WAMC undergrad cGPA 3.6; sGPA 3.8/grad(PA school) 4.0/MCAT 508 (should I retake?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella92129

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I’m hoping to apply to medical school this cycle as a non traditional applicant. I graduated from undergrad in 2010, and PA school in 2012. My undergrad GPA wasn’t the greatest but there was an upward trend (my freshman year gpa really brings my cum down) and I got a 4.0 in PA school. I have been working as a PA for about 10 years now mostly in cardiac surgery so I have ample clinical hours. I also volunteer through a local organization that provides transportation etc for elderly to get to doctors appointments. I just got my mcat score back this past week and am a bit shocked by the 508. My AAMC FLs were 509/512/515/519 so I was hoping to do quite a bit better than I did. My breakdown was 127/124/128/129 so I clearly bombed CARS which is interesting because I didn’t get below a 128 on an practice exam. I think I started panicking during C/P when there were some calculations I was struggling with and then I had a hard time focusing after that. I honestly was almost in tears during the 30 min break because I felt like I was bombing it. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on retaking? And if not, what schools I would have a chance of getting into. I’m hoping for MD but not opposed to DO. I’m a Massachusetts resident and was initially hoping to stay in state but I know that may not be an option if I don’t retake and increase my score.

Members don't see this ad.

I have. I do plan to apply to that program since it will be less time and cost. Thus far I have been leaning towards MD instead of DO, I think really due the fear that it may be harder to match and do a fellowship as a DO (I want anesthesia and most likely cardiac anesthesia), however, that may be a completely unwarranted these days. I was also hoping to stay closer to home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
apply to both MD and DO schools. For MD schools I suggest these:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth (reach but like older non trad)
Brown (reach but like older non trad)
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia