Was Charged Last Night, Conviction A Certainty [Do I Report To Schools??!]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i feel u rosenblat for the prejudice thing. i live in la area and got pulled over with my friends a week ago for a DWA (= driving while asian). it was hella stupid and the cops tried their best to get us to admit to something/anything. no one in the car was faded and we wernt even goin to a party. our offense: 4 young asian males in a white honda prelude. they even eluded to that as the reason for pulling us over.

nonetheless....i think cops are worthless (generalization of course). seriously....who wants to be a cop? ppl who cant make it into a real college???? (another generalization....i have a college-grad friend now in the academy). also, cops are regular humans beings too, not some divine saint who does no wrong. i think ppl trip out too much when they see cops and think that theyre always right and always have the right answer. they abuse power like none other....

is this reply totally irrelevant to med school stuff? ohyah definitely. but ill bitch about cops any chance i get until society figures a way to put some ppl wit integrity in those black and whites.

should never ever ever touch a cop tho no matter what. its like touching their pride.

good luck rosenblat.

Members don't see this ad.

my point being, everyone seems to harp about how terrible felonies affect your chances, but what if you've been arrested for traffic violations or something along those lines? nothing dui, but like driving while suspended. I don't know if that's a misdemeanor, or anything about the system of law actually - I'm just not sure exactly how, well, probing this weeding out process is.

some people seem to give the impression that if you've ever talked to a police officer and he didn't pat you on the back and deputize you on the spot, you're not going to get accepted

desiredusername said:
Hey, I know this has nothing to do with this thread (and I don't really care, either, the OP can eat it, for all I care) but about your signature: did they really cancel Arrested Development?
Sadly yes. I'm still in denial hoping it will be picked up by some other network.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pewl said:
The last time I checked, we were all entitled to form and express our own opinions.

Opinions that, according to you, parents should be jailed for if you disagree.

rosenblum said:
Thanks for your message lilycat. I'm actually going to attend my first AA class on Tuesday. In fact, one of the first things my lawyer told me to do was to get in touch with them because it would look like a good move in front of the judge. I really don't know if I'd call myself an alcoholic though. I was looking at some website and I don't think I have a lot of cardinal signs:
-I don't need a drink to get going
-I don't plan my day around getting alcohol, or drinking
-my friends have only mentioned to me a few times that i should ease up
I dunno, we'll see.

u did get in trouble w/ the law, though. that puts u at least in alcohol abuser category according to DSMIV criteria (don't mind me. just finishing up neuro, and we covered drug abuse and addiction in a couple of the lectures) good luck w/ everything.

twoACES said:
i feel u rosenblat for the prejudice thing. i live in la area and got pulled over with my friends a week ago for a DWA (= driving while asian). it was hella stupid and the cops tried their best to get us to admit to something/anything. no one in the car was faded and we wernt even goin to a party. our offense: 4 young asian males in a white honda prelude. they even eluded to that as the reason for pulling us over.

nonetheless....i think cops are worthless (generalization of course). seriously....who wants to be a cop? ppl who cant make it into a real college???? (another generalization....i have a college-grad friend now in the academy). also, cops are regular humans beings too, not some divine saint who does no wrong. i think ppl trip out too much when they see cops and think that theyre always right and always have the right answer. they abuse power like none other....

is this reply totally irrelevant to med school stuff? ohyah definitely. but ill bitch about cops any chance i get until society figures a way to put some ppl wit integrity in those black and whites.

should never ever ever touch a cop tho no matter what. its like touching their pride.

good luck rosenblat.

I dont think asians get too discriminated against by the cops.

DWA? Well, if you guys would lay off the fast and furious stuff you wouldn't be targeted. That 34" wing on the trunk lid of your car isn't exactly camoflauge. The giant 5zigen sticker on the side probably makes cops wonder what parts of your car aren't street legal. If you and your 3 friends had been driving in a 97 ford taurus you wouldn't have been pulled over...unless you guys could pass for Mexicans.

