WAMC/How to Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
please share some wisdom/advice with me :(

When are you applying?
Applying in US, Canada or both?
All classes are factored into your GPA by AMCAS. So your juco grades will be counted.
Much will depend on your MCAT score. It is pointless to speculate without it. But as a FYI Perleman’s mean GPA is 3.8. So you need to be realistic and cast a wide net. And not all schools take international students. Your GPAs are more in line with DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you applying?
Applying in US, Canada or both?
All classes are factored into your GPA by AMCAS. So your juco grades will be counted.
Much will depend on your MCAT score. It is pointless to speculate without it. But as a FYI Perleman’s mean GPA is 3.8. So you need to be realistic and cast a wide net. And not all schools take international students. Your GPAs are more in line with DO schools.

Likely in 2019, both in Canada and U.S. but I have a good sense on where to go for in Canada.
Yes I have the MSAR and have taken a look at some schools; I was just trying to get a sense on how much a good MCAT can equalize. (Though it's a speculation, I think I have solid evidence that I could score fairly high)

My GPA will be a bit higher at graduation as I mentioned, though it may still be low for top 20.
How could I improve my app in your opinion?

Are you Korean?
Your application confuses me. It seems your clinical experiences are in Korea. If that’s the case you need to try to find some clinical work in Canada or the US. Your nonclinical work seems to be all church related. Perhaps you should try to step outside of your comfort zone and do some work with those less fortunate than yourself-serve the underserved. Like volunteer in a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Do you have shadowing? I know it’s difficult to find this in Canada but you really need to have shadowing. How else will you be able to convince ADCOMS that you know how a doc spends his day and you know what you are getting into.

You also really need to change your mindset and Top 20 focus. You have below average GPAs and your ECs are okay but not great or amazing. When you have your MCAT come back and people will be happy to help you out. In the meantime do some research on DO schools. Good luck.

Are you Korean?
Your application confuses me. It seems your clinical experiences are in Korea. If that’s the case you need to try to find some clinical work in Canada or the US. Your nonclinical work seems to be all church related. Perhaps you should try to step outside of your comfort zone and do some work with those less fortunate than yourself-serve the underserved. Like volunteer in a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Do you have shadowing? I know it’s difficult to find this in Canada but you really need to have shadowing. How else will you be able to convince ADCOMS that you know how a doc spends his day and you know what you are getting into.

Does it matter whether clinical experiences are in NA or elsewhere? I mean, for what it's worth, I was translating for international patients at one of the biggest -if not the biggest - hospital in Korea, and gained valuable experiences. Also, is a mentoring program for children from a single-parent homes not considered "serving be underserved?"