WAMC after my masters and DAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelazyvaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: June 20, 2020 for this cycle, and in May for 2021 (the 2021 cycle will be my best shot out of the two cycles)
Overall GPA: 3.13
Science GPA: 2.84 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to a 3.00)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.81 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to 3.00)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA; BIO 16; GC 20; OC 18; PAT 19; QR 16; RC 21; TS 18
State of Residence: PM me

Undergrad Attended: State School
Major: Biology (Pre-Dental concentration)
Minor: Biochemistry
Minority? Cherokee Nation
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300+ hours (mostly general, but all specialties included - pedo, endo, ortho mainly)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community service, public health fairs, etc.)
Employment: 250+ hours (sterilization technician for a general/pedo office) & a full year (fall/spring) as a lab instructor for Functional Biology
Research: No research whatsoever
Other Extracurriculars: Hundreds of hours of EC's (hobbies mainly - sports, craftsmanship, fishing, etc.) & a couple dental clubs as a member
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, a local community award for being a citizen that helps the community
LOR type and strength: Committee letter, two science, and one dental (Strong - all of them)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Attending one year masters program at Tulane in Biomedical Sciences (M.S. in Medical Genetics & Genomics - incorporates Tulane medical school curriculum), and from underserved and underperforming community.

School list:

All four Texas schools
Howard
Meharry
Western
Roseman
Tufts
Lake Erie
UNE
BU
NOVA
NYU
A.T. Still
East Carolina
Touro
USC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
URM and underserved is a plus, make sure you note that on the application. It’s good that you’re doing a masters, maintain a 4.0 in that program! Be sure to bring up your sGPA to at least 3.0 since this is the cutoff for most schools. You need to get your DAT scores way up. Aim for 20+ in all categories! Use one of the DAT breakdowns you prefer in the DAT section of sdn. I can give you the materials I recommend if your interested. Everything else looks good.

Reactions: 1 user
URM and underserved is a plus, make sure you note that on the application. It’s good that you’re doing a masters, maintain a 4.0 in that program! Be sure to bring up your sGPA to at least 3.0 since this is the cutoff for most schools. You need to get your DAT scores way up. Aim for 20+ in all categories! Use one of the DAT breakdowns you prefer in the DAT section of sdn. I can give you the materials I recommend if your interested. Everything else looks good.

How do I bring my sGPA up to a 3.0 when I am currently graduated from my undergraduate? Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I bring my sGPA up to a 3.0 when I am currently graduated from my undergraduate? Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
You mean how to you bring your sgpa up post graduation? If you’re still in undergrad, take some easy science classes and be sure to get A’s. I don’t know how the masters would factor into your sGPA though. Ask your question again in this forum I have attached below, maybe artist is more knowledgable about this.:

You mean how to you bring your sgpa up post graduation? If you’re still in undergrad, take some easy science classes and be sure to get A’s. I don’t know how the masters would factor into your sGPA though. Ask your question again in this forum I have attached below, maybe artist is more knowledgable about this.:

I just graduated this Spring, so my undergraduate GPA's are locked unless I take undergraduate science courses this summer before my masters program in August. Will dental schools excuse a 2.8-2.9 sGPA if I do very well in my masters program?

Honestly, if you can take some summer science courses to bring your sgpa to 3.0, I would do it! Most schools will not accept below a 3.0. And on top of it, maintain a 4.0 in your masters will show an academic upswing, which is important to adcoms.

Okay read this post attached below, sounds like a masters GPA won’t improve your sGPA. That’s why students in your situation choose to do a postbacc rather than a masters. But while you’re in your masters, you can always take extra science classes at a nearby university or community college, assuming you can’t bring your sGPA up to 3.0 this summer. You can even take some well respected online courses, however some schools don’t accept these credits.

Honestly, if you can take some summer science courses to bring your sgpa to 3.0, I would do it! Most schools will not accept below a 3.0. And on top of it, maintain a 4.0 in your masters will show an academic upswing, which is important to adcoms.

I tried searching, but could not find much. Is there a list that state cutoffs for each school? Thanks again!

