MD & DO WAMC + School List Help - TX ORM, Low Mcat, High Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Schaffhausen

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cGPA: 3.79

MCAT: 507 (125/126/127/129)
Preview & CASPER: TBD (schedule for June & May)

State of Residence: TX
Ethnicity: ORM, South Asian, One parent in medical field (not physician)

Undergrad Institution: TX State School
Major: Public Health

Gap Years: 0

Clinical experience: ~2,500 hours
  • Event Medicine EMT, ~1,680 hours. Concerts, festivals, marathons, sporting events. BLS care, assisting nurses with ALS. (varied from 8-36 hrs / week)
  • Patient Care Tech on a cardiac step-down unit, ~300 hours. Vitals, ADLs, IV starts/removals, supported heart failure and LVAD patients.
  • Junior Firefighter, ~288 hours in college (continued from high school). Engine ride-alongs, structure fires, basic medical calls.
  • Street medic with a mutual aid nonprofit, ~288 hours. Free first aid and harm reduction at protests, disaster zones, and community outreach.

Research experience: ~4 projects, ~600 hours, 2 posters
  • Public health research project on EMS reliance. Poster at a state conference.
  • Project on equity gaps in pre-health shadowing access. Poster at a school showcase.
  • Research Lead on a mixed-methods evaluation of EMS-run community clinics. Poster at a school showcase.
  • Health-tech accelerator project, secured a small seed grant.

Shadowing: 72 hours — Pediatrics (20), Internal Medicine (20), EM (32).

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Weekly cognitive exercise volunteer with patients in nursing homes (~4 hrs/week, ongoing since freshman fall).
  • Red Cross disaster response caseworker, ~324 hours (ongoing, ~12 hrs/month). Work with families displaced by home fires and natural disasters.

Leadership: Two e-board roles in pre-health nonprofits, plus research lead role (described above).

School List:
Baylor
UTSW
Long
Dell
Mcgovern
UTMB
A&M
Tech (Lubbock)
Tech (El Paso)
UTRGV
UH
TCU
Drexel
Temple
Tulane
Rush
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Penn State
MCW
Albany
Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
Wake Forest
Hackensack
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Tech
Loyola Stritch
Creighton
Saint Louis
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Nova MD
Cinicinnati
Iowa
Emory
Tufts
CUSM
Central Michigan
NYMC
Rutgers RWJ
Colorado
UT Tyler
Geisinger
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth

Notes: Submitting first day AMCAS opens, will look to do MD-only unless by August no luck getting interviews then will add DO schools. Willing to apply as broad as possible, rough ties to the east coast as have a lot of family in NH, MA, and MD and was born in NH. I have a lot of EM-focus/interest and am really passionate about community care so looking to add schools that focus on that or remove schools that are research focused that I have no chance at w/ my MCAT. Narrative is highly focused on my time transitioning from a junior firefighter to emt / community care and experiences I've accumulated throughout.

Thank you!
 
OOS MD schools interview few Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school.
You could try these AMCAS schools:
TCU
Tulane
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Roseman
 
Willing to apply as broad as possible, rough ties to the east coast as have a lot of family in NH, MA, and MD and was born in NH.

How many schools is this? 50??? That's way too many.

Among your Texas schools, your chances of getting into regional-focused schools like RGV and Tyler are much smaller since you didn't grow up in those regions.

Did you look at where your 507 lands on the schools' MCAT stats from their last entering classes?

I also don't think you have a lot of service orientation activities (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation), but perhaps your Red Cross works just needs a better description. With 300 hours, that's still too few hours for many service-oriented programs like Rush and the Jesuit schools you have listed. I may give you some credit as a first responder (firefighter service) as long as you separate the hours you gained while in high school.
 
How many schools is this? 50??? That's way too many.

Among your Texas schools, your chances of getting into regional-focused schools like RGV and Tyler are much smaller since you didn't grow up in those regions.

Did you look at where your 507 lands on the schools' MCAT stats from their last entering classes?

I also don't think you have a lot of service orientation activities (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation), but perhaps your Red Cross works just needs a better description. With 300 hours, that's still too few hours for many service-oriented programs like Rush and the Jesuit schools you have listed. I may give you some credit as a first responder (firefighter service) as long as you separate the hours you gained while in high school.
Thank you, yes definitely looking to cut it down! I'd rather cast a wider net than reapply, and I've been prewriting secondaries for a while now to make it so I can turnaround schools as fast as possible.

For most of the OOS schools the 507 is around their 10-25th percentile, that's why I felt like I'd need to cast a wider net. Both Tyler & RGV, I applied to only because the TMDSAS portal has one cost to submit to all.

Two of my research projects were service-orientated (community run clinics & ems reliance) and the hours for junior firefighting don't include my high school hours. I was also a pt navigator at a free clinic which I had originally not planned on putting in for space but I can switch with something else.

Thank you again for your quick response!