This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda_d

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 27 y/o student in my last year of undergrad. I've had an unusual path in school. I'm currently in an accredited program online. I'm graduating with a B.S. in Biology (transferred in labs from a community college). I have a 4.0 GPA.

I'm also a volunteer EMT. I think this experience, as well as being chronically ill as a child, has me leaning towards working in an ER...

My question is, what path do you think would be most effective for me?

I'm thinking of doing some sort of pre-health post-bac program. That way I can do some hands-on learning again, before the MCAT and applying to med schools. I just wonder, would it be odd since I've already majored in Bio?

Does this seem appropriate or should I just go for the MCAT and med school applications straight away?

I want to be taken as a serious candidate, and I feel a little intimidated by the fact that I'm getting my degree online. I know times and technology are changing but I figured I'd ask opinions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the core sciences online? Many med schools have a bias against (or down right won't accept) online required courses. Do you have the required med school courses? have you taken any MCAT practice tests? how did you score?

Need answers to such before making the best suggestions.

Did you take the core sciences online? Many med schools have a bias against (or down right won't accept) online required courses. Do you have the required med school courses? have you taken any MCAT practice tests? how did you score?

Need answers to such before making the best suggestions.

Hello, thanks for the response!

I did the core science and mathematics courses in a regular classroom/lab setting. According to my school, I will have an identical transcript to those that earned their degree in-person from my institution. It's a well-known, highly looked upon state school. They just happen to have a lot of online courses, which makes it easier for students in my situation to earn their degree online.

Side note: The only reason I've been doing the courses online to begin with is because of the cost. Unexpected circumstances (my father passing in the middle of my studies) left me with less money for undergrad than I anticipated. I'm working on strengthening my credit score, however, if and when I do need to take out loans for future schooling. Plus I've been saving a bit for future schooling too.

Anyway, I'm so new to this idea of "medical school." I've known I've wanted to work in emergency settings for a while but I never expected my interests to lead me down this path. It's exciting for me and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into a great school.

I've been studying for the MCAT in my free time. I haven't tested yet. I'm wondering, what type of score should I look to aim for?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, thanks for the response!

I did the core science and mathematics courses in a regular classroom/lab setting. According to my school, I will have an identical transcript to those that earned their degree in-person from my institution. It's a well-known, highly looked upon state school. They just happen to have a lot of online courses, which makes it easier for students in my situation to earn their degree online.

Side note: The only reason I've been doing the courses online to begin with is because of the cost. Unexpected circumstances (my father passing in the middle of my studies) left me with less money for undergrad than I anticipated. I'm working on strengthening my credit score, however, if and when I do need to take out loans for future schooling. Plus I've been saving a bit for future schooling too.

Anyway, I'm so new to this idea of "medical school." I've known I've wanted to work in emergency settings for a while but I never expected my interests to lead me down this path. It's exciting for me and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into a great school.

I've been studying for the MCAT in my free time. I haven't tested yet. I'm wondering, what type of score should I look to aim for?

Thanks again!

As long as core sciences were in class and transcript doesn't say you'll be fine, but I wouldn't volunteer that anything was online. If they don't ask you don't say. As long as you have required courses you don't need another degree!!, but do make sure you have taken biochem (for mcat) and imo A&P and genetics, as those are killer classes in med school and some schools expect you to come in knowing it.

MCAT Depends on what you are going for MD or DO, but I'd push for a 515+ if you want to have the best chance at scoring well and opportunities. Credit score as long as average doesn't matter much, as you'll need federal loans to pay for med school anyway unless you have a rich relative. Biggest thing is fix any major credit red flags as possible. Like a $100 unpaid gas card bill or such.

You should work to get in some volunteer/shadowing hours. That will help you figure out a lot in medicine.

Do some reading on SDN and then ask some more questions.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
As long as you have required courses you don't need another degree!!, but do make sure you have taken biochem (for mcat) and imo A&P and genetics, as those are killer classes in med school and they expect you to come in knowing it.

Best of Luck
My school and many others do not expect anyone to have taken anatomy, physiology or genetics (other than as part basic biology).

My school and many others do not expect anyone to have taken anatomy, physiology or genetics (other than as part basic biology).

Mine doesn't "require it" but teaches (or expects you to learn it on your own) at a rate that if you don't come in knowing such extremely well coming in it's a nightmare to keep up.

Hello,

I am a 27 y/o student in my last year of undergrad. I've had an unusual path in school. I'm currently in an accredited program online. I'm graduating with a B.S. in Biology (transferred in labs from a community college). I have a 4.0 GPA.

I'm also a volunteer EMT. I think this experience, as well as being chronically ill as a child, has me leaning towards working in an ER...

My question is, what path do you think would be most effective for me?

I'm thinking of doing some sort of pre-health post-bac program. That way I can do some hands-on learning again, before the MCAT and applying to med schools. I just wonder, would it be odd since I've already majored in Bio?

Does this seem appropriate or should I just go for the MCAT and med school applications straight away?

I want to be taken as a serious candidate, and I feel a little intimidated by the fact that I'm getting my degree online. I know times and technology are changing but I figured I'd ask opinions.

Thanks!

My advice:
1. Get a paid position in the medical field and stay there until you get accepted into med school. Longevity at a job is very rare for our generation and will make your stand out.
2. Consider doing a Kaplan MCAT prep course. I did one and I'm thankful that I did.
3. Don't wait too long to apply- the longer you wait the more you will forget from undergrad and the potentially longer it will take you to relearn the material from basic sciences you need for the MCAT.
4. Get involved in at least 1 research project- you need to be able to say that you tried research and have decided that clinical medicine is the better fit for you
Thats the end of my free advice. Blessings on your journey!