WAMC, ORM, 3.8(sgpa: 3.587)/510, School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peatal

Reaction score
I would appreciate any and all advice, the more realistic the better, especially on the school list. Not applying DO because I don't have any LoR from doctors.
  1. cGPA: 3.81and sGPA of 3.587 (non-STEM major, lowest science grade is a B in calc 3, without the B, sGPA 3.64)
  2. MCAT: 510, 78th percentile (128/127/127/128)
  3. Ohio Resident
  4. Indian (born here)
  5. Ohio State UG - Business Major
  6. Clinical Experience: 1200+ as a PCA/Client Advocate (lead of PCA team)
  7. Clinical Volunteering: 300+ hours, all in the preop/postop area of a hospital, actually helping patients get ready and recover from procedures
  8. Student Research Assistant: Clinical research with genetic heart disease for about 1 year, (800 hours)
    1. I will be promoted to clinical research assistant after graduation in May 2022, will be doing that throughout my gap year full time (roughly 1700 hours)
  9. Also have a paper + presentation (not published) in a program I did, not related to my clinical research at all, an entirely separate program altogether
  10. Shadowing: 100 hours in person, 75 virtual
  11. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. 300+ volunteer youth coach
    2. 200 in a club to make kits for the homeless
    3. 40 in a club to make a premed booklet
  12. Private Tutor: 545 hours total (no longer doing)
  13. Other extracurricular activities: treasurer for 2 clubs, shadowing/meeting experiences with hospital executives, 200+ hours of specific cooking niche

School List:

OSU
UCinci
Wright State
Toledo
Northeast Ohio
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Netter SoM at Quinnipiac
GWU
Lewis Katz
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Larner CoM at Vermont
Rush
Tufts
Tulane
Virginia Tech
Eastern Virginia
New York Medical College
NOVA Southeastern
Oakland
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
WVU
Miami Leonard

Members don't see this ad.

What did the volunteer youth coach entail? Who were you coaching? Depending on that, it might be wise to have more face-to-face service to those less fortunate. You were in a club helping the homeless. Perhaps try to volunteer at the homeless shelter or women’s shelter in your area as an extension of that.

Ohio Heritage does not require a physician LOR, that may be worth applying to still. Remove Meharry, Rush, and Miami. Add Hackensack and TCU. Chances best at your state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Note: Rush and TCU are some of the few schools that require Anatomy & physiology as a prerequisite before matriculation.
If you plan to apply to these schools. and haven't already taken this course, you should do so over the next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Meharry as they admit mainly applicants who are African American. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Hackensack

I see tasks but not a story on why medicine that is obvious. You did withhold any mention of specialties so I don't know what insight you have that gives me a sense of mission fit. You vaguely mention underserved communities but any activities in rural settings?