working at Walgreens and have trouble with insurance code please help.::)

Hi!
My email is [email protected], please send me the list of insurance code please , I have trouble with insurance code, I just start working at Walgreens.
Thank you and very appreciate your help.

Hi!
My email is [email protected], please send me the list of insurance code please , I have trouble with insurance code, I just start working at Walgreens.
Thank you and very appreciate your help.

Post was from 2007. Just read the posts on this thread because it goes over the insurance codes anyway. PM me if you have any more questions. :D

lol just read the really long post from 2011, its obsolete now. just use your F10 key, input both bin and pcn#, I believe, wags, cvs, walmart all have this function. Good luck!

Hey is there any way you can send me this email
I have the same problem right now

I could really use the cheat codes! Any cheat codes, LOL! Everyone is so busy, it is hard to ask them to stop and help. I also need Directions codes for inputting prescriptions.

Any help is better than none!
Thanks!

Hi.
Are you still at this email address? And are you able to send a cheat sheet of the most popular and puzzling TPR rejections and how to solve them please?
my email is [email protected]