Rosenblum:
I sympathize with your situation, you must be going through hell. Ignore everyone on their high horse here - can you imagine if they one day deny treatment to people based on their alleged criminal behavior or whatnot? Anyway, you said that there was a possibility all this would get erased from your record. Med schools only want to hear about *convictions*, and this most definitely happened *after* you sent in your apps. The matter is pending before the court, and hence you've been charged, but *not yet* convicted -- if you're convicted, you can tell the schools at that point.

Anyway, I also drive a late-model 740 ;) I've also been accosted by cops -- those jerks. Good luck and keep your head high.

indo said:
DWA? Well, if you guys would lay off the fast and furious stuff you wouldn't be targeted. That 34" wing on the trunk lid of your car isn't exactly camoflauge. The giant 5zigen sticker on the side probably makes cops wonder what parts of your car aren't street legal. If you and your 3 friends had been driving in a 97 ford taurus you wouldn't have been pulled over...unless you guys could pass for Mexicans.

im asian and agree with this post 100%

pinkey said:
Opinions that, according to you, parents should be jailed for if you disagree.

Yup, an opinion is an opinion. =P

indo said:

LOL.......no, no 34" wings on his car. and no stickers or any of that other stupid racer sht. no exhaust, fancy lights, etc..... were not those type of asians. of course we dont look like chumps either, but were definitely not the type that look like trouble makers from the outside. at least i wouldnt think so......

maybe i should invest in a taurus.....

NRAI2001 said:
I dont think asians get too discriminated against by the cops.

well....not if u wear some thick ass glasses, dont comb your hair, and carry a textbook and a laptop all the time. then ofcourse u would never get pulled over for being asian. youd be in the other asian stereotype category: the nerdy, unsocial, book worm flavor of the month......lol. u know the type im talkin about. just watch any hollywood movie with an asian character. 9 times outta 10, hes some fobby nerdy guy trying real hard to be cool (like american pie maybe?)

plus youre stayin in uc berkeley right now. they mess with the black folks up there near oakland, not asians too much. jus come to socal for a bit and youll see. unless u fit the description above...lol.

btw...im a berkeley grad so u can bet i know what im talkin about. i ran the joint up there for 4 years....hahahhaa....j/p

-dl

twoACES said:
well....not if u wear some thick ass glasses, dont comb your hair, and carry a textbook and a laptop all the time. then ofcourse u would never get pulled over for being asian. youd be in the other asian stereotype category: the nerdy, unsocial, book worm flavor of the month......lol. u know the type im talkin about. just watch any hollywood movie with an asian character. 9 times outta 10, hes some fobby nerdy guy trying real hard to be cool (like american pie maybe?)

plus youre stayin in uc berkeley right now. they mess with the black folks up there near oakland, not asians too much. jus come to socal for a bit and youll see. unless u fit the description above...lol.

btw...im a berkeley grad so u can bet i know what im talkin about. i ran the joint up there for 4 years....hahahhaa....j/p

-dl

:laugh: Nice :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
rosenblum said:
Long time visitor to SDN, first time poster.

Last night I was charged with a pretty serious offense. And although I can take it to court, I have no case, and I will be convicted. Now, when I applied to schools I didn't report any convictions since I didn't have any. But now what do I do? I mean, technically I haven't been convicted yet, but it will probably come by the end of the month (so my lawyer says if I don't take this to court). I applied late to med school, I'm competetive (35P & 3.7 GPA at a pretty reputable school), and I know I'll have a bunch of interviews after then. Do I have to update my application and tell them?!! :eek:

Any advice?! :oops: :( :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what you did. But if you harmed someone else intentionally, and the effects are long-term (e.g. they are deeply traumatized), I would look for some other profession. Either that or go into research, where patient contact is minimized. The key word here is intentional; a court can't always correctly validate pre-meditation, but I'm sure you can.

