WAMC- 3.97 GPA 512 MCAT- ORM w/Low clinical hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spooderman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Planning to apply for the 2023-2024 cycle. Looking for feedback on school list. I know one of my biggest weakness is low clinical hours, but it is what is at this point, and my MCAT expires at most schools after this year.
  1. GPA: 3.97 cGPA/ 3.94 sGPA
  2. MCAT: 512(128/127/128/129)
  3. Residence: Ohio
  4. Race: White Male
  5. University: Public University
  6. Major: Biochemistry
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Volunteer:
40 hours in ER (Preparing rooms, and restocking supplies)
20 hours in Free clinic
70 hours as a hospice volunteer (I know future hours don't count for much, but expected to add another 150 hours over the next year)

1. Research experience and productivity
40 hours clinical (worked on a genetic database, published in paper)

2000+ hours in immunology lab as a research assistant in first gap year (Published in Review Paper, One poster presentation), expected to be over 4000 hours after second gap year with a few more publications and posters.

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
40 hours Pediatric Ophthalmology, 16 hours Allergy/Immunology, 16 Hours Oncology, 20 hours primary care

1. Non-clinical volunteering
50 hours tutoring at local library
30 hours helping at a learning center for students during the pandemic that needed safe places to study
200 hours volunteering at a local meal center for the homeless

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Helped start and lead an organization that increases access to affordable 3D printed prosthetics

Lead for three years in a Christian organization, emphasis on leadership in small group setting, and mentorship to younger students
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Dean's list every semester

Tentative School List:

Colorado
Qunnipiac
Georgetown
Geroge Washington
Emory
Rosalind Frankilin
Loyola Chicago
Rush
Western michigan Univesity
Oakland University William Beaumont SOM
Hackensack
Duke
Wake Forest
Albany
New York Medical College
CWRU SoM
NEOMED
OSU COM
Toledo
Cinci
Wright State
Penn State
Drexel University
Geisinger Commonwealth SOM
Temple
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Pitt
TCU
Vermont
VCU
Medical college of Wisconsin
Brown
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the schools on your list are unrealistic with your MCAT of 512 and your low clinical exposure hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
NEOMED
Wright State
Cincinnati
Ohio State
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Do you think it's worth adding more DO schools? I really don't want to take the MCAT again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your low clinical hours are going to get in your way for a successful application cycle unless there is something else outstanding in your application (which we can't see here due to lack of detail). To maximize your chances, really focus on getting more insight on what doctors do.

Your low clinical hours are going to get in your way for a successful application cycle unless there is something else outstanding in your application (which we can't see here due to lack of detail). To maximize your chances, really focus on getting more insight on what doctors do.
Yeah, I agree. Doing my best to get to at least 150 hours by applying, but they don't make it easy to get the opportunities I need. Any recommendations on non-conventional ways to get clinical exposure?