MD & DO WAMC? Re-applicant cGPA 3.90, imbalanced 509 MCAT, MPH holder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenaciousbarnacle

Reaction score
Hey guys! Looking for some input regarding my odds at MD programs, my existing school list, and any additional schools you fine folks may recommend for someone in my position.
  1. cGPA and sGPA - cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.91
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown - 509 (132/124/127/126)
  3. TX resident
  4. Asian/ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Reputable state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 210 hours of clinical volunteering
  7. Research experience and productivity: 800 hours of research with honors thesis, middle author publication, and local research presentation
  8. Shadowing experience: ~140 hours total in ophthalmology and ER
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~170 hours across various positions
  10. Other activities and extras: I am a re-applicant from a previous cycle and am currently finishing an MPH. I have been a public health intern for the government for a few months and will be starting a full-time position this summer.
Below is my current school list. I would appreciate any input and suggestions you may have!
State schools:
1) McGovern Medical School
2) UTMB
3) Long School of Medicine
4) Texas Tech - Lubbock
5) Texas Tech - El Paso
6) UT Southwestern
7) Dell
8) University of Houston
9) TCU/UNT
10) UT RGV
11) Texas A&M
12) TCOM
13) SHSCOM

OOS:
14) Marshall University School of Medicine
15) North Dakota
16) South Dakota
17) University of Minnesota (Duluth)
18) Northeast Ohio University
19) South Carolina
20) South Carolina - Greenville
21) University of Arizona
22) University of Arizona - Tuscon
23) Wayne State
24) East Carolina (Brody, Greenville, NC)

Thanks for your thoughts and school list advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You have too many OOS schools that have strong IS biases.

Reactions: 1 user
East Carolina accepted zero non residents last year. Your OOS schools are mainly state public schools that prefer their own residents. Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive interviews. If you want to try AMCAS MD schools I suggest these:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you previously apply? Any interviews? If so, what were the results- outright R or WL? Are you currently on a WL? What have you done to significantly improve your last application?

You have too many OOS schools that have strong IS biases.
East Carolina accepted zero non residents last year. Your OOS schools are mainly state public schools that prefer their own residents. Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive interviews. If you want to try AMCAS MD schools I suggest these:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Tulane

Thanks for your input! I'll replace some of the state schools with some these suggestions. I considered Tulane, but I noticed that they receive a lot of applications, so for my knowledge, how does that factor in to the calculus? Also, would it be better to lean more heavily on private schools generally since they may not be as restrictive on OOS applicants?

Where did you apply before? Why not DO? Beggars can't be choosers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Where did you previously apply? Any interviews? If so, what were the results- outright R or WL? Are you currently on a WL? What have you done to significantly improve your last application?

Previously, I applied to most of the TX schools and a couple OOS reach schools. I did not receive any interviews, so I realize that was a mistake now, which is why I'm seeking you guys' input on my school list! Since my last app, I have been completing my MPH (grad GPA 4.00) and am working in a public health capacity for my local government.

As far as DO, I just did not have time to fill out AACOMAS, and I believe most DO schools require a rec letter from a DO (right?), which I do not have. Given my situation, what are my chances at an MD program or a DO program that doesn't need a DO letter?

Most OOS MD schools tend to avoid interviewing Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Tulane accepts some Texans and some of the newer schools do (the ones I listed). If you are a former resident of another state or attended undergraduate school in another state or have very high stats you could be interviewed.

As far as DO, I just did not have time to fill out AACOMAS, and I believe most DO schools require a rec letter from a DO (right?), which I do not have. Given my situation, what are my chances at an MD program or a DO program that doesn't need a DO letter?
Your MPH GPA isn't going to carry as much weight as a rigorous biomedical sciences special master's program.

DO letters are not required at all DO schools. You'll need to look up which schools do.

Most OOS MD schools tend to avoid interviewing Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Tulane accepts some Texans and some of the newer schools do (the ones I listed). If you are a former resident of another state or attended undergraduate school in another state or have very high stats you could be interviewed.
Your MPH GPA isn't going to carry as much weight as a rigorous biomedical sciences special master's program.

DO letters are not required at all DO schools. You'll need to look up which schools do.

Thank you for the helpful information. While my undergrad was in TX, my MPH will actually be from a school from a NY school. Do you think that helps my case for NY target schools (maybe Albany, for instance)?

Also, with your input and some more digging, I have revised my OOS school list:

14) NOVA MD
15) Quinnipiac
16) Seton Hall
17) Penn State (they seem to be more friendly to OOS applicants)
18) Wright State Boonshoft SOM
19) Miami-Miller
20) South Carolina - Greenville
21) Oakland Beaumont
22) University of Arizona - Tucson
23) Wayne State
24) Tulane

Is this a more appropriate list? Also, does a faculty member from one of my graduate public health courses count as a science faculty letter?

I appreciate your support!

As I mentioned before OOS public state schools ( Wright State, South Carolina, Arizona, Wayne State on your new list) accept very few Texans. Doing a MPH in New York may help you at Albany or New York Medical College if you can persuade them that you want to relocate to NY.