MD WAMC+ school list help (Re-applicant Canadian with PhD, 3.57 undergrad cGPA, 512 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffee111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate any help on this since I find myself in a bit of a grey area in terms of having a graduate degree with a low undergrad GPA.
  1. Canadian (ORM) with a PhD applying to US schools. Reapplicant, but my previous application didn't include the PhD. My previous app yielded nothing except a waitlist for an interview at WVU (ended up not getting the interview). Applied very broadly last time around.
  2. cGPA 3.57 (undergrad grades only)
  3. sGPA 3.45 (undergrad grades only)
  4. MCAT 512 (129/129/129/125)
  5. Graduate GPA 3.9 (but only 3 courses, all 3 are science)
  6. 3 first-author publications, 2 co-author publications (will likely have 1-2 more by the time next year's applications are looked at by schools)
  7. Multiple posters/presentations at national and international conferences
  8. 7000+ hours of research
  9. 200 hours of volunteer community service
  10. 100 hours of clinical volunteering
  11. 100 hours of physician shadowing
  12. 280 hours of other activities (140 teaching as a TA, 140 in university clubs as an executive)
  13. Multiple grants and awards
Basically, my GPA is low enough that I have very low chances with Canadian schools even with the PhD. Just wondering if I have a better chance with some US schools or if I should do anything to boost my chances. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you earn your Ph.D.? Are you doing a postdoc in the US? Did you apply to DO programs?
PhD was earned this year (in Canada), and no postdoc in the US. I didn't apply to any DO programs last time around. Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply previously ?
I applied very broadly, pretty much everywhere that took more than a couple Canadians the year prior according to the MSAR, even some reach and low-yield schools:
Georgetown, Case Western, Virginia Commonwealth, Boston, Dartmouth, St. Louis, Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, Wayne, West Virginia University, George Washington, UCLA, Central Michigan, Michigan State, Colorado University, University of Maryland, Tulane, Jefferson, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Illinois, Emory, and NYMC

I suggest applying to DO schools that accept applications from Canadians and include these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
LUCOM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UNECOM
WCU-COM
Touro-NY
WESTERN
Some of the new schools may also accept applications from Canadians and you should check with each school.

I suggest applying to DO schools that accept applications from Canadians and include these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
LUCOM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UNECOM
WCU-COM
Touro-NY
WESTERN
Some of the new schools may also accept applications from Canadians and you should check with each school.
Thank you! Do you (or anyone else who may offer their thoughts) think MD is a possibility at all? I know the two share scopes of practice, just trying to get a better understanding of what my options are moving forward.

You already had an unsuccessful MD cycle and MD schools expect much higher stats from international applicants. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that applicants with your stats(almost all who are US citizens) have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. It would be much lower for international applicants.

Reactions: 1 user