MD & DO WAMC-3.54c 3.4s 517 MCAT CA ORM Extreme non-consistent GPA trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chano

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says I'm a ORM with a 3.5c and 3.4s with a 517 with a non-consistent GPA trend. I attended a mid-tier UC.

I went from ...
1st year 3.8, Second Year 3.5, Third Year 3.4, Fourth year 3.2 fifth year to 2.8( no science classes here and barley any units taken) and than DIY Post Bacc(4.0 out of bunch of harder classes like Immunology and etc..) with ALOT of Units to make myself at a Cumlative 3.5c and 3.4sc. I grinded hard for the MCAT but alot of why my GPA turned crappy is cause it had to deal with something personal about my mom getting COVID and she was high risk. Because of this i got a F on my transcipt at my UC school, but the class was like 1 unit in quarter system and does not effect by GPA what so ever. However during my 4th year I got a D in Calc and as well. I felt like i had alot on my plate then but I retook those classes again in my DIY post-bacc and got an A in them. After that was over I was straight raking A's at two pretty good presitous school post-bacc school programs. I'm getting ready for the next cycle but I just wanted some feed back to know what are my chances and a good school list to go along with.

Major: Social Sciences Major
Minor: Chemistry

Clincal EC's
1)Hospice Volunteer - 1.5 years(stopped cause of COVID) about 300 hours
2)Medical Assistant- Paid Job- current job (been 9 months)- 500+ hours
3) Co-Founded a Organization that gets donations from Hospitals for Tampons so we can donate it to the homeless women in LA because of how unsaniatry rags and cloths are during COVID-19 - 6 months(and still going) - 350 hours
4) Shadowing - 100 hours- Shadowed Family Med, Oral Surgeon, Derm, and IM.
5) Pharm Tech- 200 hours- When I was a senior in HS(last couple of months)

Non-Clincal EC's
5) Mentor and Tutor for the Underserved areas in LA.-2 years and counting( 350+)Helped in biology, chem, and other topics. Menoted kids about college apps and life in general.
6) President and Co-Founder of a Medical Research Club- 9 months( 350+) that taught students how to deal with research and set them up with internships and networking in my undergrad campus.
8) Saxaphone Club on Campus( 1 year)- Less than 50 hours prob
9) Eagle Scout - Over 500+ Hours
10) Med Podcast

Research
11) Independent Research- 9 months- 250 Hours- Poster Presentation
12) Public Health Research at T20 Med School - 9 months - 300 Hours- Poster Presentation
13) Genetics Lab - 3 monhs - 300 hours- No Poster, I helped with the stats and literature only.

LOR- I feel like they will be pretty strong
Personal Statement will be good too as I can create a good narative from my EC's

Just super nervous for next cycle because the cycle is so expensive and I saved up a bunch so I could apply once and never do it again. Willing to spend the money to apply 45 MD and 10 DO, but still feel like the MCAT wont beat how inconsistent my GPA is. If you can please share thoughts and a good school list. Also if you could, point out if the app looks good or needs more work to it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

After that was over I was straight raking A's at two pretty good presitous school post-bacc school programs.

For clarification, you did two post-baccs? Was it online? Just curious how the logistics worked. Also what was your post-bacc GPA and how many credits?

Also I would not say you have a non-consistent GPA trend. It was a clear downward trend in college and then you turned it around in the post-bacc. I think the biggest factor will be the number of credits in your post-bacc and your narrative.

Reactions: 1 user