WAMC Canadian 4.0 GPA/510 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottoncandy123

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a Canadian student looking to apply to Wayne State this year, possibly as Early Decision. I am looking for some guidance to see if my chances are realistic with my MCAT as an Early Decision applicant, or should I wait and rewrite my MCAT before applying? Thank you!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
510 overall, 123/127/130/130. I have no idea what happened on test day as I was averaging 125-127 for C/P on my practice AAMC tests. Is this too low for Early Decision/regular application?
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Canadian
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
ORM but I am an immigrant to Canada.
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Canadian undergraduate degree, BSc in neuroscience
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
This is hard to find as a Canadian, but I am open to suggestions. I worked over a 1000 hours as a pharmacy assistant.
  1. Research experience and productivity
2 prestigious summer research grants
1 publication
3 years of paid research experience - many hours overall - in biomedical sciences, mostly histology work
Few months of volunteer research in organic chemistry
Undergraduate thesis
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Family medicine shadowing - around 20-50 hours depending on when I apply. Hard to find as a Canadian, especially with COVID.
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
Job skills workshop for women
Recruitment coordinator for local organization
Co-chair of campus-wide conference organization committee
Student Union, President and previously Vice-President, for specific research program
Student representative on smoke-free campus policy committee
Student Mentor for 3 years
Student Tutor with organization on campus, started up a course for tutoring with this organization as well
Founder & president of branch of national charity club on campus

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Employment since I was 15 at family business
TA for first year biology and physics
Beginner coder
Gap year - work at family business, volunteer at organizations around my city, shadow
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Largest entrance scholarship offered by my university
President’s list and Dean’s list
High school awards in writing
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Hobbies - reading

I believe the strongest parts of my application might be my research experience and GPA. But I realize I am lacking in clinical experience, and I would be open to building that up and delaying applying as Wayne State says they do not do rolling admissions on their website.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should reach out to Wayne State and see if they think you are a good candidate for early decision. Most of your non-clinical volunteering is on-campus and not within the larger community. Wayne State is a service-oriented school. And as you said, clinical experience also could be a big weakness.

Reactions: 1 user