WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deoo

Reaction score
Date of submission: Applying next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 20, RC: 18, QR: 19, BIO:30, CHM: 21 OCHEM: 22. AA:22 TS:24
State of Residence: Florida

Undergrad Attended:
Top university in FL
Major: Biomedical sciences
Minor: none
Minority?
no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience:
30hrs (general)
Volunteering Experience: non
Employment: DA
Research: non
Other Extracurriculars: non
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
UF
UB
Rutgers
NOVA

Temple

Disclaimer: yes I am aware my application is fairly empty, I haven't had a chance to do much as one of my relatives was diagnosed with cancer and I had to take care of them. However they are doing better now and I have from now till next year to make my application look better with shadowing, employment and ECs. Is it a red flag that I'm doing most of the shadowing and ECs in my last year?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a red flag, just explain why to admissions when you get your interviews. I would expand your list by a couple more schools if you can. Five schools is a pretty small list for your DAT score, I would try to increase it by at least 2-3 more schools. You might have a better chance with LECOM than NOVA, seems like nova rejected a lot of applicants with similar stats to yours if you go look in the nova thread. But if you'd rather go to nova then still apply and don't let what I'm saying discourage you. Hopefully, some others give you some input. But yes, I would get started on those ECs/Shadowing/and employment/research if you can. Try to aim for 80-100 hours of shadowing, it will help cover most of the school's shadowing minimums. Most don't have minimums for volunteer hours but I'd get at least 50. I had around 60 hours or so. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's a red flag, just explain why to admissions when you get your interviews. I would expand your list by a couple more schools if you can. Five schools is a pretty small list for your DAT score, I would try to increase it by at least 2-3 more schools. You might have a better chance with LECOM than NOVA, seems like nova rejected a lot of applicants with similar stats to yours if you go look in the nova thread. But if you'd rather go to nova then still apply and don't let what I'm saying discourage you. Hopefully, some others give you some input. But yes, I would get started on those ECs/Shadowing/and employment/research if you can. Try to aim for 80-100 hours of shadowing, it will help cover most of the school's shadowing minimums. Most don't have minimums for volunteer hours but I'd get at least 50. I had around 60 hours or so. Good luck!
agree with the above

increase your list
add a few nearby public schools

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start getting experiences now. Hard to argue why you want to be a dentist with just 30 hours of shadowing and no other experience chairside.

Furthermore not having any other extracurricular activities didn't show me you actually like to work with people. Not all of your patients will be textbook maintenance cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Start getting experiences now. Hard to argue why you want to be a dentist with just 30 hours of shadowing and no other experience chairside.

Furthermore not having any other extracurricular activities didn't show me you actually like to work with people. Not all of your patients will be textbook maintenance cases.
Since my post, I have collected 700+ as a DA at an OMFS institute, started a pre-dental organization (more focused on helping the community than getting people into dental school), and volunteered as a translator at a red crescent clinic. I'm also currently in the process of getting involved in my first research opportunity. I have hit 100 hours of general dentist shadowing, but I don't know if I should get more, my schedule is pretty busy, and not sure if it's a priority.