WAMC for this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarExpress1

Reaction score
Date of submission: Mid June
Overall GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT Score: AA: 24, PAT: 23, BIO: 26, OC: 25, GC: 25, RC: 22, QR: 24
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: Small public school (in-state)
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing: ~200 hours (6 general, 2 perio, 1 ortho, 1 omfs).
Volunteering: ~225 hours; Tutoring, ACSM Events, Club Events, and Peer Mentor (mentored students during their first semester of college).
Employment: Soccer Referee (~250 hr), Front desk associate in retail (~800 hr), Tutor for three different organizations (~400), Dental Assistant (190).
Research: 60 hours, No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: VP for science club, treasurer for religious club, peer mentor, leadership organizations, Yankee Dental Congress (attended and volunteered), UPenn Intro to dentistry, Rutgers Gateway to dentistry, Impressions day at Buffalo.
Relevant Honors and Awards: Volunteerism award, leadership awards (2), institutional scholarships.
LOR type and strength: Individual Letter (Very strong; healthcare mentor - faculty at my school), committee letter (Strong; Professors: 1 dentist, 1 physics, 2 bio, 1 orgo, and 1 liberal arts).
Misc info / Things not stated elsewhere / Red flags: I’m applying for HPSP.

School List:
Rutgers
Touro
Buffalo
Tufts
Marquette
Columbia
Harvard
UPenn
Stony Brook
UCONN
Pittsburgh
Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: Mid June
Overall GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT Score: AA: 24, PAT: 23, BIO: 26, OC: 25, GC: 25, RC: 22, QR: 24
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: Small public school (in-state)
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing: ~200 hours (6 general, 2 perio, 1 ortho, 1 omfs).
Volunteering: ~225 hours; Tutoring, ACSM Events, Club Events, and Peer Mentor (mentored students during their first semester of college).
Employment: Soccer Referee (~250 hr), Front desk associate in retail (~800 hr), Tutor for three different organizations (~400), Dental Assistant (190).
Research: 60 hours, No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: VP for science club, treasurer for religious club, peer mentor, leadership organizations, Yankee Dental Congress (attended and volunteered), UPenn Intro to dentistry, Rutgers Gateway to dentistry, Impressions day at Buffalo.
Relevant Honors and Awards: Volunteerism award, leadership awards (2), institutional scholarships.
LOR type and strength: Individual Letter (Very strong; healthcare mentor - faculty at my school), committee letter (Strong; Professors: 1 physics, 2 bio, 1 orgo, and 1 liberal arts).
Misc info / Things not stated elsewhere / Red flags: I’m applying for HPSP.

School List:
Rutgers
Touro
Buffalo
Tufts
Marquette
Columbia
Harvard
UPenn
Stony Brook
UCONN
Pittsburgh
Maryland
list is too long
take off touro...

other than what you already listed, did you volunteer/shadow/attend events at any d schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The list seems fine, very top heavy but you do have the stats for it. Maybe throw in Temple or Case Western if thinking of 1-2 more safetys. I agree, remove Touro. With 100 additional seats being added, with your stats, I don't think you'd want to be a part of that. It sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Reactions: 1 user
Yankee Dental Congress (attended and volunteered), UPenn Intro to dentistry, Rutgers Gateway to dentistry, Impressions day at Buffalo
I will say that you did well with networking. Try to attend individual recruitment events at schools on your list and reconnect with Penn, Rutgers, and UB. Good luck on that HPSP application. You are in a position to have schools recruit you before applying, so connect with other ASDA/SNDA chapter officers. Look for how those of your affinity identity are supported and if there are specific clubs or groups that are in place.

Now for the list: you don't have significant research so if I were to shave some schools from your list, you could consider Columbia and Penn though I'm guessing having gone to the Penn dentistry workshops, you could still get action. I'm not sure about Maryland given OOS/IS preferences (but I could be wrong if things improved on that front). Rutgers would love to have you, but they know the stats make you worthy of getting scooped to Columbia or Penn. You definitely need a few safeties just in case (I pick Temple since it's closer to NJ and you have Penn on the list.)

@Ryxndek brings up a good point: what size of a class do you want to be in? Thankfully you don't have NYU and their huge class. Make a decision for yourself what seems to be the right size of community and resources you want during dental school. Also consider how UConn and Harvard (at last check) teach dental students alongside medical students. Sometimes that's great, but being graded against the medical students... if that's still happening, it might not be so great.

Reactions: 1 users