This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakedbread000

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I just received my MCAT score and I'm bumping this post up to see if I should still delay my application or apply this cycle.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.63

Undergrad cGPA: 3.44
Undergrad sGPA: 3.47
Post-Bacc GPA: 4.00

No upwards or downward trends for undergraduate GPA.

Bit of Background about this:

I was a Statistics major in college back between 2016-2020 and I had taken pre-med courses in college not because I was looking into going to medical school, but to explore my options in choosing a minor. I got through 2 semesters of Gen Chemistry (with labs taken), 2 semester of Gen Physics (Online and without a lab component), and two semester of Biology (with labs taken).

My grades for the classes were as follows:

Gen Bio 1 + Lab: C+ in lecture course, B+ in lab course
Gen Bio 2 + Lab: Took lecture course for P/F before 2020, B- in lab course
Gen Chem 1 + Lab: A- in lecture course, B+ in lab course
Gen Chem 2 + Lab: A in lecture course, B+ in lab course
Gen Phy 1: A in an online course with no lab before 2020
Gen Phy 2: A in an online course with no lab before 2020

I was enrolled in a post-bacc program right now that suggested I retake Gen Bio 1, Gen Bio 2, Gen Phy 1, and Gen phy 2. I needed to retake the entire physics sequence as the course I took was online, done before 2020, and didn't have a lab component. I've taken all of those courses as well as Orgo 1 and 2 (both w/ a lab component) as well as Biochem, Cell Bio, and Sociology in the program. My grades in those classes are as follows:

Gen Bio 1 + Lab: A
Gen Bio 2 + Lab: A
Orgo 1 + Lab: A in both lecture and lab courses
Orgo 2 + Lab: A in both lecture and lab courses
Soc: A
Biochem: A
Gen Phy 1 + Lab: A
Cell Bio w/ Lab: A

I took a total for 37 credits in the program.

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
I received a 507

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
NY

Ethnicity and/or race
ORM

Undergraduate institution or category
State School

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
I have accumulated around 2000+ hours of clinical experience during my 4-year stretch gap year. I am currently working for an ophthalmologist (since May of 2023).

Research experience and productivity
400-ish hours of research experience from my undergraduate institution and 200-ish hours of research experience from my post-bacc institution. I was able to present at a conference with my post-bacc research.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
FM in-person shadowing: 40 hours
Allergist in-person shadowing: 40 hours
Ophthalmologist in-person shadowing: 16 hours
Pediatrician in-person shadowing: 16 hours

Non-clinical volunteering
I have around ~400 hours of non-clinical volunteering experience starting from when I was still in my undergraduate days.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
President of Science-related club in post-bacc institution. I was Secretary previously and had been a part of the club for 2 years. I was also working as a medical office manager (non-medical related) for a relative from 2020 up until 2023.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

School list currently:

1. NYITCOM
2. TouroCOM-NY
3. UNECOM
4. CCOM
5. LECOM
6. UP-KYCOM
7. WCU-COM
8. AZCOM
9. ACOM
10. CUSOM
11. WVSOM
12. PCOM
13. DMUCOM
14. ATKCOM
15. BCOM
16. KCUCOM
17. NoordaCOM
18. SUNY Upstate
19. SUNY Downstate
20. SUNY Jacobs
21. Wayne State
22. GWU
23. NYMC
24. Temple
25. Drexel
26. Quinnipiac
27. EVMS
28. Georgetown
29. Albany

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We need more information to give you advice for an MD application.
This format would be most helpful!: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
An MCAT score would also help you decide: https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success, though.
Your state of residence will also help determine stats c/w admission: https://www.aamc.org/media/6076/download

The advice for DO will differ a bit.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

I was a Statistics major in college back between 2016-2020 and I had taken pre-med courses in college not because I was looking into going to medical school, but to explore my options in choosing a minor. I got through 2 semesters of Gen Chemistry (with labs taken), 2 semester of Gen Physics (Online and without a lab component), and two semester of Biology (with labs taken).

I'm enrolled in a post-bacc program right now that suggested I retake Gen Bio 1, Gen Bio 2, Gen Phy 1, and Gen phy 2. I needed to retake the entire physics sequence as the course I took was online, done before 2020, and didn't have a lab component. I've taken all of those courses as well as Orgo 1 and 2 (both w/ a lab component) as well as Biochem and Sociology in the program. My grades in those classes are as follows:

This amounts to 29 post-bacc credits. I'm currently in Phy 2 and that will bump the total up to 33 credits altogether.

I received a 507

NY

Ethnicity and/or race
ORM

State School

I have around 2000+ hours of clinical experience

400-ish hours of research experience from my undergraduate institution and 200-ish hours of research experience from my post-bacc institution. I was able to present at a conference with my post-bacc research.

I have around ~400 hours of non-clinical volunteering experience starting from when I was still in my undergraduate days.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
President of Science-related club in post-bacc institution. I was Secretary previously and had been a part of the club for 2 years.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I graduated in 2020, became disillusioned with my major and the career route I wanted to take and I've been working as a medical office manager for a relative as well as volunteering (and shadowing) in different medical offices for the past 2 years while taking these courses (between 2021 to 2023).

I'm enrolled in Gen Phy 2. I've also been studying for the MCAT that I will be taking in May of this year. My question is should I delay my application to take more upper-division classes? Is what I've done enough and should I focus solely on getting through my last prereq class and MCAT studying? My original plan was to take the MCAT and then get some more clinical experience and more non-clinical volunteer experience for a year and apply for the next cycle.

I'm in a bit of bind because I haven't seen situations similar to mine when I've browsed through the site. I was planning to apply this cycle or delay it just to solely focus on having some more and different types of clinical and volunteering experience but now I'm not so sure. I made this post before was told to post this here.

@Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @gyngyn Hope I provided enough info! Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We need more information to give you advice for an MD application.
This format would be most helpful!: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
An MCAT score would also help you decide: https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success, though.
Your state of residence will also help determine stats c/w admission: https://www.aamc.org/media/6076/download

The advice for DO will differ a bit.

Just made a WAMC post!

Just made a WAMC post!
I merged your threads to consolidate the information.

What do you do as the medical office manager? If it is not involved face-to-face with patients, I wouldn’t count it as clinical experience.

What is your non-clinical volunteering in?

The MCAT score will be important.

Reactions: 1 users
I merged your threads to consolidate the information.

What do you do as the medical office manager? If it is not involved face-to-face with patients, I wouldn’t count it as clinical experience.

What is your non-clinical volunteering in?

The MCAT score will be important.

I handle billing and secretarial work mostly. I do face patients but it's more translation work, helping them fill out forms, etc. It isn't clinical experience.

As for clinical experience I volunteer at the offices of an FM DO and one for an Allergist MD. The allergist is training me as a Medical Assistant. I stopped at the DO recently since my classes, schedule, and commute logistics wouldn't work with his office schedule.

I handle billing and secretarial work mostly. I do face patients but it's more translation work, helping them fill out forms, etc. It isn't clinical experience.

As for clinical experience I volunteer at the offices of an FM DO and one for an Allergist MD. The allergist is training me as a Medical Assistant. I stopped at the DO recently since my classes, schedule, and commute logistics wouldn't work with his office schedule.
Becoming an MA at the allergist’s office would be good.

The 503-505 would be fine for DO schools. Your GPA would also be competitive for them.

Successful NY MD applicants had a s3.67 and 3.73 total gpa as well as a 514 MCAT.
Depending on the number of post bac hours with A's and your MCAT, a DO application seems advisable.
Hopefully you left the DO's office on good terms. A DO letter will help.

Becoming an MA at the allergist’s office would be good.

The 503-505 would be fine for DO schools. Your GPA would also be competitive for them.
One more thing! I misread what you asked. I got the clinical and non-clinical mixed up.

My non-clinical experience would be the work experience at the medical office as well as the volunteer hours at an after school tutoring program for primary school kids and as a volunteer at an activity center for senior citizens.

One more thing! I misread what you asked. I got the clinical and non-clinical mixed up.

My non-clinical experience would be the work experience at the medical office as well as the volunteer hours at an after school tutoring program for primary school kids and as a volunteer at an activity center for senior citizens.
You will need to get some experience helping those less fortunate. Consider your local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc. After school tutoring is a common activity and you should be able to impact your community outside of an academic environment.

Successful NY MD applicants had a s3.67 and 3.73 total gpa as well as a 514 MCAT.
Depending on the number of post bac hours with A's and your MCAT, a DO application seems advisable.
Hopefully you left the DO's office on good terms. A DO letter will help.
I did leave the DO's office on good terms! I enjoyed it a lot and helping him out and watching him work (especially with OMM) was really cool to me.

You will need to get some experience helping those less fortunate. Consider your local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc. After school tutoring is a common activity and you should be able to impact your community outside of an academic environment.

I have something set up like that and I plan to do that for the next year.
____________________________________________________________________________________

I'll have 33 post-bacc credits when I finish Phy 2. Should I still be taking extra classes or is my courseload okay? I broke down the courses and why I took them but I'm not sure if I should be taking any additional courses. Do you guys have any pointers? I'm just unsure of the plan I had to spend an extra year getting experience serving the less fortunate and continuing to build on and add to the clinical experience I already had.

I'll have 33 post-bacc credits when I finish Phy 2. Should I still be taking extra classes or is my courseload okay? I broke down the courses and why I took them but I'm not sure if I should be taking any additional courses. Do you guys have any pointers? I'm just unsure of the plan I had to spend an extra year getting experience serving the less fortunate and continuing to build on and add to the clinical experience I already had.
Your GPA is on the lower end for MD schools. Many of the schools in that range are service-oriented and want to see a large commitment to helping those less fortunate.

