WAMC 3.17sGPA 3.53 cGPA 500 MCAT(125x4) veteran non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRQ Veteran

Reaction score
Might be late considering that I am applied already to 7 DO schools, of which 4 of 7 have asked for secondaries and 2 additional are evaluating for a secondary (have not heard from one school yet). Also, because of a SNAFU at AACOMAS, my primary was not certified for an extra 2 months. Submitted early November, certified early January

My ECs are a bit lacking. 50 hours shadowing/ volunteer work in medical missions in a foreign country, 6 years Navy, and a lot of Church volunteering. No real clinical or research experience due to needing to support my family.

Slight downward trend in science, as my roommate commit suicide in my second to last semester (fellow veteran and best friend from military) and the subsequent chaos caused me to get the only D I have ever received.

One Doctor LOR, one science teacher LOR (a second has not submitted yet, despite my best efforts), and a LOR from the president of my company.

I have been out of school since 2013. It has been very difficult to get LORs from science teachers who have not seen me in nearly a decade.

Praying for a chance. Also; first post ever, although I have been lurking for years. Can't wait to write a success story.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may not be accepted this cycle due to your late application. However, If you receive no interviews by April or no acceptance post interview by June you should reapply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
It would also be worth applying to all your Florida MD schools (except Miami) and include the new school NOVA MD.Your veteran status will help your chances for a MD interview.

Some of my schools are on that list, so here's hoping one of them will call. I am wondering if it would make sense to call aacomas and have them call the schools that I am applying to and tell them about the problem on their side that delayed my apps by two months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

If no luck this cycle, I might consider a possible retake for the MCAT. If you work your butt off and score 510+, you could even throw some MD schools in for next cycle. Something to consider... also thank you for your service!

I've thought about re-taking the MCAT. The score above represents me being out of school for over 5 years and only a single week worth of studying before hand. It would be tough considering the wife and kids to make the time to study, while also working my regular day job 50+ hours a week. But I can't escape the notion that if I actually spent the time to properly study, that I would do much better on the MCAT. With something this important, a couple months of sleep deprivation is a small price to pay. Lord knows that once I am in school, it will be many years of losing sleep anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile