WAMC: 3.6 cGPA/519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plantqueen

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I don't know anyone else personally who is also applying this year and no one in my family has ever gone to medical school so I would love some feedback on my school list.

1. cGPA: ~ 3.6 and sGPA: ~3.5 (3.7-->3.3-->3.75-->3.9)
2. MCAT: 519 (128 C/P, 130 CARS, 131 B/B, 130 P/S)
3. State of residency: WA
4. Undergraduate institution: UW
5. Clinical experience: Outpatient medical scribe (cardiology, otolaryngology, dermatology) [most meaningful], 3000 hours. Attended a medical/dental brigade with Global Medical Brigades (shadowed during this experience too), 200 hours including time spent participating in the organization on campus (member for 3 years).
6. Research experience: Clinical research with a surgeon examining health disparities in WA state over the course of 2 years [Most meaningful], 600 hours. Presented my abstract at a national conference and currently writing up manuscript (I'll be first author), 20 hours. Clinical research assistant at UW med (consented patients for our study), 200 hours.
7. Shadowing: Special observership program I was accepted into (neurosurgery, house rounds, cath lab) and shadowing coordinated on my own in neurosurgery, dermatology, and urological surgery, 150 hours. Scribing has also given me great exposure to healthcare.
8. Non-clinical volunteering: Crisis text line counselor, 200 hours (I had a pre-health advisor tell me this is clinical but I'm still not sure). Algebra and biology tutor with a nonprofit for high school students, 250 hours. Peer facilitator for introductory biology lecture, 20 hours. Volunteer dissector for anatomy lab, 20 hours.
9. Other extracurriculars: Vice President of my sorority [most meaningful], 500 hours. Retail sales associate to support myself throughout undergrad, 4500 hours. I enjoy gardening and fitness.
10. Relevant honors/awards: Dean's list 9/12 quarters enrolled. Member of a Greek honor society (included some community service), 50 hours.
11. Anything else: I have 2 LOR from biology professors, 1 LOR from a non-science professor, and 1 LOR from the surgeon I shadowed and did research with. I'm also half-Asian, half-white. I'm very interested in academic surgery.

School list:
University of Washington
Washington State University
Kaiser
USC Keck
Mayo (reach)
UCSF (reach)
Oregon Health and Science (debating since OOS)
Rush
Stanford (reach)
Brown
Arizona - Tucson
Arizona - Phoenix
UC Davis (debating since OOS)
UC Irvine (debating since OOS)
UCLA
UCSD (debating since OOS)
Colorado
Utah (debating since OOS)
Northwestern
Dartmouth
California University of Science and Medicine
California Northstate
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton

Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Remove those state public schools on your list that you are debating as well as the reach schools UCSF ad Stanford (Mayo is fine). You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Western Michigan

Remove those state public schools on your list that you are debating as well as the reach schools UCSF ad Stanford (Mayo is fine). You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Western Michigan
Thank you so much for the feedback! I know the AAMC says the average applicant applies to 16 schools but I'm wondering if you have any advice on how many to apply to to maximize my chances of an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your in-states should be viable, and they would be your best chance. Have you reached out to students at both UW and WSU to know the difference in their learning culture and student support? How about any of the OOS schools you are mulling over?

Your in-states should be viable, and they would be your best chance. Have you reached out to students at both UW and WSU to know the difference in their learning culture and student support? How about any of the OOS schools you are mulling over?
Thank you for your response! I have reached out to UW and WSU and have a general sense of which one would be a better fit. I have not reached out to the OOS schools because I don't know how feasible an acceptance would be for me and I'm trying to save money for my secondaries. I think I will follow Faha's advice and take them off my list so I can focus on the other schools.

Reactions: 1 user