Was Charged Last Night, Conviction A Certainty [Do I Report To Schools??!]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rosenblum said:
Where did I imply that people still care (or ever cared) about my predicament? You could take anybody's individual post in any thread, quote it, and say that they think the thread is all about them. :rolleyes: Do you have some sort of inferiority complex about never starting a thread that got past page two? :confused:
hey rosenblum, don't let a few people convince you people don't care; plenty of people do and that's why we listened and tried to offer suggestions; we're all in this med school thing together and hopefully everyone is willing to help one and other. how are things going?

Members don't see this ad.

rosenblum said:
Ok, that was sort of funny. Sort of.

You're right though, I probably will be looking into this through the substance abuse program i'll be joining. I wouldn't say that I have an anger management problem, but I don't know how one defines that. I only occasionally get violent when I'm drinking heavily. I've only been in two real fights, and besides those two fights i've never been abusive (physically/mentally) to anybody, especially my girlfriend.
how bad is your substance abuse? and what do you mean you get violent? how violent? yikes! :eek:

desiredusername said:
Heavens to Murgatroid. (oh come on, I'm not the only one who liked snagglepuss.) It was just two people humping in a cowgirl position in all its grainy gif-ness. Is that an explicit enough description? Can we move on now?
ok, am i the only one who never refers to any position as "cowgirl"? what the heck does it mean? :oops: and was the avatar a pic of real people, or stick figures or something in between?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
ok, am i the only one who never refers to any position as "cowgirl"? what the heck does it mean? :oops: and was the avatar a pic of real people, or stick figures or something in between?

Do you really want to know?

Imagine a cowgirl riding a horse. Of course, a horse wears his saddle on his back, but it's not precise :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
Do you really want to know?
Yeah, I thought it was a sort of non-explicit, easily identifiable term. I didn't realize it would spawn so many questions or was horribly ambiguous.... That's what I get for growing up with neighbours who have a ranch.

desiredusername said:
Yeah, I thought it was a sort of non-explicit, easily identifiable term. I didn't realize it would spawn so many questions or was horribly ambiguous.... That's what I get for growing up with neighbours who have a ranch.
i have horses but i don't have sex with horses and i have no clue what it means

Psycho Doctor said:
i have horses but i don't have sex with horses and i have no clue what it means

You didn't use any smilies. Are you joking?

Nobody is having sex with horses. It's sex where the woman is on top. That's it.

MoosePilot said:
You didn't use any smilies. Are you joking?

Nobody is having sex with horses. It's sex where the woman is on top. That's it.
oh forgot the smilies; yes it was a joke. just making references to horses as you did and desiredusername referenced ranches; none of it made sense so i decided to make no sense either

Psycho Doctor said:
oh forgot the smilies; yes it was a joke. just making references to horses as you did and desiredusername referenced ranches; none of it made sense so i decided to make no sense either

It made sense :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Moose for the sake of agreeing. Please see page 2, post 14 for a reminder about what I agree with and then notice the post that is 4 in front of that post and 6 behind it. I think this will all make sense then.

Nikki2002 said:

if you don't stop w/ the adorable kitten avatars, i may just have to gouge my eyes out

Psycho Doctor said:
hey rosenblum, don't let a few people convince you people don't care; plenty of people do and that's why we listened and tried to offer suggestions; we're all in this med school thing together and hopefully everyone is willing to help one and other. how are things going?
Thanks for your kind post psycho! :) Things are going alright i guess. This long weekend couldn't have come at a better time. I've been trying to catch up on a lot of work i missed last week. Also catch up on all the lost sleep. I'm really fortunate to have very supportive parents through this process. They've really helped me do a lot of work to try and get things in order for me. On monday, i'm gonna call the 4 schools that I currently have interviews scheduled at and tell them that i'm withdrawing my application for this year. I'm just gonna say it's for personal/family issues. Then, I'm gonna try and figure out the best way to let the other bazillion schools know that i'm withdrawing.

