WAMC/School List: 3.6/521

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Light-Gas

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

GPA: 3.6c / 3.5s
Major: Biochemistry, B.S.
MCAT: 521 (130/129/130/132)
State of Residence: AR
Ethnicity: White male
Undergraduate Institution: State university, graduated in 2018
Clinical Volunteering:
  • 50h taking vitals at the VA, direct 1-1 patient contact
  • 150h in a waiting room at a local hospital. Checked patients in, and provided updates to families while they were in surgery/recovery. Will continue this throughout the process, so hours when applying may be higher
Shadowing:
  • 30h primary care,
  • 10 h surgery
  • Actively trying to get more hours before applying, already talked with my local hospital
Research:
  • Two years
  • Lab safety manager for a month (basically checking waste containers/eye wash stations, making sure stuff was stored properly before closing up, etc.)
  • Completed an undergraduate thesis
  • Two departmental poster presentations
  • Awarded an undergraduate research grant my senior year
  • No publications
Non-clinical volunteering: My weakest section. Hoping to get ~100 hours by the time I apply, at a food bank that I used to do food drives with.
Extracurriculars: A few chemistry-related clubs, ~70h
Awards/Honors:
  • Lots of scholarships
  • Dean's List my senior year
  • Undergraduate research grant my senior year
  • Cum Laude
  • Eagle Scout (completed my project in high school, so I don't know if it's fair game to write about)

I'm having a lot of trouble settling on a school list, mostly because my GPA is hovering around the 10th or 25th percentile for many schools. Any advice on where to go from here?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

GPA: 3.6c / 3.5s
Major: Biochemistry, B.S.
MCAT: 521 (130/129/130/132)
State of Residence: Rather not specify, southern US, rural area
Ethnicity: White male
Undergraduate Institution: State university, graduated in 2018
Clinical Volunteering:
  • 50h taking vitals at the VA, direct 1-1 patient contact
  • 150h in a waiting room at a local hospital. Checked patients in, and provided updates to families while they were in surgery/recovery. Will continue this throughout the process, so hours when applying may be higher
Shadowing:
  • 30h primary care,
  • 10 h surgery
  • Actively trying to get more hours before applying, already talked with my local hospital
Research:
  • Two years
  • Lab safety manager for a month (basically checking waste containers/eye wash stations, making sure stuff was stored properly before closing up, etc.)
  • Completed an undergraduate thesis
  • Two departmental poster presentations
  • Awarded an undergraduate research grant my senior year
  • No publications
Non-clinical volunteering: My weakest section. Hoping to get ~100 hours by the time I apply, at a food bank that I used to do food drives with.
Extracurriculars: A few chemistry-related clubs, ~70h
Awards/Honors:
  • Lots of scholarships
  • Dean's List my senior year
  • Undergraduate research grant my senior year
  • Cum Laude
  • Eagle Scout (completed my project in high school, so I don't know if it's fair game to write about)

I'm having a lot of trouble settling on a school list, mostly because my GPA is hovering around the 10th or 25th percentile for many schools. Any advice on where to go from here?
Thanks in advance.
Obviously you're going to hamstring us by not listing your state residency. If you want more concrete advice, I recommend the Confidential Consultation if you are concerned about your identity. As it stands I don't have really a lot that we can go on with regards to what schools could be good matches for you.

Specifically, you probably already know you are lacking in physician shadowing and even some clinical exposure (not a lot of experience "under pressure"). Awards/honors and research don't stand out, and extracurriculars and community service are not abundant. Who's writing your letters? Do you have a prehealth committee letter or an advisor? Where have you visited or connected with students or admissions staff at the schools you have most interest in?

Obviously you're going to hamstring us by not listing your state residency. If you want more concrete advice, I recommend the Confidential Consultation if you are concerned about your identity. As it stands I don't have really a lot that we can go on with regards to what schools could be good matches for you.

Specifically, you probably already know you are lacking in physician shadowing and even some clinical exposure (not a lot of experience "under pressure"). Awards/honors and research don't stand out, and extracurriculars and community service are not abundant. Who's writing your letters? Do you have a prehealth committee letter or an advisor? Where have you visited or connected with students or admissions staff at the schools you have most interest in?

I will update the OP, state residency is AR. I have individual letters from the professor I did research with, a non-science professor, and a volunteer coordinator. My school (UoA) does have a committee letter, which I plan to apply for. I know a few students at UAMS, and have family living in the area, but other than that I have not visited or connected with any other medical schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering is very weak; you might consider taking another year to build those. As it is it's cookie-cutter at best.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arkansas
Washington University
USF Morsani
Western Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Your EC's are your main weakness but some schools will be attracted to your MCAT of 521.

Reactions: 1 user