WAMC and School List Help (Canadian Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckegg

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently on my first gap year, and I plan on applying to American schools this coming cycle. I'm wondering if there are any schools to add/omit from this list, as well as any advice on how to improve my application as an international applicant. Also, during undergrad I didn't take any English courses, and I don't think I could get a letter from a non-science professor... For schools that require a non-science letter, how strict are they about this?

Stats: 3.91, 527
Research: 2 years during undergrad, currently doing research full-time at a med school
Publications: 1 second author, hopefully another in the works
Shadowing: 3 months of shadowing abroad, 20hrs in palliative care and 20hrs in rad onc in the US
Clinical volunteering: ~250hrs
Non-Clinical: 50hrs from undergrad, currently volunteering on weekends
Employment: many many hours working as a receptionist at a clinic, also worked in customer service
Extracurriculars: co-founder of a small club, language tutor, a few other things
School List: Albert Einstein, Boston, Case Western, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, George Washington, Jefferson, Mt. Sinai, NYMC, Penn, Stanford, Stony Brook, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WashU, Wayne State, Yale

Also, is it possible for international students to apply MD/PhD?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the non-science professor: you took history courses, no? You took courses in the humanities, didn't you? Those count as non-science courses. Took psychology or sociology as a freshman? That counts.

Your stats are at rock star level; @Goro says that international students need to be rock stars - and you are.

I would get 100 hours without the underserved in a non clinical setting before applying. I cannot speak to your competitiveness as a non citizen