1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

WAMC: Please help me!!!! Chances in PhD!!

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by gabbbby16, Aug 6, 2015.

1. gabbbby16

Hey all, so I have a few questions about admission into clinical psychology PhD programs (hopefully with a specialty in pediatric neuropsych) and PhD programs in Neuroscience! I am very interested in both and was wondering what my chances are on admission. I am a good test taker and will probably get a good/very good grade on the GREs, I am a certified Peer Health Educator at my school (which is a top tier university) where I travel and go to conferences speaking in front of hundreds of other schools. I also am running a social psychology independent research study, I have experience in an emotion and cognition research lab and will have experience in a top neurology lab at a medical school prior to graduating as well. I had an internship at my schools counseling center and am a volunteer (almost similar to a dr shadow) in the Neurology department Boston Children's Hospital (the premier teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School). During my volunteer hours, I work with patients between the ages 3-7 one on one at bedside as well as observe Drs throughout the department. I have other volunteer experience involving children as well. My references and I have a strong relationship and are well respected professionals from top universities such as Oxford University and Harvard Medical School. I currently have a 3.2 (I know, it's really bad), but I am planning on retaking a course that would automatically boost that to a 3.3. My GPA (although appearing lower) has always been consistent in the sense that it is always above a 3.0. If I get all A's this next year and boost my GPA to above a 3.6, as well as have research experience as an assistant in a full time lab prior to applying the winter after graduation, would I have a strong chance of getting accepted? I can't picture myself in any other field and I truly adore clinical pediatric neuropsych/neuroscience.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    May get a better response in the WAMC thread up top.

4. gabbbby16

Thank you! I am doing this from my phone and have never used this website before, how do I add it into the WAMC thread?

5. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Just respond to the sticky WAMC thread with the exact same message text. It's there to keep the main section from getting clogged with WAMC type posts as they come up every other day or so.