WAMC NY ORM 515/3.63

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muzzybear

Reaction score
Preferences:
1. MD/PhD
2. DO/PhD
3. MD
4. DO

Major: Psychology

sGPA: 3.45
cGPA: 3.63
MCAT: 517

ORM (Chinese)

Research:
300 hrs socio-psychology research, 1 pub
100 hrs honors thesis research on eating disorders, 1 pub on the way

Jobs:
- 1040 hrs scribing for neurologist (private practice)
- 200 hrs as EKG tech & phlebotomist for internist (private practice)
- Mentor for commuter freshmen at my undergrad for 1 yr

Volunteer:
- 100 hrs volunteering for vascular surgeon (private practice)
- 150 hrs shadowing (idk if this counts as volunteer) vascular surgeon, neurologist, internist and family med (all private practice)

Nonclinical volunteer:
- 200 hrs, taught mental health to high school classes for a few months
- 300 hrs, tutor high schoolers for SHSAT

Red flags:
- Never worked in a hospital
- Got a C in Bio first semester
- Really bad GPA in freshman year (2.91), grandpa was really sick, was working a lot, took too many credits and didn't know how to handle my classes
- Got an F in a pre-calc college class when I was in high school after house burned down, wasn't able to study for the final (I tried appealing the score but never heard back)
- Withdrew from sociology college class in high school, never retook
- Withdrew from Chem II, retook and got an A

I have a lot of issues as you can see, but my GPA has been on an upward trend since. I really love research so much and I want to do an MD/PhD program, or DO/PhD. I'm trying to get in more research and I'm currently working on an honors thesis for psychology. Is this enough for a shot at MD/PhD, or am I shooting too high?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Preferences:
1. MD/PhD
2. DO/PhD
3. MD
4. DO

Major: Psychology

sGPA: 3.45
cGPA: 3.63
MCAT: 517

ORM (Chinese)

Research:
300 hrs socio-psychology research, 1 pub
100 hrs honors thesis research on eating disorders, 1 pub on the way

Jobs:
- 1040 hrs scribing for neurologist (private practice)
- 200 hrs as EKG tech & phlebotomist for internist (private practice)
- Mentor for commuter freshmen at my undergrad for 1 yr

Volunteer:
- 100 hrs volunteering for vascular surgeon (private practice)
- 150 hrs shadowing (idk if this counts as volunteer) vascular surgeon, neurologist, internist and family med (all private practice)
- Taught mental health to high school classes for a few months
- Tutor high schoolers for SHSAT, 3 yrs

Red flags:
- Never worked in a hospital
- Got a C in Bio first semester
- Really bad GPA in freshman year (2.91), grandpa was really sick, was working a lot, took too many credits and didn't know how to handle my classes
- Got an F in a pre-calc college class when I was in high school after house burned down, wasn't able to study for the final (I tried appealing the score but never heard back)
- Withdrew from sociology college class in high school, never retook
- Withdrew from Chem II, retook and got an A

I have a lot of issues as you can see, but my GPA has been on an upward trend since. I really love research so much and I want to do an MD/PhD program, or DO/PhD. I'm trying to get in more research and I'm currently working on an honors thesis for psychology. Is this enough for a shot at MD/PhD, or am I shooting too high?
Why not straight PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive MD interviews with your stats and I suggest these:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
A great thread on admissions standards for MD/PhD programs:

You're low on research hours and GPA for joint degree programs and low on nonclinical volunteering for straight MD or DO.

A great thread on admissions standards for MD/PhD programs:

You're low on research hours and GPA for joint degree programs and low on nonclinical volunteering for straight MD or DO.
Didn't he put 500 hours of non-clinical volunteering? Unless it doesn't count as volunteering but rather as just tutoring. I do agree with the research hours and GPA though for MD/PhD programs especially.

Didn't he put 500 hours of non-clinical volunteering? Unless it doesn't count as volunteering but rather as just tutoring. I do agree with the research hours and GPA though for MD/PhD programs especially.
Adcoms are looking for nonclinical volunteering with the disadvantaged/underserved. The bio doesn’t make clear whether that’s the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Adcoms are looking for nonclinical volunteering with the disadvantaged/underserved. The bio doesn’t make clear whether that’s the case.
Okay, that makes sense. If that’s the case then I think he would need volunteering hours for the underserved.