WAMC? Much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Kube of Kubes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.43
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 22 PAT, 23 TS. 30 RC, 21 QR, 21 BIO, 25 GCHEM, 23 OCHEM
State of Residence: Idaho. My wife is a resident of California, I’m also a Southern California native and my immediate family live in Ohio currently.

Major: Biomedical science
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No, but first generation college grad
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 150, 3 GPs and 1 Oral Surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 200+ volunteer experiences that involve teaching English or translations from Spanish to English.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental society secretary, Shift manager for 1 year at place of employment, Manager of blood drive for I-serve
Relevant Honors or Awards: Eagle Scout,
Deans list

Misc Info: Bilingual in Spanish and english.

List of Schools:
UCLA
Penn
Columbia
Ohio State
UoPacific
UConn
UNLV
Oregon
UCSF
Utah

Do I have a shot at any of these?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.43
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 22 PAT, 23 TS. 30 RC, 21 QR, 21 BIO, 25 GCHEM, 23 OCHEM
State of Residence: Idaho. My wife is a resident of California, I’m also a Southern California native and my immediate family live in Ohio currently.

Major: Biomedical science
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No, but first generation college grad
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 150, 3 GPs and 1 Oral Surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 200+ volunteer experiences that involve teaching English or translations from Spanish to English.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental society secretary, Shift manager for 1 year at place of employment
Relevant Honors or Awards: Eagle scout

Misc Info: Bilingual in Spanish and english.

List of Schools:
UCLA
Penn
Columbia
Ohio State
UoPacific
Texas School (I graduated from a Texas high school, does this give me an advantage at all?)

Do I have a shot at any of these?
you have a shot, but it's not advisable to have the texas schools (take less than 5 OOS with high stats each year), and 4/5 other schools are amongst the top 10 most difficult schools to get into in the US...

Reactions: 1 user
you have a shot, but it's not advisable to have the texas schools (take less than 5 OOS with high stats each year), and 4/5 other schools are amongst the top 10 most difficult schools to get into in the US...
your DAT scores are really good, but your GPA is only in the average range (3.55)
you need to have a list of reach, in-range, and safety schools...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
your DAT scores are really good, but your GPA is only in the average range (3.55)
you need to have a list of reach, in-range, and safety schools...
I totally agree with you about the Texas schools and having a few safety schools. I have a few but will probably need to take another look at them. Thanks for the feedback.

Would all these be a reach or would any fall in the "in range" category? I just want to know if I should have any hope of being invited for an interview at any of these schools listed haha, but I do understand that my GPA is not the strongest.

Also, can someone help me understand this? This is from UPenn's website and I wanted to know if I'm dumb and just reading this wrong. I have a few dental school statistic excel sheets that say that the average science gpa for Penn is in the 3.6-3.69 range, which is throwing me off. I know I should trust their website for obvious reasons, so where are the people that made those spreadsheets getting 3.6-3.69?

Average GPA and DAT Scores for Admitted Students​

Admit RateScience
GPA
Non-Science
GPA
DAT
AA
DAT
PAT
DAT
Total Science
Penn Students
& Alumni
80%3.413.76242223
Applicants
Nationally*
54.5%3.453.55212020

Also, can someone help me understand this? This is from UPenn's website and I wanted to know if I'm dumb and just reading this wrong. I have a few dental school statistic excel sheets that say that the average science gpa for Penn is in the 3.6-3.69 range, which is throwing me off. I know I should trust their website for obvious reasons, so where are the people that made those spreadsheets getting 3.6-3.69?

Average GPA and DAT Scores for Admitted Students​

Admit RateScience
GPA
Non-Science
GPA
DAT
AA
DAT
PAT
DAT
Total Science
Penn Students
& Alumni
80%3.413.76242223
Applicants
Nationally*
54.5%3.453.55212020
This means two things:
(1) 80% of the dental school applicants from UPenn (UPenn undergraduate students) were accepted to at least one dental school in the 2017-2018 application cycle. Their average science GPA, non-science GPA, and DAT AA were 3.41, 3.76, and 24.
(2) 54.5% of all dental school applicants (nationally) were accepted to at least one dental school in the 2017-2018 application cycle. Their average science GPA, non-science GPA, and DAT AA were 3.45, 3.55, and 21.

These are not the statistics of the entering class for Penn Dental Medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
This means two things:
(1) 80% of the dental school applicants from UPenn (UPenn undergraduate students) were accepted to at least one dental school in the 2017-2018 application cycle. Their average science GPA, non-science GPA, and DAT AA were 3.41, 3.76, and 24.
(2) 54.5% of all dental school applicants (nationally) were accepted to at least one dental school in the 2017-2018 application cycle. Their average science GPA, non-science GPA, and DAT AA were 3.45, 3.55, and 21.

These are not the statistics of the entering class for Penn Dental Medicine.

That makes so much sense thank you.

Hey guys! I'm having trouble coming up with a list of schools to apply to. I've read over scumbag_steve's predental guide and I'm not sure where I fit in regard to how many schools I should apply too, or if I'm out of my mind applying to certain schools and need to look in another direction. I'd love everyones opinion and your help is really appreciated.I believe I have a few that are reach, in range and safety so lmk what you think. This is my list of schools that I have right now.
UCLA
UPenn
UConn
Columbia
UCSF
UoP
OHSU
Utah
UNLV
Ohio State

Is this a good amount of schools to have based on my grades (I know my science GPA is below average)? Are there any on here that are too out of reach that would be a waste of money applying too? Also, are there any other schools you all would recommend I add to my list?

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm having trouble coming up with a list of schools to apply to. I've read over scumbag_steve's predental guide and I'm not sure where I fit in regard to how many schools I should apply too, or if I'm out of my mind applying to certain schools and need to look in another direction. I'd love everyones opinion and your help is really appreciated.
My stats are 3.67 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA with a 24AA, 23 TS and a 22 PAT. This is my list of schools that I have right now.
UCLA
UPenn
UConn
Columbia
UCSF
UoP
OHSU
Utah
UNLV
Ohio State

Is this a good amount of schools to have based on my grades (I know my science GPA is below average)? Are there any on here that are too out of reach that would be a waste of money applying too? Also, are there any other schools you all would recommend I add to my list? I'm from Idaho and don't have a state school. Thanks guys!
once again, you need to have a list of reach, in-range, and safety schools

10 is not a bad number, but 5 of the first 6 schools you have listed are super competitive
and all five of the other schools on your list are publics...

Why not apply to Western or Loma Linda if you're applying to CA schools? Also why not just apply to Roseman as well if you're applying to Utah?

I would say you have a good shot at a lot of the schools, but especially UNLV, OHSU and UOP.

Why not apply to Western or Loma Linda if you're applying to CA schools? Also why not just apply to Roseman as well if you're applying to Utah?

I would say you have a good shot at a lot of the schools, but especially UNLV, OHSU and UOP.
Because those schools are all 500k.

I agree OP has a good shot at most schools.

Because those schools are all 500k.

I agree OP has a good shot at most schools.

Exactly. I know a Columbia and penn are no better, but I’m trying to keep the 500k/ high 400k schools to a low.

Which ones do you think are least likely? I know most are super competitive but are there any that are just very unlikely?

Thanks brotha, those 3 are kind of my in range schools, along with Ohio state bc that’s where my family is from.

Those schools are pretty pricey which is why I’m keeping them off for now.

Last edited:
Then is Roseman a possibility for the poster (going to a 3Y curriculum)? (I can't access DSE or other guides right now. )

You’re right they did just switch to a 3 year. Thanks I’ll add it! Any others you guys recommend I take off or add?