Okay read this post attached below, sounds like a masters GPA won’t improve your sGPA. That’s why students in your situation choose to do a postbacc rather than a masters. But while you’re in your masters, you can always take extra science classes at a nearby university or community college, assuming you can’t bring your sGPA up to 3.0 this summer. You can even take some well respected online courses, however some schools don’t accept these credits.

Thank you for adding this. It will definitely be something I consider during my masters program.

This information (Which schools accept below 3.0) is listed in the ADEA guide to dental schools. If you don’t already have it, buy an online copy, it’ll be the best money you ever spent since it has everything you would want/need to know for applying to schools organized into one ebooklet.

I tried searching, but could not find much. Is there a list that state cutoffs for each school? Thanks again!
This information (Which schools accept below 3.0) is listed in the ADEA guide to dental schools. If you don’t already have it, buy an online copy, it’ll be the best money you ever spent since it has everything you would want/need to know for applying to schools organized into one ebooklet.

I will buy it! I have got to ask though, is it a majority of dental schools that will not accept under 3.0 sGPA?

I will buy it! I have got to ask though, is it a majority of dental schools that will not accept under 3.0 sGPA?
Yes here’s my proof. Here’s an old copy of the ADEA guide (you should still get the newest copy), go to pages 38-42 and look at “GPA.” These likely haven’t changed much:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes here’s my proof. Here’s an old copy of the ADEA guide (you should still get the newest copy), go to pages 38-42 and look at “GPA.” These likely haven’t changed much:

Thank you for the effort and patience with me. It really has been appreciated, and you have cleared some aspects up for me. It looks like it would be recommended for me to take some online science courses during my masters program, and do better on my DAT retake come Summer of 2021. In addition to those two things, it seems I need to do very well in my masters program, and work on my application to mention some key things about myself (URM, underserved, and to sell myself using EC+ & family in the profession).

Did I seem to nail the things I need to do moving forward?

Thanks again, and I hope I did not bother you too much!

Th

Thanks again!

Thank you for the effort and patience with me. It really has been appreciated, and you have cleared some aspects up for me. It looks like it would be recommended for me to take some online science courses during my masters program, and do better on my DAT retake come Summer of 2021. In addition to those two things, it seems I need to do very well in my masters program, and work on my application to mention some key things about myself (URM, underserved, and to sell myself using EC+ & family in the profession).

Did I seem to nail the things I need to do moving forward?

Thanks again, and I hope I did not bother you too much!
No you didn’t bother me, here to help. And yes, you nailed all the important things!

Haha I figured you would reformat your thread :arghh: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄, the template makes things easier to follow.

I didn't read through all the posts but to the point about sGPAs and Masters programs, doing very well in a Masters program (like 3.8+) will help show schools you can handle dental school and you would be less likely to be auto-rejected for it being less than 3.0. Granted, some schools don't care either way and always want a 3.0 and above, but it's hard to tell which schools those are, so you just have to take your chances. BUT if you are able to take a few classes this summer and get it up to a 3.0 (because you seem very close), I would definitely do that.

But anyway, focus on doing well in the masters and getting your DAT scores to be above 20 for every section and you should have a really solid shot!

Best of luck!

Haha I figured you would reformat your thread :arghh: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄, the template makes things easier to follow.

I didn't read through all the posts but to the point about sGPAs and Masters programs, doing very well in a Masters program (like 3.8+) will help show schools you can handle dental school and you would be less likely to be auto-rejected for it being less than 3.0. Granted, some schools don't care either way and always want a 3.0 and above, but it's hard to tell which schools those are, so you just have to take your chances. BUT if you are able to take a few classes this summer and get it up to a 3.0 (because you seem very close), I would definitely do that.

But anyway, focus on doing well in the masters and getting your DAT scores to be above 20 for every section and you should have a really solid shot!

Best of luck!

Hello again Artist2022, I really do apologize that I did not format correctly. I stupidly just formatted the title of the post, and completely ignored the bulk of the formatting...

Thank you for still responding though, it is greatly appreciated. I know it's a bit late now considering you gave me some advice, but for giggles I formatted correctly in the post (might take a minute or two to copy and paste after I submit this response), and copied below the message I am writing right now. Perhaps if you see anything you did not see before, that may be a win for me! If it also helps, the masters program actually uses a few classes from Tulane medical school (so that might be a better indication than an average masters course? - is my logic correct?). Anyways, thanks again, and I hope y'all have a good rest of your day.

