Wanting to take the MCAT but not sure if I should

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pdix001

Reaction score
I’m a nontraditional student who has earned an associates degree in general studies and has transferred to a 4 year institute . I am a full time student and full time employee. I currently study biology and minor in chemistry and professional health. My issue is that I will be graduating next year with only a gpa of about a 2.3. Classes I’ve earned D’s I have retaken or will be retaking in the fall. I’ve done pretty well with upper level courses but they’re not doing much for my gpa.

I am a single parent to one child, I currently live on my own. I have worked 3 jobs for as long as I can remember. I am currently a certified nurses assistant. Recently I have taken on a role as a CNA mentor at my full time gig. I work on average 60 hrs a week.

I’m wondering if I should bother taking the MCAT or not given my low gpa .

Members don't see this ad.

With a GPA of 2.3, you aren't going to be able to apply to to medical school I the United States. I am not sure about the Caribbean, however. This means that you are likely to have to go through a master's program to bring your GPA up before you can apply. With that being said, you should probably plan to take the GRE first because graduate school will likely come first.

Reactions: 1 user
With a GPA of 2.3, you aren't going to be able to apply to to medical school I the United States. I am not sure about the Caribbean, however. This means that you are likely to have to go through a master's program to bring your GPA up before you can apply. With that being said, you should probably plan to take the GRE first because graduate school will likely come first.
OP. Still has 2 years UG left. If they theoretically 4.0 the whole deal then they could pull up to a 3.1 and DO their way to doctor. Or SMP their way to MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a nontraditional student who has earned an associates degree in general studies and has transferred to a 4 year institute . I am a full time student and full time employee. I currently study biology and minor in chemistry and professional health. My issue is that I will be graduating next year with only a gpa of about a 2.3. Classes I’ve earned D’s I have retaken or will be retaking in the fall. I’ve done pretty well with upper level courses but they’re not doing much for my gpa.

I am a single parent to one child, I currently live on my own. I have worked 3 jobs for as long as I can remember. I am currently a certified nurses assistant. Recently I have taken on a role as a CNA mentor at my full time gig. I work on average 60 hrs a week.

I’m wondering if I should bother taking the MCAT or not given my low gpa .
way too early to be thinking about the MCAT, you have a lot of GPA repair to do

Reactions: 2 users
Why medicine though?

OP
You need to decrease to a part-time student since you work full-time/single parent and live on your own. You're not going to make good grades if you're doing both full-time.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the feedback .

OP
You need to decrease to a part-time student since you work full-time/single parent and live on your own. You're not going to make good grades if you're doing both full-time.

I appreciate the feedback , thanks .

I appreciate the feedback , thanks .
You can turn things around but you have to go at a slower pace. You have too much on your plate as of right now. Getting As in two science classes/semester is better than getting an A, two Bs, and a C in four classes in a semester (grades could be worse).

You can turn things around but you have to go at a slower pace. You have too much on your plate as of right now. Getting As in two science classes/semester is better than getting an A, two Bs, and a C in four classes in a semester (grades could be worse).

You’re absolutely right, I’ll keep that in mind moving forward. I have 9 credits left to take over 2 semesters I’ll be sure to spread them out .