Sicilian said:
I'm not sure what you did. But if you harmed someone else intentionally, and the effects are long-term (e.g. they are deeply traumatized), I would look for some other profession. Either that or go into research, where patient contact is minimized. The key word here is intentional; a court can't always correctly validate pre-meditation, but I'm sure you can.

Doctors arent saints or gods, they are humans. There are many doctors out there that aren't saintly people. Many care about profit first, protecting their own asses next, and then patients.

so whatever happened yaar?

Hermit MMood said:

15 pages of hypocrisy, that's what!

:idea:

LizzyM said:
If you are pleading guilty to a felony, you are in trouble. Get a new (better) lawyer and try to plea bargain.

If this isn't a felony - then maybe it isn't too bad.

Be honest and report this conviction when asked. If you need help for substance abuse or anger management, get it now. It can only help.
Plea bargaining implies pleaing guilty

Judging from this guys other postings, he's an immature tool.

A friend of mine has a DWI from two years ago (BAC of 0.09, just above the legal limit); he had only had a couple of drinks during the night and just had no clue he could possibly be over the limit (skinny guy). If he has even half a beer now, he doesn't drive; more often, he meets us out and just has water/soda. I think this type of mistake is forgivable and he has had to answer questions about it (has been upfront on applications); I'm sure it is hurting his application, but he has gotten in somewhere and interviewed at great schools, so I'm thinking/hoping they realize he made this one mistake, learned from it, and it does not define his character. For those that blatantly judge someone with this transgression, I understand - I used to feel the same way, that DWI = irresponsible alcoholic (and whatever other stigmas are attached). Sometimes, this is the case, but sometimes it really is a one-time mistake that the person learns from and really does pay for (he lost his license for a year, payed various fines, alcohol education class, not to mention having to live with this stigma and have his chances of getting into school jeopardized).

Pewl said:
Yup, an opinion is an opinion. =P

Since enough objections have been expressed against your initial post, I'll save you the whole difference of opinioin/line between discipline and abuse/my own childhood anecdotes, etc.

Although I disagree with you on many points and am generally annoyed by the acusatory tone of your post, I can respect that you feel differently/strongly about this subject. What bothers me the most is that you completely ignore and neglect to respect the cultural differences underlying the notion of disciplining one's own child. I don't know if you're a caucasian, or one of those second-generation asian-americans who despise their asian backgroup, but to think of your views as being more "civilized" and superior, not to mention impose those views in other cultural settings is bordering cultural chauvinism... (okay, I know I'm being a bit dramatic...)

I'm not saying it's okay to use violence. I'm not a cultural relativist and believe that certain things are wrong in any culture. Violence is wrong, but child disciplining, especially in certain asian cultures, cannot be understood at such a superficial level of action. It has traditionally accepted as a form of true parental affection and concern and most children are not scarred by the experience as Freud might suggest. Besides, the whole idolization and isolation of "children" as some holy entity (ie. children can never lie, child-rape is the worst form of rape, children must be shielded from all types of "indecent" sexual exposure, etc.) is only a western concept.

Consider this: sending ill parents to caring fascilities is viewed by certain cultures as a form of abandonment / neglecting duty and is highly frowned upon.

just my two cent

bobob said:
Judging from this guys other postings, he's an immature tool.

A friend of mine has a DWI from two years ago (BAC of 0.09, just above the legal limit); he had only had a couple of drinks during the night and just had no clue he could possibly be over the limit (skinny guy). If he has even half a beer now, he doesn't drive; more often, he meets us out and just has water/soda. I think this type of mistake is forgivable and he has had to answer questions about it (has been upfront on applications); I'm sure it is hurting his application, but he has gotten in somewhere and interviewed at great schools, so I'm thinking/hoping they realize he made this one mistake, learned from it, and it does not define his character. For those that blatantly judge someone with this transgression, I understand - I used to feel the same way, that DWI = irresponsible alcoholic (and whatever other stigmas are attached). Sometimes, this is the case, but sometimes it really is a one-time mistake that the person learns from and really does pay for (he lost his license for a year, payed various fines, alcohol education class, not to mention having to live with this stigma and have his chances of getting into school jeopardized).

