• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

vethopeful3768

May 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Veterinary
    Hey :) I never thought I would make one of these posts but the whole COVID situation has given me a lot more time to think (stress) about my chances of getting into vet school and really wondering if it is possible?

I'm from BC so applying to WCVM, I just graduated with a bachelor of science
    GPA
    My GPA calculated as 2/3 overall GPA + 1/3 best year= 3.754 or 84.25%
    Animal experience
    I grew up on a cattle ranch and have probably 3500+ hours of official work there
    I volunteered at a small animal clinic where I was going to school so have ~ 150 hours there
    and am currently working at a mixed animal clinic and expect to have ~400-500 hours here
    I have some experience with wildlife research (big horn sheep/ other ungulates, pikas, endangered birds, aquatic animals) probably ~100 hours
    Extracurriculars
    Dance club
    Peer mentor
    intramural sports teams
    volunteered at a retirement home
    Running (training for 1st half marathon- unsure as to if I should include this

Overall I am worried that my GPA is a bit low and that maybe my extracurriculars are lacking? any feedback would be super appreciated!!

Last edited:

brandonfleurs

WCVM 2024
    Apr 21, 2019
    1. Veterinary Student
      Your GPA sounds like it should be sufficient for being granted an interview, but if you want to know for sure I would recommend emailing admissions to find out where you would have ranked this last year in terms of interview offers. You have a wide variety of experience with animals as well as leadership, teamwork, and community involvement experience — which is really great. From attending pre-vet Q&A sessions I know these are the things they look for in interviews:
      -animal related experience
      -veterinary profession knowledge
      -maturity/motivation
      -community involvement
      -leadership experience
      -communications skills
      My best advice is to continue what you have been doing and to participate in mock interviews. Don’t stress, you sound like you’re definitely on the right path! :)

About the Ads

westcoastgirl12

2+ Year Member
      Feb 1, 2019
      1. Pre-Veterinary
        Hey :) I never thought I would make one of these posts but the whole COVID situation has given me a lot more time to think (stress) about my chances of getting into vet school and really wondering if it is possible?

I'm from BC so applying to WCVM, I just graduated with a bachelor of science
        GPA
        My GPA calculated as 2/3 overall GPA + 1/3 best year= 3.754 or 84.25%
        Animal experience
        I grew up on a cattle ranch and have probably 3500+ hours of official work there
        I volunteered at a small animal clinic where I was going to school so have ~ 150 hours there
        and am currently working at a mixed animal clinic and expect to have ~400-500 hours here
        I have some experience with wildlife research (big horn sheep/ other ungulates, pikas, endangered birds, aquatic animals) probably ~100 hours
        Extracurriculars
        Dance club
        Peer mentor
        intramural sports teams
        volunteered at a retirement home
        Running (training for 1st half marathon- unsure as to if I should include this

Overall I am worried that my GPA is a bit low and that maybe my extracurriculars are lacking? any feedback would be super appreciated!!

Hey, Im heading in to second year at WCVM and got in as a BC resident! I think that with a 84% average, you should at least get a second round interview. Having lots of varied experience will definitely help make up for a lower GPA. I am also a runner, and included it in my application! I was pretty involved with my local running store training clinics, and volunteered at other races around town so I included it under the community involvement part of the application.

Reactions: 1 user

vethopeful3768

May 17, 2020
        1. Pre-Veterinary
          Hey, Im heading in to second year at WCVM and got in as a BC resident! I think that with a 84% average, you should at least get a second round interview. Having lots of varied experience will definitely help make up for a lower GPA. I am also a runner, and included it in my application! I was pretty involved with my local running store training clinics, and volunteered at other races around town so I included it under the community involvement part of the application.
          Thank you so much for you response :) Definitely good to know!

vethopeful3768

May 17, 2020
          1. Pre-Veterinary
            Your GPA sounds like it should be sufficient for being granted an interview, but if you want to know for sure I would recommend emailing admissions to find out where you would have ranked this last year in terms of interview offers. You have a wide variety of experience with animals as well as leadership, teamwork, and community involvement experience — which is really great. From attending pre-vet Q&A sessions I know these are the things they look for in interviews:
            -animal related experience
            -veterinary profession knowledge
            -maturity/motivation
            -community involvement
            -leadership experience
            -communications skills
            My best advice is to continue what you have been doing and to participate in mock interviews. Don’t stress, you sound like you’re definitely on the right path! :)
            Thank you so much! this is a super helpful response, definitely made me feel better :) I'll for sure email admissions to get a better idea!

Reactions: 1 user
            About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.