WAMC--Low volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackwolf43

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/16
Overall GPA:
BCPM GPA: 3.36
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA,19 TS, 18 Bio, 20 GC, 21 OC, 25 RC, 17 QR, 23 PAT
State of Residence: Texas

Major:
Biology B.S.
Minority? Asian (Bangladeshi)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours with 9 different dentists at 3 different offices
Volunteering Experience: <50
Employment:
Server (15-20 hours per week)
Research: NA
Other Extracurriculars:
Phi Delta Theta, American Chemical Society, Pre-Health Care Club, Tri-Beta (Biology Club)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 2x, Presidents List 2x
LOR type and strength: Pre-dental advisor (Medium), O-Chem Professor (Medium-strong), Dentist spent most time shadowing for (medium), A&P professor (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: retook DAT and score wasn't transmitted until 9/3, scored a 19 AA the first time in 2019
School list:

Texas A&M
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
Meharry
Western U
Temple
UMKC
Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't look like you have any huge weaknesses, but I think you may have needed to apply to more schools. Theres not really a set number of volunteering hours that is considered "safe", but you may want to try to get into something that is meaningful to you so you have something to talk about in an interview should you be asked.

As for your stats, I don't think you're in bad shape. My GPA stats are almost identical to yours and I've landed some interviews, so I think you should be fine as well. Staying patient though is tough!

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind me asking, what is your state of residence and where did you get interviews from?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, what is your state of residence and where did you get interviews from?
I'm also from Texas, and I got interviews at Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Western. Haven't yet heard a peep from Houston or San Antonio, but a few others I've spoken with have said the same thing. I submitted in early July with a 3.4 overall GPA, 3.35 BCP, with a 25 AA and 24 TS on the DAT.

I know my GPA isn't sinking me, but isn't wowing anyone either. I'm hoping my DAT and my essay and LORs will get me over the top. We'll see what happens. Might be seeing you soon bud! Take care.

any updates from the texas schools for you yet? If not, it may be because of your low volunteering hours so I highly recommend you to find a field you resonate with! I applied this cycle and all my interviewers asked me about my volunteering experiences.

any updates from the texas schools for you yet? If not, it may be because of your low volunteering hours so I highly recommend you to find a field you resonate with! I applied this cycle and all my interviewers asked me about my volunteering experiences.
nothing yet and the oos schools are still in "received/ under review" status.

Sorry for coming in late. I will disagree in that there is an expectation for community service and volunteering, and 100 hours is generally considered satisfactory depending on the school. We do want students to be comfortable working with underserved patients because you'll be worrying with them throughout dental school. Knowing other issues that they face and resources they may need makes you more effective.

Sorry for coming in late. I will disagree in that there is an expectation for community service and volunteering, and 100 hours is generally considered satisfactory depending on the school. We do want students to be comfortable working with underserved patients because you'll be worrying with them throughout dental school. Knowing other issues that they face and resources they may need makes you more effective.
The OP's GPA and DAT score are also average. it looks like they would have applied last cycle though from the original post date

I think I have similar stats as you do besides the GPA. Please let me know if you have heard back from any schools!