Nikki2002 said:
well then.....i feel sorry for your eyes

ok, ok, how about this.....instead of me gouging my eyes out, you just give me one kitty

speaking of adorable animals...a mouse bit me yesterday, and he got me really good, but it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute
(this was at work, btw, not some random mouse)

Easily one of the 10 best threads in SDN history in the five-six years I have been on this site, off and on.

Hindu cow comment was priceless. I need to change my signature.

I'll buy into the thread, I have nothing better to do on the interview trail.

To the OP: Since you've already applied to medical schools, have you thought about finishing the process and then deferring for a year or two after you've been accepted so you can get some necessary perspective (and maturity -- since you mentioned a pattern of reckless behavior)? Just another option to keep in mind.

Also, definitely get the best lawyer you can. I had a couple of friends in college who had "youthful indiscretions," ie, DUI's, and they managed to keep them entirely off their record. With a very good lawyer (emphasis on very good, preferably outstanding) you should be able to get both charges reduced. Also, if you have a great lawyer, he/she should be giving you some, if not a lot, of the same advice that you have been getting on here -- write a sincere letter of apology to the officer, take the initiative to get into AA AND anger management classes. Good luck.

I have a proposition...

Make this thread a new forum.

P.S.
And the "Poop" Thread.

omg this thread almost has 14,000 views =ox

exlawgrrl said:
yep, troll. i was totally buying it, too, until that avatar.

Who called it like 10 pages ago?

ME :thumbup:

The gouging the eyes comment WAS interesting until I remembered that right before it we were talking about cowgirls...
*wink*

rosendumb you have wasted alot of our time... :mad: :laugh:

rosendumb is a baaaaad boy

spank.gif

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz

anyone care to summarize what's going on.

cause i followed the thred for a little bit but now

so what's going on with the OP.

lilycat said:
... write a sincere letter of apology to the officer, take the initiative to get into AA AND anger management classes. Good luck.
Thanks for your message lilycat. I'm actually going to attend my first AA class on Tuesday. In fact, one of the first things my lawyer told me to do was to get in touch with them because it would look like a good move in front of the judge. I really don't know if I'd call myself an alcoholic though. I was looking at some website and I don't think I have a lot of cardinal signs:
-I don't need a drink to get going
-I don't plan my day around getting alcohol, or drinking
-my friends have only mentioned to me a few times that i should ease up
I dunno, we'll see.

I don't think it would be possible for me to write a "sincere" letter of apology to this officer for hitting him. I didn't even really hit him; it was an open-fisted light shove to the cheek. The guy was a jerk, I don't regret it (well i do only because it's a legal matter now). I'd feel like a pretty big tool if i did write one. And I think he'd prob. throw it in the trash anyhow.

rosenblum said:
I don't think it would be possible for me to write a "sincere" letter of apology to this officer for hitting him. I didn't even really hit him; it was an open-fisted light shove to the cheek. The guy was a jerk, I don't regret it (well i do only because it's a legal matter now). I'd feel like a pretty big tool if i did write one. And I think he'd prob. throw it in the trash anyhow.

Not necessarily. I think he'd get an ego trip out of it, and then start to feel generous. People just want to feel like they have power in their hands, so acknowledge that he has that power and then let him make a choice about whether he wants to ruin your life.

Chinorean said:
Not necessarily. I think he'd get an ego trip out of it, and then start to feel generous. People just want to feel like they have power in their hands, so acknowledge that he has that power and then let him make a choice about whether he wants to ruin your life.
Yeah, i guess i have nothing to lose.

