This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vethopeful3768

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey :) I never thought I would make one of these posts but the whole COVID situation has given me a lot more time to think (stress) about my chances of getting into vet school and really wondering if it is possible?

I'm from BC so applying to WCVM, I just graduated with a bachelor of science
GPA
My GPA calculated as 2/3 overall GPA + 1/3 best year= 3.754 or 84.25%
Animal experience
I grew up on a cattle ranch and have probably 3500+ hours of official work there
I volunteered at a small animal clinic where I was going to school so have ~ 150 hours there
and am currently working at a mixed animal clinic and expect to have ~400-500 hours here
I have some experience with wildlife research (big horn sheep/ other ungulates, pikas, endangered birds, aquatic animals) probably ~100 hours
Extracurriculars
Dance club
Peer mentor
intramural sports teams
volunteered at a retirement home
Running (training for 1st half marathon- unsure as to if I should include this

Overall I am worried that my GPA is a bit low and that maybe my extracurriculars are lacking? any feedback would be super appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA sounds like it should be sufficient for being granted an interview, but if you want to know for sure I would recommend emailing admissions to find out where you would have ranked this last year in terms of interview offers. You have a wide variety of experience with animals as well as leadership, teamwork, and community involvement experience — which is really great. From attending pre-vet Q&A sessions I know these are the things they look for in interviews:
-animal related experience
-veterinary profession knowledge
-maturity/motivation
-community involvement
-leadership experience
-communications skills
My best advice is to continue what you have been doing and to participate in mock interviews. Don’t stress, you sound like you’re definitely on the right path! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey :) I never thought I would make one of these posts but the whole COVID situation has given me a lot more time to think (stress) about my chances of getting into vet school and really wondering if it is possible?

I'm from BC so applying to WCVM, I just graduated with a bachelor of science
GPA
My GPA calculated as 2/3 overall GPA + 1/3 best year= 3.754 or 84.25%
Animal experience
I grew up on a cattle ranch and have probably 3500+ hours of official work there
I volunteered at a small animal clinic where I was going to school so have ~ 150 hours there
and am currently working at a mixed animal clinic and expect to have ~400-500 hours here
I have some experience with wildlife research (big horn sheep/ other ungulates, pikas, endangered birds, aquatic animals) probably ~100 hours
Extracurriculars
Dance club
Peer mentor
intramural sports teams
volunteered at a retirement home
Running (training for 1st half marathon- unsure as to if I should include this

Overall I am worried that my GPA is a bit low and that maybe my extracurriculars are lacking? any feedback would be super appreciated!!

Hey, Im heading in to second year at WCVM and got in as a BC resident! I think that with a 84% average, you should at least get a second round interview. Having lots of varied experience will definitely help make up for a lower GPA. I am also a runner, and included it in my application! I was pretty involved with my local running store training clinics, and volunteered at other races around town so I included it under the community involvement part of the application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Im heading in to second year at WCVM and got in as a BC resident! I think that with a 84% average, you should at least get a second round interview. Having lots of varied experience will definitely help make up for a lower GPA. I am also a runner, and included it in my application! I was pretty involved with my local running store training clinics, and volunteered at other races around town so I included it under the community involvement part of the application.
Thank you so much for you response :) Definitely good to know!

Your GPA sounds like it should be sufficient for being granted an interview, but if you want to know for sure I would recommend emailing admissions to find out where you would have ranked this last year in terms of interview offers. You have a wide variety of experience with animals as well as leadership, teamwork, and community involvement experience — which is really great. From attending pre-vet Q&A sessions I know these are the things they look for in interviews:
-animal related experience
-veterinary profession knowledge
-maturity/motivation
-community involvement
-leadership experience
-communications skills
My best advice is to continue what you have been doing and to participate in mock interviews. Don’t stress, you sound like you’re definitely on the right path! :)
Thank you so much! this is a super helpful response, definitely made me feel better :) I'll for sure email admissions to get a better idea!

Reactions: 1 user