DO WAMC Submitting Next Week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelampking

No IP Address Found
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Submitting in the next few days (~9/14). Still waiting on transcripts/LOR (the science professors aren't responding and I don't blame them >4 years out of undergrad...).
As soon as I submit, I plan on pre-writing my secondaries.

Stats:
3.42 Undergrad GPA
506 MCAT
Graduated 2013 (nontrad)
Applied MD in 2013 and 2016 (no interviews)
Applying to Pacific Northwest and Western Lebanon (Rural/wilderness medicine is the goal)

What do you guys think? WAMC? Any other schools you would add to that list? :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools. What areas of the country are you interested in? Where is your state of residence?

Submitting in the next few days (~9/14). Still waiting on transcripts/LOR (the science professors aren't responding and I don't blame them >4 years out of undergrad...).
As soon as I submit, I plan on pre-writing my secondaries.

Stats:
3.42 Undergrad GPA
506 MCAT
Graduated 2013 (nontrad)
Applied MD in 2013 and 2016 (no interviews)
Applying to Pacific Northwest and Western Lebanon (Rural/wilderness medicine is the goal)

What do you guys think? WAMC? Any other schools you would add to that list? :)

I think you've got a very good chance at DO acceptance, barring something on your record that prevented you getting any interest from MD schools when you applied before.

I'm assuming you live in the Pacific Northwest? If you're interested in other areas of the country, you could apply to any DO and have a shot. I'd apply to ACOM, the VCOMS, RVU-COM colorado, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools. What areas of the country are you interested in? Where is your state of residence?

I'm interested in rural areas because of my hobbies (and rural medicine interests me). I love being outdoors and prefer mountains/bodies of water to a concrete jungle :) I have lived in Arizona, Florida (undergrad), NYC, Northern California, and Montana - but I would be open to going anywhere for 4 years. I am currently living in Thailand, so residency is proving a bit of an issue. I currently have a Montana drivers license and that was the last place I lived, but my parents are in Tennessee (I have never lived there), but I have been putting their address as my permanent address for the last few months (total time in Thailand will be 6 months). Hoping I will be able to call MT today and figure that out (13 hour time difference) because I know residency in that state will help me immensely!

I think you've got a very good chance at DO acceptance, barring something on your record that prevented you getting any interest from MD schools when you applied before.

I'm assuming you live in the Pacific Northwest? If you're interested in other areas of the country, you could apply to any DO and have a shot. I'd apply to ACOM, the VCOMS, RVU-COM colorado, etc.

MD schools that got back to me said it was because of my GPA/MCAT could be stronger and (being a nontrad) not enough time in clinical settings. I have put some work into the clinical part of my application over the past year and I would be open to taking the MCAT again, but I really want to apply DO. I spoke to RVU-COM CO and they require a full course-load in the past 3 years to be considered - which is a shame because they have exactly what I'm looking for (rural and wilderness medicine track), but I really don't want to take a semester of courses or get a masters (mostly because I wouldn't be able to work and debt reasons).

Thank you! I'll look into those schools for sure :)

With your preferences I suggest these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Idaho (new school accepting applications in the next few months)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ATSU-SOMA

Reactions: 1 user