But I have extra reason to believe that he won't be receptive. I really think he was being prejudicial; but not in the normal way prejudicial. I was driving a late model 7 Series BMW when i was pulled over. [In fact, the reason I was pulled over was cause I was driving an expensive car in the crappiest part of the city at 3AM. I guess 95% of luxury cars driving thru there are stolen. :rolleyes: He later told me that my driving was actually normal. But that's not important.] Anyhow, i really felt he was taking joy in busting what I figure he thought was some "rich, preppy kids." He made some sarcastic comment/joke like: "ooh, did your daddy buy you that car?" I really think he trumped up this assault charge cause he's got something to prove making a cop's salary or something.

catalystman said:
rosendumb you have wasted alot of our time... :mad: :laugh:
what happened to this dude? :confused:

rosenblum said:
I was driving a late model 7 Series BMW when i was pulled over.
what did the pre-med advisor at duke tell you to do?

are you a rich, preppy kid? just wondering where you got the car, if you aren't. Not that it matters.

oh, and I never heard it called "cowgirl", either, so Psycho Doctor you aren't alone :p
btw somebody should start a poll to figure out how many people actually saw the avatar in question and how many just like to talk about it :laugh:

um, yeah...maybe I'm just bored

rosenblum said:
Thanks for your message lilycat. I'm actually going to attend my first AA class on Tuesday. In fact, one of the first things my lawyer told me to do was to get in touch with them because it would look like a good move in front of the judge. I really don't know if I'd call myself an alcoholic though. I was looking at some website and I don't think I have a lot of cardinal signs:
-I don't need a drink to get going
-I don't plan my day around getting alcohol, or drinking
-my friends have only mentioned to me a few times that i should ease up
I dunno, we'll see.
wow...but going to AA is admitting a problem and if you truly have a drinking problem you shouldn't be on the roads and the cops and judges will feel that way too.

rosenblum said:
Thanks for your kind post psycho! :) Things are going alright i guess. This long weekend couldn't have come at a better time. I've been trying to catch up on a lot of work i missed last week. Also catch up on all the lost sleep. I'm really fortunate to have very supportive parents through this process. They've really helped me do a lot of work to try and get things in order for me. On monday, i'm gonna call the 4 schools that I currently have interviews scheduled at and tell them that i'm withdrawing my application for this year. I'm just gonna say it's for personal/family issues. Then, I'm gonna try and figure out the best way to let the other bazillion schools know that i'm withdrawing.
you've got 4 interviews??? :eek: i wouldn't withdraw them; see what happens. it can't be worse than starting off saying you have a conviction and not even get the interview invites

tigress said:
are you a rich, preppy kid? just wondering where you got the car, if you aren't. Not that it matters.

oh, and I never heard it called "cowgirl", either, so Psycho Doctor you aren't alone :p
btw somebody should start a poll to figure out how many people actually saw the avatar in question and how many just like to talk about it :laugh:

um, yeah...maybe I'm just bored
thanks tigress :thumbup:

Psycho Doctor said:
wow...but going to AA is admitting a problem and if you truly have a drinking problem you shouldn't be on the roads and the cops and judges will feel that way too.

What Psycho Doctor said.

Seriously though, "cardinal signs" don't really mean anything, especially in this situation. Point is you got a DUI. Most people who get busted for a DUI -- that usually wasn't their first time driving "drunk" (whether you felt impaired or not isn't the issue). It should be obvious to you already that people in this country do not take drunk-driving lightly. Go to AA. If you don't start on your own, it's HIGHLY likely the judge will sentence you to some type of 12-step program as part of your "deal"/sentence, whatever.

Write the letter of apology. It doesn't matter if you think the cop was a jerk, and it doesn't matter what the reasons were for pulling you over. Get used to eating crow. This will happen more times than you like througout medical school and residency. A sincere-sounding letter of apology will show some element of maturity that likely has not come through on your part to date in this incident.

You need to start taking ownership of your behavior. Throwing blame around on everyone except for yourself is not the way to do it. YOU drove drunk. YOU took a swing at a cop. End of story.

