This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DerArzt321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
WAMC? D.O. underdawg / considering podiatry.

3.34 cGPA (3.6 from degree-granting institutions)
3.09 sGPA (3.45 from degree-granting institutions)
503 MCAT (127/125/124 (CARS)/127); retaking for a shot at 510+ in June; confident I can get at least a 505.

Story:
Long-time lurker on SDN. MI resident. Attended 4 UG schools from '06-'16 (non-trad, worked full time, school part time). Messed up my sGPA (<2.0) at 1st and 3rd schools; did good at 2nd (3.9) and 4th (3.3). Gave up on medicine after AACOMAS-pocalypse in '16 (low sGPA; didn't have funds to apply broadly at that time). Went to law school, hated it, dropped out and now giving this a go one more time because I've tried other things and have continued to find myself thinking about med instead.

ECs:
2 social science research projects (200 hours); never published, but presented at seminars.
200 hours volunteer and volunteer instructor at two hospitals.
Shadowed D.O. for 50 hours.
Extensive work experience in a non-medical field.
Applied to be a scribe at hospital; interviewed yesterday, waiting to hear back.
Currently shadowing DPM.
Old LoRs (5 different ones, with oldest being from '15 and most recent from '17).

What do ya'll think? Should I bother with D.O.? Or DPM? Or find something else to do? Would appreciate input from @Faha or @Goro. Any schools I should add/delete?

For DO:
Alabama COM
Arkansas COM
ATSU (both)
AZCOM
Burrell COM
Campbell COM
Ed Via COM (both)
Lake Eerie COM (both)
LMU-Debusk COM
MSUCOM (b/c I'm MI resident)
Philadelphia COM (both)
Pikesville COM
William Carey COM
Unsure:
Idaho COM? New school, but seems to have hard sGPA cut-off of 3.2.
Marian COM? Stats seem high
TouroNV COM? Stats seem high; site says they prefer sGPA of 3.3+.

For DPM:
DesMoines
Kent
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Barry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for many of the DO schools on your list and should receive several interviews. You could add NYIT Arkansas, WVSOM and UIWSOM. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Members don't see this ad :)