It seems the OP has been BANNED from SDN. So that doesn't pose a problem to us.

DUI and DWIs are serious offenses from where I come from, and truth of the matter being, people who have the poor judgement of thinking they can drive while being under the influence of alcohol should not be allowed to med school PERIOD. What if that same person were a doctor and walked into surgery inebriated....What do you think would happen???...What if it were someone close to you?.....I'm sorry but I have known people who have lost or have seriously been injured by drunk drivers...and personally DUI or DWI are two of the worst mistakes you can make. :mad:

I'd rather my doc have a blemish in his past that he learned from (e.g. the guy bobob is talking about)...a severe error in judgment, I agree, but one never made again and one that didn't cause harm to another (I mean a 0.08, 0.09, 0.10, people just don't realize how low this is, and it sounds like this guy, now that he knows, will never make that mistake again). The OP probably doesn't fit this description; I hope he finds another career choice more appealing than medicine in his year off. My point is that there are shades of grey in this world - DWI does not equal horrible person that should be permanently ostracized - should definitely be held accountable but won't necessarily forever lose my respect (unlike the OP). So yeah, I'd rather my doc have that in his distant past than be a judgemental unforgiving pretentious hypocritical person.

C.P. Jones said:
can someone confirm this....some country (I believe Sri Lanka?) had (maybe still has, i learned this in school YEARS ago) that as punishment hit ppl w/ those wooden sticks, leading to a very low crime rate

and then some american kid spraypainted something and got punished as such and everyone got mad

i'm trying my best to find it

Yes its called caning. Its a popular method of punishment in indonesia. An interesting point is that they use medical personnell to actually do the caning. I worked with a doctor from sri lanka while I was with the Marines in the Philippines and he had all kinds of stories about caning.

Just a different culture.

Some of you may remember this thread. I'm a friend of rosenblum, and I thought some of you might be interested in the final outcome.

The charges of battery against a police officer were completely dropped, but he had to plead guilty to the DWI. This was his first offense for anything (excluding a couple of parking tickets), so all he did was a little bit of community service (& attended a few AA meetings).

But the big news is that rosenblum got accepted to a top ten (US news ranking) school, and he's currently pretty happy. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he let the school know about the DWI. So, here you go, all you people wondering about past convictions. It's not the end of the world. :luck:

Some of you may remember this thread. I'm a friend of rosenblum, and I thought some of you might be interested in the final outcome.

The charges of battery against a police officer were completely dropped, but he had to plead guilty to the DWI. This was his first offense for anything (excluding a couple of parking tickets), so all he did was a little bit of community service (& attended a few AA meetings).

But the big news is that rosenblum got accepted to a top ten (US news ranking) school, and he's currently pretty happy. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he let the school know about the DWI. So, here you go, all you people wondering about past convictions. It's not the end of the world. :luck:

Who cares? Not I...and stop bumping threads started in 2005.

I officially nominate this as by far the most random resurrection of a thread i have ever seen...

and the thread itself - i read the first page, all about this rosenblum, then skip to the last (which before today was a year ago) and it talks about beating people with sticks...

yup, most random ever, ever

Thanks for sharing, Rosenblum. And best of luck in med school, seriously.

And stop being a ******ed drunk.

Thanks for sharing, Rosenblum. And best of luck in med school, seriously.

And stop being a ******ed drunk.
i'm not rosenblum. Look at my posts, i'm a dental student. I went to college with rosenblum, and he recently told me about this thread he had created way back when.

I do remember this thread, and I don't think we should be giving anyone too hard of a time for such a resurrection.