WAMC/School List - Texas - 3.95/515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

invincibleMD

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
STATS/DEMOGRAPHICS


cGPA: 3.95; sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 516
TX Resident
ORM - White
Comp Biology major at an average university in-state (Think like UTD, UTA, or UH) with CS and Stats Minor
One dropped course


CLINICAL


Scribe in a ER — 600 hours, paid
Community Blood Pressure Screenings for Homeless/Underserved Populations — 300 hours, volunteer


SHADOWING


Total: 75 hours
Internal Medicine — majority of hours
General Surgery — some exposure
Orthopedic Surgery — some exposure


RESEARCH


Total: 900 hours
Tech-Based Private Company Research — 600 hours
No publications, but likely one of the more unique experiences in my application and something I can discuss in depth


Traditional Lab Research — 300 hours
2 posters and 1 presentation


NON-CLINICAL VOLUNTEERING


Total: 300 hours
Teaching Kids in Underserved Communities — 150 hours
Tech-Based Nonprofit Volunteering — 150 hours
Helped nonprofits apply for grants and improve their operations


LEADERSHIP (Very weak 🙁 )


Smaller leadership roles in non-clinical volunteering clubs and Leadership/participation in a consulting club - around 150 hours


APPLICATION THEME / NARRATIVE


A large part of my application will focus on utilizing technology in medicine. My major, research, and nonprofit work are all tech-related, and I hope to connect these experiences to my interest in computational biology, healthcare innovation, and improving access to care.


QUESTIONS


Thinking about applying to all Texas schools, but I wanted to know my chances in-state and whether I should take a gap year.


Are there any out-of-state schools I should add?
 
Welcome to the forums.

Your metrics should get you some looks in-state, but you are lacking in service orientation activities that address social needs issues among populations with limited means or access. I tip my hat for BP screenings for the homeless, but have you helped secure housing, food, and clothing for them? Has your involvement inspired you to take courses to learn more about our housing affordability crisis? Every prehealth student does teaching, so it won't help you stand out. Helping smaller tech start-ups get grant funding is a great skill; can you do the same to help non-profits get funds for their community health projects that don't involve physicians? (One local group here helps community-based organizations secure grants to address lead exposure in underresourced communities.)

Proprietary research can be problematic if you aren't able to discuss your work due to confidentiality. I lean towards academic-based research because med school research mostly is academic-based. Your research faculty on admissions committees mostly are academic-based researchers; maybe a few of them are familiar with the challenges of the research you did.

I'm guessing you are shooting for Dell and other med schools that say they are tech-forward (TxA&M EnMed). You should also consider similar schools (Carle Illinois, Arizona State).
 
Welcome to the forums.

Your metrics should get you some looks in-state, but you are lacking in service orientation activities that address social needs issues among populations with limited means or access. I tip my hat for BP screenings for the homeless, but have you helped secure housing, food, and clothing for them? Has your involvement inspired you to take courses to learn more about our housing affordability crisis? Every prehealth student does teaching, so it won't help you stand out. Helping smaller tech start-ups get grant funding is a great skill; can you do the same to help non-profits get funds for their community health projects that don't involve physicians? (One local group here helps community-based organizations secure grants to address lead exposure in underresourced communities.)

Proprietary research can be problematic if you aren't able to discuss your work due to confidentiality. I lean towards academic-based research because med school research mostly is academic-based. Your research faculty on admissions committees mostly are academic-based researchers; maybe a few of them are familiar with the challenges of the research you did.

I'm guessing you are shooting for Dell and other med schools that say they are tech-forward (TxA&M EnMed). You should also consider similar schools (Carle Illinois, Arizona State).
Thank you so much for the response. Sorry if I didn’t make it clear, but I was mainly helping nonprofits that work with veterans apply for grants.

However, I understand that my volunteering experience is still very weak, sadly. Would you recommend applying this upcoming cycle while continuing to do more traditional volunteering this summer, such as at food banks, to strengthen that part of my application a little?