Much of your post bacc was retaking classes, so it is expected that you do well in them. I do not know how you’ll do on the MCAT. That results in a range of outcomes and I cannot advise on whether you should take upper division classes till after you get a score. Doing well in ochem and biochem on the first try was good though.

Reactions: 1 user
I see. You emphasized the MCAT score was important. Would you then suggest I keep my schedule as is? Maintaining the schedule I have now with Phy 2, focusing on MCAT studying, and keeping up with my experiences?

I see. You emphasized the MCAT score was important. Would you then suggest I keep my schedule as is? Maintaining the schedule I have now with Phy 2, focusing on MCAT studying, and keeping up with my experiences?
Yes. When you find out your score, you can post back here. I assume you can’t take any additional classes for spring semester at this point anyways.

Yes. When you find out your score, you can post back here. I assume you can’t take any additional classes for spring semester at this point anyways.

There actually is a bit of time left at my institution! Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Would it be worthwhile to add an upper-division class (particularly Cell Bio is the one that fits around my schedule) or should I focus on the schedule I have at hand?

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Stick that MCAT and you should be in fine shape, especially for DO schools.

You could add another course, but not if it will take away from MCAT prep. The course could help if you have fundamental knowledge gaps in that area though.

There actually is a bit of time left at my institution! Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Would it be worthwhile to add an upper-division class (particularly Cell Bio is the one that fits around my schedule) or should I focus on the schedule I have at hand?
My thoughts are the same as Dral's. You can take Cell Bio if you don't think it will interfere with your study schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE:

I just received my MCAT score and I'm bumping this post up to see if I should still delay my application or apply this cycle.

I was enrolled in a post-bacc program right now that suggested I retake Gen Bio 1, Gen Bio 2, Gen Phy 1, and Gen phy 2. I needed to retake the entire physics sequence as the course I took was online, done before 2020, and didn't have a lab component. I've taken all of those courses as well as Orgo 1 and 2 (both w/ a lab component) as well as Biochem, Cell Bio, and Sociology in the program. My grades in those classes are as follows:

Cell Bio w/ Lab: A

I took a total for 37 credits in the program.

I received a 507

NY

Ethnicity and/or race
ORM

State School

I have accumulated around 2000+ hours of clinical experience during my 4-year stretch gap year. I am currently working for an ophthalmologist (since May of 2023).

Pediatrician in-person shadowing: 16 hours

President of Science-related club in post-bacc institution. I was Secretary previously and had been a part of the club for 2 years. I was also working as a medical office manager (non-medical related) for a relative from 2020 up until 2023.

School list currently:

1. NYITCOM
2. TouroCOM-NY
3. UNECOM
4. CCOM
5. LECOM
6. UP-KYCOM
7. WCU-COM
8. AZCOM
9. ACOM
10. CUSOM
11. WVSOM
12. PCOM
13. DMUCOM
14. ATKCOM
15. BCOM
16. KCUCOM
17. NoordaCOM
18. SUNY Upstate
19. SUNY Downstate
20. SUNY Jacobs
21. Wayne State
22. GWU
23. NYMC
24. Temple
25. Drexel
26. Quinnipiac
27. EVMS
28. Georgetown
29. Albany

@Goro @gonnif @Dral @chilly_md @gyngyn @LizzyM Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ibsugges

1. NYITCOM
2. TouroCOM-NY
3. UNECOM
4. CCOM
5. LECOM
6. UP-KYCOM
7. WCU-COM
8. AZCOM
9. ACOM
10. CUSOM
11. WVSOM
12. PCOM
13. DMUCOM
14. ATKCOM
16. KCUCOM
18. SUNY Upstate
19. SUNY Downstate
20. SUNY Jacobs
26. Quinnipiac
28. Georgetown
29. Albany

ADD all VCOMs except LA, MUCOM

Ibsugges

1. NYITCOM
2. TouroCOM-NY
3. UNECOM
4. CCOM
5. LECOM
6. UP-KYCOM
7. WCU-COM
8. AZCOM
9. ACOM
10. CUSOM
11. WVSOM
12. PCOM
13. DMUCOM
14. ATKCOM
16. KCUCOM
18. SUNY Upstate
19. SUNY Downstate
20. SUNY Jacobs
26. Quinnipiac
28. Georgetown
29. Albany

ADD all VCOMs except LA, MUCOM
Thank you for the suggestions! Would it be worth it to apply to the the new MD schools? I know there's currently 5: Roseman, American University, Belmont, Methodist and Alice Walton

Thank you for the suggestions! Would it be worth it to apply to the the new MD schools? I know there's currently 5: Roseman, American University, Belmont, Methodist and Alice Walton
Geography wise, you want to move from NY to... ?
Northwest Arkansas (AWSOM, when they are available for applications)
Fayetteville NC (Methodist)
Nashville (Belmont)
Las Vegas (Roseman)

[Having difficulty with Google finding American University's new school of medicine...]

I agree with Goro. You can try Belmont too and any of those new MD schools if they begin taking apps this upcoming cycle.