WAMC? Non traditional but with some life experience and accomplishments.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanATC

Reaction score
When I was ten years old I had an extremely complicated, incredibly dangerous, and forever impactful surgical operation. It was an appendicitis. Okay, fine, it's probably the most routine surgical operation that exists in medicine. But as a very very sick ten year old, that was how I viewed it. A few years later I had a couple more operations for some various medical issues I faced. It was never anything groundbreaking, but the interactions I had with those doctors are ones I will carry with me until now, 23 years of age, where I decide I want to give back to others the way those doctors gave to me. They respected me like an adult when I was a kid, they talked to me straight forward with what was about to happen, they talked about the science and used big words while using gestures and elementary analogies to help me understand. I felt listened to, and I felt safe. I want to be that for others.

Well that's not exactly how things have gone. I've struggled with anxiety, and really didn't view myself as a capable person. I've gone through some life now and have a 180 degree flip on how I view myself and what I'm capable of. I think some of my accomplishments and professional history might help me, but my educational history is a bit of a stinker. I'd love some feedback on if I, realistically, have a shot at medical school admission without the Devine intervention of angels and the like. Here's the rundown:

When I finished high school, with mediocre grades, I didn't do anything but work for a year. I went to community college, and dropped out leaving behind a couple of F's and a D. I was completely unmotivated and confused. After that, at about 19 I moved to San Diego and attended a one year program for Audio Engineering. I had been a violinist for about 8 years and wanted to try at a career in music. I graduated with honors in the program and continued to work in music until 22 years old. I worked in a recording studio environment, and in live concerts and festivals. The career outlook was bleak, and I felt incredibly unchallenged intellectually. It's at this time I'm realizing I can do more. I left music and pursued another interest I had which is aviation. for the last year, I've worked in Oceanic Air Traffic Control and Communications. It was a long training process but I came out on top and work in it currently. At the same time I've been back in community college and scoring A's and B's, mostly just knocking out transfer req classes for a 4-year. I've gone through therapy through most of this time and have become much more confident and accepting that damnit I'm smart and I want to shoot for the top. Forever I've thought that I'd be a great physician, but pushed it away because of notions about myself. Well the time is now. My mother is an RN, and I used to volunteer at her workplace when I was in high school, so I'm familiar with the environment as well as with my own personal medical experiences.

Do I even have a shot? I have some bad grades from a CC on my transcript forever. I know from here on out I need to get mostly A's. I've taken some of the classes over again so the good grades reflect on my GPA, but the history will always be there. I know I have to get clinical volunteering in, shadowing, perfect grades, and letters of rec. I probably won't be getting any research in because I'll be transferring to a CSU, which doesn't have many opportunities for that. I'm hoping my professional work history will count as life experience, and perhaps help out a bit?

Members don't see this ad.

Only time will tell. You have a very long road ahead of you . Those Fs and Ds you got at CC will count in your GPA. Retakes of courses do not replace bad grades . So work hard and do the best you can. I think you should focus on your grades and when you are comfortable with school start expanding on your ECs. Don’t worry about no research opportunities. Spend some time reading the WAMC threads and see what current applicants have in the way of ECs so you’ll know what others are doing with their time. Good Luck.