Wanting to be a Medical Examiner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiackid88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an osteopathic medical examiner? Not that I am "dead"-set on becoming an ME, but I was just intrigued by watching the role of an ME on tv shows like Law & Order and NCIS (I totally admire Ducky's trivia-type knowledge and anecdotes). Just thought I'd start this thread in the pre-DO section in case others were interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of an osteopathic medical examiner? Not that I am "dead"-set on becoming an ME, but I was just intrigued by watching the role of an ME on tv shows like Law & Order and NCIS (I totally admire Ducky's trivia-type knowledge and anecdotes). Just thought I'd start this thread in the pre-DO section in case others were interested.

You can become a medical examiner after you complete forenics pathology residency. There is one DO forenics path residency and about 20+ allopathic residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're in the same boat, and yes I've read of DO forensic pathologists so it's definitely possible.

oooo, do you think that DO med examiners learn special OMM techniques to uncover hidden clues?? haha, just jk! =)

Haha Yum...I did my masters in forensic science....did about a billion autopsies...I think it would get pretty old after a while. I personally dont know any DO MEs personally but know they exist.

Does anyone know of an osteopathic medical examiner?

Yup, I personally know two. Funny, one of them actually wrote my D.O LOR. Not sure what she included for her experience with me in a clinical setting.

Anyway, it's definitely a different lifestyle, and the work can be quite interesting. You really have to have a huge tolerance/insensitivity towards human tragedy though. Some of the stuff M.E's have to deal with will really mess with your head. Oh, and make sure you have a strong stomach too. Dealing with blood and guts is one thing, but dealing with blood and guts that have been rotting for a month and are now maggot infested, is another altogether (Sorry to be graphic, but that's how I knew I didn't want to be an M.E)

Yup, I personally know two. Funny, one of them actually wrote my D.O LOR. Not sure what she included for her experience with me in a clinical setting.

Anyway, it's definitely a different lifestyle, and the work can be quite interesting. You really have to have a huge tolerance/insensitivity towards human tragedy though. Some of the stuff M.E's have to deal with will really mess with your head. Oh, and make sure you have a strong stomach too. Dealing with blood and guts is one thing, but dealing with blood and guts that have been rotting for a month and are now maggot infested, is another altogether (Sorry to be graphic, but that's how I knew I didn't want to be an M.E)

I use to want to be an ME for those same exact reasons you state. ....UHMMMM I'm thinking I have another contender for possibly career paths.

^^^ one of the autopsies I saw was a man who was hit by a SEPTA bus here in philly doing 50mph....ever see a liquid body?

When I worked with an ME, they brought in a guy who had been dead in his apartment for about 3 months. This guy had been dead and rotting 2 months prior while I was studying for the MCAT. Weird. It looked like something from a horror film, but I dug right in there. I was actually more grossed out from anatomy lab.

I wonder how it's looked at if you state your interest in forensic pathology during an interview? I've always wondered if it's a trick "Primary Care or Specialty?" question, but I guess they figure most peopel will change their mind anywayso it doesn't matter.