WAMC and list help? 520 MCAT, 3.74 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZRobbins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Please don't quote)
Hi all,
I'm currently gearing up to apply, but I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing down my list, especially with the conflicting advice I've gotten about what to consider a target school.

Here are my stats:
MCAT: 520 GPA: 3.78 sGPA: 3.69
LizzyM: 74 WARS ~80

Junior biochemistry major, applied stats minor

130 hrs non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, music-related things)
70 hrs clinical volunteering (hospital Childlife)
90 hrs shadowing (primary care and specialty)

Chemistry lab TA during the semester, TA for a summer science program for high schoolers.
ECs: Business Manager and treasurer of my a cappella group, in a select choir, awards for vocal performance
Research: A few semesters on bench-research projects, switched to public health research. Will be on 2 papers submitted this summer and presenting at a conference in the fall (not sure if I can put that on my app, unfortunately). Also conducting public health research this summer.
Hoping to do an MD/MPH, so I'm looking for a school with good public health research opportunities.
Not sure about a specialty, but interested in academic medicine, public health, maybe pediatrics or endocrinology. My research is on transgender and LGBTQ health, so anywhere with a focus on that is a plus.

From NY, hoping to stay in the Northeast for med school, preferably in a city.
Here is my list so far: Any advice about how to narrow down would be greatly appreciated!

Harvard
Columbia
Duke
Yale
NYU
Weill Cornell
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Warren Alpert- Brown
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Tufts
UMass
Temple
UCONN
Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
Stonybrook
Hofstra
Drexel
Albany
NY Medical College
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions about narrowing down my list? I was planning on applying to <20 schools, but my current list includes 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if I should narrow down based on the strength of their MPH programs, but I'm having trouble finding good information to understand the pros/cons of each program, especially for schools without their own school of public health.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Drexel? Or NYMC? I haven't heard great things and was considering taking them off my list. I'm also wondering if I should add Buffalo and Rochester.

Do you think that my GPA will rule me out for top-tier schools?

Your GPA is at the 25th percentile or so for top-tier schools. It shouldn't rule you out. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users