WAMC - Nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melad916afg

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 25, 2021
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score: 21 PAT, 18 QR, 20 RC, 30 Bio, 30 GC, 24 OC, 27 TS, 24 AA
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended:
Community College then transferred to University of California, Davis
Major: Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior
Minor: N/A
Minority? Yes - Afghan
Reapplicant? No
Non-traditional? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 hours General Dentistry, 150 hours OMS
Volunteering Experience: 180 Volunteer Hours - Hospital and Food Bank
Employment: 60 hours a week since 2015
Research: N/A - didn't have the chance to do so because CC doesn't offer and worked many hours a week
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc. - President of Chemistry Club, tutored students in chemistry, and member of pre-dental society
Relevant Honors or Awards: Summa Cum Laude from UC Davis - Top 1% of graduating class, Departmental Citation Award, Dean's Honors List for many quarters and semesters
LOR type and strength: General Dentist - Strong, Biochem Professor - Strong, Organic Chem Professor (from CC) - Strong, Genetics Professor - Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: First Generation Student, attended community college and did most of my prerequisites there besides Biochem and Biology, however, I excelled at my upper-division science courses after transferring
School list:

UCSF
UCLA
USC
UOP
Western
Harvard
Columbia
Penn
Maryland
Temple
Pitt
Marquette
NYU
Rutgers
UCONN
Buffalo

Should I add more schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No chance might need to look at other careers....

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Date of submission: June 25, 2021
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score: 21 PAT, 18 QR, 20 RC, 30 Bio, 30 GC, 24 OC, 27 TS, 24 AA
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended:
Community College then transferred to University of California, Davis
Major: Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior
Minor: N/A
Minority? Yes - Afghan
Reapplicant? No
Non-traditional? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 hours General Dentistry, 150 hours OMS
Volunteering Experience: 180 Volunteer Hours - Hospital and Food Bank
Employment: 60 hours a week since 2015
Research: N/A - didn't have the chance to do so because CC doesn't offer and worked many hours a week
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc. - President of Chemistry Club, tutored students in chemistry, and member of pre-dental society
Relevant Honors or Awards: Summa Cum Laude from UC Davis - Top 1% of graduating class, Departmental Citation Award, Dean's Honors List for many quarters and semesters
LOR type and strength: General Dentist - Strong, Biochem Professor - Strong, Organic Chem Professor (from CC) - Strong, Genetics Professor - Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: First Generation Student, attended community college and did most of my prerequisites there besides Biochem and Biology, however, I excelled at my upper-division science courses after transferring
School list:

UCSF
UCLA
USC
UOP
Western
Harvard
Columbia
Penn
Maryland
Temple
Pitt
Marquette
NYU
Rutgers
UCONN
Buffalo

Should I add more schools?
why are you nervous?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have really bad anxiety, it’s just something I’ve dealt with my whole life. Some people may joke in their replies, but I overthink stuff a lot.
Please seriously work on this before starting dental school.

patients can smell anxiety from a mile away and you can always do something just a bit better in dental procedures. You need to be confident when dealing with pts and know when to stop fiddling with your dentistry.

Please seriously work on this before starting dental school.

patients can smell anxiety from a mile away and you can always do something just a bit better in dental procedures. You need to be confident when dealing with pts and know when to stop fiddling with your dentistry.
Not anxiety in that way, more like I always think about my future haha

Have you done any networking at all? Worked at the state dental society meetings? Gone to any journal clubs run by your dentists whom you have shadowed? Why are you lacking s confidence? In general, people are afraid of dentists.

Have you done any networking at all? Worked at the state dental society meetings? Gone to any journal clubs run by your dentists whom you have shadowed? Why are you lacking s confidence? In general, people are afraid of dentists.
I went to CC and I don’t want schools to look at me differently because I attended those schools

I wonder if any of those would have a significant impact on your admissions to dental school. Honestly don’t know.

I dont really know anyone in my class that did anything like that. My personal opinion is ‘networking’ for dental school admissions is not a huge contributor factor to acceptance perhaps with the exception of alumni family members.

No I haven’t done something like those

I wonder if any of those would have a significant impact on your admissions to dental school. Honestly don’t know.

I dont really know anyone in my class that did anything like that. My personal opinion is ‘networking’ for dental school admissions is not a huge contributor factor to acceptance perhaps with the exception of alumni family members.
It makes a difference knowing that you are the type to be a lifelong learner and that a community of professionals considers you favorably. Many predental applicants i have reviewed who have volunteered at those conferences, and I do remember them when it comes to reviewing applications.

This was a serous post, I’m not sure if schools will look at me differently for taking classes at CC
You need to make sure all of the schools you’re applying accepts community college credits. It’s usually listed on their website, but if you can’t find an answer you should reach out to them directly.

I think you should take the expensive OOS schools off of your list. You have the stats to pick and choose where you want to go, so be picky.

You need to make sure all of the schools you’re applying accepts community college credits. It’s usually listed on their website, but if you can’t find an answer you should reach out to them directly.

I think you should take the expensive OOS schools off of your list. You have the stats to pick and choose where you want to go, so be picky.
I already went on ADEA Explorer and emailed ones that I was unsure about, the only one I shouldn't have applied to was NYU because they only accept half of my prereqs from CC.