MD WAMC (ORM/3.98/521 and CA Resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1092154

Hi everyone,

Thank you for checking out this post! This is my first time posting here and I appreciate your time very much. My main question is if my school list is appropriate and if I am a viable candidate for MSTP programs despite not having a publication.

• State/Country of Residence: California
  • Ties to other States/Regions: No
  • Ethncity? (Y/N): South Asian
  • Year in School: Graduated in 2020. Currently taking a gap year to focus on gaining confidence in research!
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Molecular, Cell Developmental Biology
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable):
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.98
  • Science GPA: 3.98
  • MCAT Score(s): 521 (130/129/131/131)
  • Research Experience: 3 years of research. One year of working as a lab technician. No publications.
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): 2 posters and no publications
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
4 years of working and eventually leading an STI clinic and doing contraceptive education/sexual health counseling
2 years of Volunteering in an ER (not the most significant experience)

• Physician Shadowing:
100 hours of shadowing (Internal medicine, ER, pediatrics and neurology etc). Got it setup to have a smattering of the specialities
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
Organizing basic needs and resource fairs for people experiencing homelessness (3 years)
Served on committee to advocate for queer and trans students needs for the university I attended (1 year)

• Other Extracurricular Activities:
Undergrad TA for upper division biology courses (2 years)
  • Other Employment History:
TA-ship and research technician roles
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Primary care, public health and preventative medicine, Ophthalmology
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Yes
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): No
  • Medical School List:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Stanford
University of Vermont
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
Wayne State
Dartmouth
Yale
John's Hopkins
University of Pittsburgh
Drexel University
University of Indiana
University of Pennsylvania
University of Michigan
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
University of Southern California
Boston University
Harvard University
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University if Wisconsin
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
University of Washington (HOPE TO APPLY TO MD/PhD)
University of Oregon (OHSU) (HOPE TO APPLY TO MD/PhD here and MD/MPH)
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Columbia University
Cornell University
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Northwestern

THANK YOU ALL! Please let me know if my school list is top heavy! This community is awesome for a first-gen student here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a top tier application, so you're okay to apply top heavy, but have some mid tiers interspersed there too seeing as you're from Ca. Remove Rutgers - low yield.

Add some from: Rochester, Emory, Tufts, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Einstein, Hofstra, Jefferson, Miami.

Make sure to check the OOS percentages for Maryland, Arizona, Illinois and the other state schools you want to apply too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hooray! Thank you so much! I will revise my school list and begin the process now. I appreciate your help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why Drexel? I need few more top tier schools like WashU and Vandy. You can also try Kaiser and NYU for free tuition chance.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll apply to those schools you just recommended. I was hesitant about the other ones (NYU, Vandy) because they seem to be a bit of a gamble regarding stats but I think I'll shoot my shot. Thank you! I initially had Drexel because it would be a nice target/safety school with respect to my stats.