Date of submission: June 20, 2020 for this cycle, and in May for 2021 (the 2021 cycle will be my best shot out of the two cycles)
Overall GPA: 3.12ish (still waiting on a grade - could be anywhere from 3.12-3.14)
Science GPA: 2.88 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to a 3.00)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.87 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to 3.00)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA; BIO 16; GC 20; OC 18; PAT 19; QR 16; RC 21; TS 18
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: Texas State University
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300+ hours (mostly general, but all specialties included - pedo, endo, ortho mainly)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community service, public health fairs, etc.)
Employment: 250+ hours (sterilization technician for a general/pedo office) & a full year (fall/spring) as a lab instructor for Functional Biology
Other Extracurriculars: Hundreds of hours of EC's (hobbies mainly - sports, craftsmanship, fishing, etc.) & a couple dental clubs as a member
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, a local community award for being a citizen that helps the community
LOR type and strength: Committee letter, two science, and one dental (Strong - all of them)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Attending one year masters program at Tulane in Biomedical Sciences (incorporates Tulane medical school curriculum) & from underserved and underperforming community.

School list:

All four Texas schools
Howard
MeHarry
Western
Roseman
Tufts
Lake Erie
UNE
BU
NOVA
NYU
A.T. Still
East Carolina
Touro
USC

Last edited:
Hello again Artist2022, I really do apologize that I did not format correctly. I stupidly just formatted the title of the post, and completely ignored the bulk of the formatting...

Thank you for still responding though, it is greatly appreciated. I know it's a bit late now considering you gave me some advice, but for giggles I formatted correctly in the post (might take a minute or two to copy and paste after I submit this response), and copied below the message I am writing right now. Perhaps if you see anything you did not see before, that may be a win for me! If it also helps, the masters program actually uses a few classes from Tulane medical school (so that might be a better indication than an average masters course? - is my logic correct?). Anyways, thanks again, and I hope y'all have a good rest of your day.

Overall GPA: 3.12ish (still waiting on a grade - could be anywhere from 3.12-3.14)
Science GPA: 2.88 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to a 3.00)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.87 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to 3.00)
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: Texas State University
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Attending one year masters program at Tulane in Biomedical Sciences (incorporates Tulane medical school curriculum) & from underserved and underperforming community.

School list:

All four Texas schools
Howard?
MeHarry?
Western
Roseman
Tufts
Lake Erie
UNE
BU
NOVA
NYU
A.T. Still
East Carolina
Touro
USC

ECU takes very very few OOS

See now we have your residency, LOR info and your school list! I think your list is pretty good, I would just remove ECU as they literally accept 0 OOS people. Keep Meharry and Howard though. Good luck this cycle!

See now we have your residency, LOR info and your school list! I think your list is pretty good, I would just remove ECU as they literally accept 0 OOS people. Keep Meharry and Howard though. Good luck this cycle!

Thanks again!

TBH: best shot and most economical will be your Texas schools. I'd take a hard look at the support for URM students, so network with the SNMA chapters at all the schools. Being from a minority-serving undergraduate/HBCU should also be helpful but you need to know which schools have accepted students from your program and what support you'd get at the schools themselves. The other HBCU schools also should give you a good look as would Arizona AT Still since a lot of their community service work also connects with Native American populations there. (Not sure, but find out if Oklahoma does the same.)

Are you thinking about public health service because if so I would encourage you to connect with the National Health Service Corps... that may help open up many more doors out of state if you get that scholarship.

TBH: best shot and most economical will be your Texas schools. I'd take a hard look at the support for URM students, so network with the SNMA chapters at all the schools. Being from a minority-serving undergraduate/HBCU should also be helpful but you need to know which schools have accepted students from your program and what support you'd get at the schools themselves. The other HBCU schools also should give you a good look as would Arizona AT Still since a lot of their community service work also connects with Native American populations there. (Not sure, but find out if Oklahoma does the same.)

Are you thinking about public health service because if so I would encourage you to connect with the National Health Service Corps... that may help open up many more doors out of state if you get that scholarship.

Thank you