Boy I'll be grumpy if this is all the work of a troll... :rolleyes: ;)

lilycat said:
You need to start taking ownership of your behavior. Throwing blame around on everyone except for yourself is not the way to do it. YOU drove drunk. YOU took a swing at a cop. End of story.
Hey, i take full blame for the DUI. That's indisbutable. As for the cop, yeah, maybe i'm making excuses a little.

lilycat said:
Boy I'll be grumpy if this is all the work of a troll... :rolleyes: ;)
You won't be grumpy.

desiredusername said:
what did the pre-med advisor at duke tell you to do?
haha.. duke :rolleyes: :laugh:

Psycho Doctor said:
you've got 4 interviews??? :eek: i wouldn't withdraw them; see what happens. it can't be worse than starting off saying you have a conviction and not even get the interview invites
Well, the way i think of it is that getting accepted and then later dumped is a lot worse than not getting an interview invite. I don't know if that sentence makes any sense.

I guess the ultimate question is: would a medical school be more favorable towards me in regards to a conviction if I were already accepted to their programme?

rosenblum said:
Well, the way i think of it is that getting accepted and then later dumped is a lot worse than not getting an interview invite. I don't know if that sentence makes any sense.

I guess the ultimate question is: would a medical school be more favorable towards me in regards to a conviction if I were already accepted to their programme?

If you get an offer it means they love you, they want you in their program. (BTW, are you British?)

Second point: you are not going to be convicted of a felony. Work with your lawyer to be sure that this doesn't happen. Plead it down, down, down.

Third point: If you do have to report that you have a DUI after you've been admitted, inform the adcom/dean of students (depending on whether you've matriculated already or not) and describe the efforts you've made since that time (# of AA mtgs over what period of time, classes, counseling, etc).

Some docs have problems with alcohol, some even with drugs! There is a major effort in medical schools and residency programs to educate and prevent but there are also major efforts by medical societies and licensing boards to salvage the careers of physicians who have problems. The nice thing about a guy who have already had a problem and who is in recovery is that he's in recovery.

Depending on where you are in the app process, mass withdrawing is not the best decision. Some schools have different requirements/procedures for re-applicants (and if you withdraw, for whatever reason, you will be a re-applicant). You might as well continue applying, and if you ultimately need a year off you can defer.

Next, there's always a solution. If you think there is no one with a dirty record than you in medical school, think again. Pre-meds will have you believe that you need to be a saint, or else you're not worthy. Disregard their naivette, it's completely misguided. Continue to apply, and work out your issues on the interview trail. Volunteer to share your troubles (with select people of importance in admissions -- not student/professor interviewers uninvolved in the process). If you simply withdraw, it will be a frittered opportunity, one that will potentially require more explaining than your present situation.

Best case scenario, you will receive multiple acceptances, and you'll be able to discuss with the individual schools the conditions of your acceptance. Once accepted you'll be in a good position to request a deferral, and for what better reason than substance abuse or your psych session or whatever you need to work out your innner demons. Worst case, you withdraw all of your applications, re-apply, and several schools will throw away your application for being a reapp, while others will require extra "writing" (ie, explaining what you've done to improve your app, why are you re-applying to a school you withdrew from, etc).

just wondering rosenblum, did you take a breathalizer test? i couldn't find the original post where you described what happened. assaulting a cop you can't get out of, but if you didn't take the breathalizer you can plead not guilty to the DUI and ask for the diversion program. you will have to go through drug tests, counseling, and your liscence will be suspended for a year, but the DUI won't appear on your record. at least this was the case for me when i was a very stupid high school student. it was a really difficult time for me, but forced me to confront my problems and ultimately see the damage i was doing to myself and risks i was taking. hopefully you can learn from your experience like i did and still pursue your path to becoming a doctor. good luck!

Do trolls need doctors also?

if its fine for somebody with a DUI to become president, then its fine to goto medical school. its definately not cool though. my friend just got charged with a DUI and flipped his car 8 times after having driven several times before while intoxicated (pretty awful driver while sober). his car is wrecked, but he is ok. i think its the best thing that could have ever happened to him.

So, on a different topic, what if we've never had a felony, but have been in trouble for something less serious? Is that something we should be worried about?

Ben Weeks said:
So, on a different topic, what if we've never had a felony, but have been in trouble for something less serious? Is that something we should be worried about?

:laugh: